Developers will have games run on both the PC and Switch. My Pixel 7 Pro is more powerful than the Switch but does not get those same games! That makes me so freaking angry! Like I cannot contain it anymore! I am done with smartphones entirely! Developers won't port to them? Well then, no more upgrading to powerful phones!

I am downgrading my Pixel 7 Pro to an HTC ONE X. It being 32-bit-only means that there is an actual technical reason as to why it cannot run those games. No more bashing my head against the wall waiting for developers to support Android officially. No more bashing my head against the wall waiting for Yuzu to better support Mali GPUs. I will just use an HTC ONE X for most normal smartphone stuff, with the very best I can expect out of it being Dreamcast games.

One way I shown I was already giving up on Android devices was trying to find a used gaming laptop and a cellular module. Unfortunately, the cellular modules are too hard to find or are too expensive.

Edited by Smithfield

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that developers would suddenly start porting their modern games over to phones. This has never been the case. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that developers would suddenly start porting their modern games over to phones. This has never been the case. 

I just said that I am pissed that developers can theoretically port their games to Android, as Android is more powerful than the Switch, but they chose not to! This feels arbitrary and stupid. I am bashing my head against the wall until I somehow magically think that phones are less powerful than the Switch. It is not like my brain really will be used for much anyway.

4 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

as Android is more powerful than the Switch

Leaving aside the whole dependency and architectural argument for a moment, your phone may be more powerful than a switch (I'm not sure where you are getting that from, but maybe it's true) but that doesn't mean that most Android phones are more powerful than a Switch. And when you are porting something like a videogame and selling it on a platform, you need to support the majority of users there. Games would have to support the lowest common denominator of Android phone available, which is pretty low-end.

This isn't to say anything about need to completely re-vamp control schemes to be usable with touch controls... or it's on ARM... or it's a completely different OS with different architecture. 

Again, modern console games have never released for modern devices. I'm not sure why you would expect them to now. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

I mean, I fully understand that you really don't need a super powerful or latest phone nowadays, but going down to a HTC One X is not exactly a good idea either. That phone hasn't been getting software support for almost a decade at this point and doesn't have most of the modern cellular bands, meaning that you won't get service in a lot of places, and if you do you wouldn't want to have it connected anyway as it's a giant liability to be signed into anything with it. Plus most apps no longer support it, so basically nothing but the preinstalled apps will launch on there either. 

1 minute ago, Smithfield said:

I just said that I am pissed that developers can theoretically port their games to Android, as Android is more powerful than the Switch, but they chose not to! This feels arbitrary and stupid. I am bashing my head against the wall until I somehow magically think that phones are less powerful than the Switch

An M-series Mac is more powerful than an Android phone, Switch, and most Windows based computers, that doesn't mean that it has a port for most games. There's a lot more that goes into a game port than you're thinking there is, and while they theoretically could port games over 1) controls would be limited because you only have a touch screen rather than physical buttons so a lot of mechanics would have to be reworked, 2) it would take quite a bit of money to port over for a platform, and 3) wouldn't likely make a ton of money as the phone gaming market isn't necessarily that big and (at least when I cared to look) was quite easy to pirate on. 

There's more that goes into this decision than just raw horsepower. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

An M-series Mac is more powerful than an Android phone, Switch, and most Windows based computers, that doesn't mean that it has a port for most games. There's a lot more that goes into a game port than you're thinking there is, and while they theoretically could port games over 1) controls would be limited because you only have a touch screen rather than physical buttons so a lot of mechanics would have to be reworked, 2) it would take quite a bit of money to port over for a platform, and 3) wouldn't likely make a ton of money as the phone gaming market isn't necessarily that big and (at least when I cared to look) was quite easy to pirate on.

Then how come there is Yuzu for Android? Clearly enough people want this to happen that there is even a Switch emulator for Android. Unfortunately, my Pixel 7 Pro cannot run it because Mali GPU. Anyway, how do I forget that ARM64 devices are plenty powerful? How can I convince myself that there is no Yuzu for Android? How can I convince myself that phones are horribly underpowered?

2 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

Anyway, how do I forget that ARM64 devices are plenty powerful? How can I convince myself that there is no Yuzu for Android? How can I convince myself that phones are horribly underpowered?

Why do you need to convince yourself of anything? 

Yuzu is an open-source project. Why not go contribute to it? Be the change you want to see in the world.

ask me about my homelab

2 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

Then how come there is Yuzu for Android? Clearly enough people want this to happen that there is even a Switch emulator for Android.

Because the open source guys are weird. There's a port of Half Life 1 on Android if you want to use that, it supported Google Cardboard VR as well, doesn't mean many people actually used it. As for there being enough people who want it to happen, just for comparison:

yuzu is at 500K downloads

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c82c6f947a4680514e5e8fdec1788671.png

Asphalt 9 is at over 100M. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.22401b9ff137395d821e85149179ebc4.png

It may technically be there, but that doesn't mean that that many people care about it. Phone games have to be something that you can play on the bus and not take up more than 20 minutes of your time to be successful, not something that a lot of Switch or PC games are designed around. 

Just now, Smithfield said:

Anyway, how do I forget that ARM64 devices are plenty powerful? How can I convince myself that there is no Yuzu for Android? How can I convince myself that phones are horribly underpowered?

They aren't, they're just not the right tool for the job.

Your car is almost certainly more powerful than a lawn mower, that doesn't mean you would use your car to mow your lawn. The same principle applies here. 

Anyway, a bunch of members of the Yuzu discord server are trying to get me to join the cult that has formed around the Red Magic 8S Pro. Should I join the, or save my money and downgrade?

1 minute ago, Smithfield said:

Anyway, a bunch of members of the Yuzu discord server are trying to get me to join the cult that has formed around the Red Magic 8S Pro. Should I join the, or save my money and downgrade?

Huh? You have a Pixel 7 Pro. Why would you get another flagship phone when you are so disgusted with the platform? 

ask me about my homelab

9 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Huh? You have a Pixel 7 Pro. Why would you get another flagship phone when you are so disgusted with the platform? 

Because currently Yuzu can only run on Adreno GPU (Qualcomm)

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Because currently Yuzu can only run on Adreno GPU (Qualcomm)

I mentioned the Red Magic 8S Pro cult earlier. The Red Magic 8S Pro does in fact, have the last Qualcomm SoC I can possibly use, and has Adreno, obviously. The guy you are replying to was replying to me about upgrading from my Pixel 7 Pro to the Red Magic 8S Pro.

3 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

I mentioned the Red Magic 8S Pro cult earlier. The Red Magic 8S Pro does in fact, have the last Qualcomm SoC I can possibly use, and has Adreno, obviously. The guy you are replying to was replying to me about upgrading from my Pixel 7 Pro to the Red Magic 8S Pro.

I know.

At current Red Magic 8s price though, that's basically a Rog Ally or Steam Deck. No?

And Rog Ally surely can play more games 😛 . I mean that as in : Can run emus & play windows based games.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I know.

At current Red Magic 8s price though, that's basically a Rog Ally or Steam Deck. No?

And Rog Ally surely can play more games 😛

But neither the Steam Deck nor the Asus ROG Ally have a cellular option, or I otherwise would have already upgraded.

Just now, Smithfield said:

But neither the Steam Deck nor the Asus ROG Ally have a cellular option, or I otherwise would have already upgraded.

And.... why does it has to have cellular again ?

Refresh before you reply

And.... why does it has to have cellular again ?

So I don't have to downgrade my Pixel 7 Pro to an older device in order to also have one of these.

11 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

So I don't have to downgrade my Pixel 7 Pro to an older device in order to also have one of these.

Well then. Your path has been laid out.
If you want to play switch game that much, a phone with Qualcomm inside.

Unless you have a laptop / pc that can run it.

Although if I were to be frank, you pondered the idea of downgrading to a 32-bit no support phone purely out of spite anyway.

If you are to downgrade to buy let's say a Rog Ally , it is much more better than downgrading out of spite only.  At the very least, it sounds less silly.

But if you wants to go the phone upgrade route, that's fine too.

Just make sure Yuzu's development on android is good / fast enough.

Refresh before you reply

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If you want to play switch game that much, a phone with Qualcomm inside

OR.. or.. and bear with me now, because this may be a bit radical...

Buy a switch?

ask me about my homelab

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

OR.. or.. and bear with me now, because this may be a bit radical...

Buy a switch?

Fair enough, half price of rog ally or red magic.

Also half the FPS I guess. 😂 (At least compared to like rog ally I guess)

Although, if Nintendo really go through with their plan of adding Denuvo, might be the best option for playing switch games without waiting half a year to 2 years. FPS might tank tho.

Refresh before you reply

So buy an Asus ROG Ally and downgrade to the HTC ONE X? Do both? I can do that! I can do anything! I have a Pixel 7 Pro in my skull, so I can do anything! I will just not buy a new phone because I will then expect too much from it and developers will not deliver.

Beats having to use Huawei Mobile Partner anyway.

Edited by Smithfield

6 hours ago, Smithfield said:

So buy an Asus ROG Ally and downgrade to the HTC ONE X? Do both? I can do that! I can do anything! I have a Pixel 7 Pro in my skull, so I can do anything! I will just not buy a new phone because I will then expect too much from it and developers will not deliver.

Beats having to use Huawei Mobile Partner anyway.

Well, you first gotta research about how's the performance of the thing you want to run on Ally and/or Steam Deck.

I assume today's Emu is the same as old time Emu, which is : Compatibility & performance differs from game to game.

Refresh before you reply