10 Gig Synology

Anyone else messed with 10g NICs in their synology? Ive got a RS2421+ id like to add a 10g card into. 

All it does is store backups and we have 2 (for now, trying to move to 3 bare metal) VM's that verify backup integrity and they are both maxing out their NICs accessing this NAS. 

Right now the two VMs access the NAS over the network though a Unifi Enterprise switch. All switch ports (24+2) support 10g connections.

My manager suggested Twinax to connect the NAS to the ESXi host. While I think this would work, Im opposed because I want to move to multiple bare metal servers instead of 1 server with VM's. 

Thoughts on SFP vs 10g RJ45? Ideally I want to stay with direct attach but that may not work if we cant get another switch with more SFP.

Thoughts on networked vs Twinax? 

Do I need a add-in card from synology to put in the NAS? Im assuming I do.

Thanks

Edit: I have just realized the Synology already has 10g ports

Breaking things 1 day at a time

6 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I want to move to multiple bare metal servers instead of 1 server with VM's

May I ask you why you're considering this path instead of keeping single server with VMs?

RS2421+ as default have 4x1GBe ports. An addon card as been already installed?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

May I ask you why you're considering this path instead of keeping single server with VMs?

RS2421+ as default have 4x1GBe ports. An addon card as been already installed?

It must be installed and I didnt realize it. Just now actually paid attention and LAN 5/6 are connected at 10000.

My reasoning is I would like to use the 'verify images successfully boot' option in the backup verification software, and the manufacturer (Arcserve) says you should be bare metal do to it. Im assuming it just gets complicated when you have VM's inside of VM's. 

I went right from a DS415+ to an overkill 2U server, so I haven't messed with 10gbe on a Synology, but I havemessed with 10 gig in general.

8 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Thoughts on SFP vs 10g RJ45? Ideally I want to stay with direct attach but that may not work if we cant get another switch with more SFP.

If your devices are right next to each other, you can't beat the price of DACs. SFPs also let you use cheap fiber and retired enterprise switches.

That cheapness can come back to bite you though, since 10GBASE-T SFPs will cost you at least $40 per port.

If everything you have supports 10GBASE-T, then all you need for your interconnects are standard Cat6 patch cables. Your switches will be more expensive, and 10 gig stuff generally doesn't support the new 5 gig and 2.5 gig consumer standards anyway.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I can understand the goal. IMVHO it's a lacking feature from ARCServe compared to other products that work "nicer" with VMs and nested virtualization. Which might be not the best idea, but someimes you got to do what you got to do.

Anyway... good luck. Lan 5/6 tells me... dual port 10GBe adapter? sweeet... I adore redundancy.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

I went right from a DS415+ to an overkill 2U server, so I haven't messed with 10gbe on a Synology, but I havemessed with 10 gig in general.

If your devices are right next to each other, you can't beat the price of DACs. SFPs also let you use cheap fiber and retired enterprise switches.

That cheapness can come back to bite you though, since 10GBASE-T SFPs will cost you at least $40 per port.

If everything you have supports 10GBASE-T, then all you need for your interconnects are standard Cat6 patch cables. Your switches will be more expensive, and 10 gig stuff generally doesn't support the new 5 gig and 2.5 gig consumer standards anyway.

They are in the same rack located in a datacenter. Its used for legitimate backups, not just hobby. And yeah SFP is cheap. I think we are less concerned with price (to an extent) and more about throughput. 

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

They are in the same rack located in a datacenter. Its used for legitimate backups, not just hobby. And yeah SFP is cheap. I think we are less concerned with price (to an extent) and more about throughput. 

Throughput is all about the same.

If it's just a direct connection between the boxes without a switch, go with DACs. If you're connecting through a switch (or think you may need to in the future), go with fiber.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 8/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, mMontana said:

I can understand the goal. IMVHO it's a lacking feature from ARCServe compared to other products that work "nicer" with VMs and nested virtualization. Which might be not the best idea, but someimes you got to do what you got to do.

Anyway... good luck. Lan 5/6 tells me... dual port 10GBe adapter? sweeet... I adore redundancy.

Wym lacking feature? Sorry, feel like its obvious im just dumb. 

What other products do you see as options? Honestly we have had ALOT of issues with Arcserve products. They were working well for us when we had ~20 managed folders, but we acquired alot of customers at once and now we are up to 114 managed folders.

We were supposed to have an internal discussion regarding VEEAM but that never happened. 

Going to be starting another post about the Ensure VMs boot feature in a minute. 

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

We were supposed to have an internal discussion regarding VEEAM but that never happened.

For 10 guests (client) VEEAM can be used and tested... without paying for licences.

Veeam as paid software is not cheap, but IMVHO is worth time and resources at least for testing. 

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

For 10 guests (client) VEEAM can be used and tested... without paying for licences.

Veeam as paid software is not cheap, but IMVHO is worth time and resources at least for testing. 

Ive heard. I like the idea of it a little more. I think SPX offers better timeline options if you need to browse the file system, but I hear VEEAM is much better if you have to completely restore a VM as it backs up ESXi VM's instead of Windows. 

Again, 114 total managed folders currently