Buying locally vs Importing

Hey all!

I am currently in the process of buying and subsequently building my first pc. Now, the build is only in the future currently, but I have been looking through prices both on local (Hungarian) markets and on PC part picker for the US prices. The not-so-funny thing I have found is the PC which would currently cost about 1460 USD if I imported the parts, would jump up to about 2063 USD if I bought it locally. Now, of course, this is a bit of a problem, considering the fact that if I had 2000 dollars then I wouldn't want to build a 1500 dollar PC.

So, what do you guys think about importing the parts from the other side of the world? How much could it go wrong? What would you guys do? 

One thing to look into is the import tariffs, as even though the items are usually cheaper in the US, the taxes to get said items into your country can be rather expensive, to the point where it might be cheaper to just buy everything locally anyway. Don't know how it is in Hungary, but I remember there are some countries in Europe that are like that so it's worth looking into. 

The other problem that you can run into is if you have to RMA, you'd likely have to send it back to the American location and thus it can get kinda expensive. 

5 minutes ago, HadesP said:

Hey all!

I am currently in the process of buying and subsequently building my first pc. Now, the build is only in the future currently, but I have been looking through prices both on local (Hungarian) markets and on PC part picker for the US prices. The not-so-funny thing I have found is the PC which would currently cost about 1460 USD if I imported the parts, would jump up to about 2063 USD if I bought it locally. Now, of course, this is a bit of a problem, considering the fact that if I had 2000 dollars then I wouldn't want to build a 1500 dollar PC.

So, what do you guys think about importing the parts from the other side of the world? How much could it go wrong? What would you guys do? 

Not understanding your question, since the world itself is one large market in this day and age.

I routinely buy from all over the world, and since components are manufactured in Asia, they start there anyway.

Buy where you can, reputable components from reputable companies.  Any issues, verify their warranty and RMA language.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

PSU are a special case. While an imported one will almost certainly work on the local power grid, it may not come with an appropriate power cable. It may also not be approved by authorities for use on the local grid. This can lead to insurance and other issues.

As attractive as US prices may look, by the time one adds shipping,  insurance, import duties and taxes they are usually not nearly as  competitive as they first appeared. And while international shipping is much easier and more reliable these days, when things go wrong it can become a nightmare. Shipping issues can add weeks of delay which can lead to RMA problems should a return be necessary. (Well, returns are not usually worthwhile given the paperwork and costs involved.)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Let's see :

Import Tarrifs
Possibility of a lot of hassle and fee when shit hits the fan
Possibility of broken during overseas shipping

Whether or not to import, mainly I look at the price difference after adding shipping fee & import tariffs first.

If the difference is big enough, I might import, but only items that I'm sure will be fine in shipping. And things that don't leave me with like $1000 worth brick due to local distributor refusing warranty claim & shipping fee back and forth to overseas is too expensive.

Importing tech stuffs from US to my country usually only have like $100 - $200 [ after recounting my experience, it's $50 - $300 depending on how much price gouging local sellers try to sell it ] price difference after I factor in tarrifs & tax. While it sounds quite a lot, local distributor will reject claims, so I will have to ship it back to US or Taiwan, most likely on my own money. So I end up just buying locally.

Unless you pick like UPS or DHL some kind of premium service  or something (Which usually expensive), chances are it will get :

- Thrown / Dropped (either intentionaly or accidentaly)

- Put underneath other stuffs

- Shaken a lot

- Etc

Despite the "Fragile" label on it.

No idea how correct this is :

Hungary.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

46 minutes ago, HadesP said:

Hey all!

All of the EU adds a 20% VAT to anything, and sellers tend to not use current FX rates (because they've bought things at another rate) and keep some share on it as well

So more often than not a 1500USD item ends up costing 1800EUR in Europe...

It's really easy to shop in another EU country as there's no tarrifs and VAT is already applied, and usually Germany has better prices on the continent

Orders from more distant countries can have additional tarrifs, get held for some times at customs, and shipping can be costly if the item is big; not sure there's much to gain here

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Remember, US shows no tax so by the time they add their tax the price difference isn't that crazy anymore. Still a bit cheaper but that's just economies of scale by then.

Buying from abroad, especially used my biggest concern is shipping damage. I've had stuff smashed. Import tax is a thing but how costly I've no idea how they calculate that.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Let’s also not forget warranty if it ends up being needed. Most companies will require you to send the parts back to USA for warranty since that’s where they’re bought from. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Pretty sure that if it gets broken during shipping, chances are the 2 parties (sellers & shipping) gonna play blame game for awhile.
So you're stuck with broken item while they investigate and stuffs, who knows how long that will take.

In my country, even for things I bought locally, in the same city.

The investigation might take up to 14 work days.

My one tip is this : If you decide to import, make sure you record video from the moment you unpack the stuff up to the testing phase.

Hopefully never needed, but if it is needed, you already have it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, HadesP said:

Hey all!

I used to do it constantly when i had friends who lived there. I'd ship the orders to their addresses and they would send me the parts as personal belongings and no import or VAT added, so it was an excellent deal. However most of them returned back because they say it's now basically unlivable there and i have no one i can trust now. As for the Import fees, better get a proper fee calculator from your government, because import duties usually are applied on the product's price + shipping, then the VAT is added and on that final sum, you have import duties. Some times it even gets to double the price of what it costs in the US.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

6 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Not understanding your question, since the world itself is one large market in this day and age.

I routinely buy from all over the world, and since components are manufactured in Asia, they start there anyway.

Buy where you can, reputable components from reputable companies.  Any issues, verify their warranty and RMA language.

The OP is speaking of tariffs .. such as living in a EU country and purchasing components from Germany for example. Import fees + VAT + shipping.

12 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

The OP is speaking of tariffs .. such as living in a EU country and purchasing components from Germany for example. Import fees + VAT + shipping.

The OP is asking about issues buying non-local.  he's concerned about how to deal with non local parts if there are issues...

"So, what do you guys think about importing the parts from the other side of the world? How much could it go wrong? What would you guys do? "

Hence my answer.  Importing from other side of the world is a non-issue from reputable resellers.  

He is concerned if he saves a lot of money by importing, will he be screwed if there is an issue.  Nope.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi