GPU Compatibility and Performance Questions for Dell Precision Tower 3240

GavinM

Hello everyone,

I own a Dell Precision Tower 3240 featuring an Intel i7-7700 processor. My aim is to enable gaming on this system without creating a significant CPU bottleneck. However, there are two challenges I'm facing in finding a suitable GPU. Firstly, it must be low-profile, and secondly, it must consume less than 75W due to the proprietary Power Supply. After thorough research, I have identified a potential solution in the Nvidia RTX A2000. This card not only fits the 75W requirement but also outperforms other low-profile options, albeit at a higher price point. It's worth noting that according to online bottleneck calculator websites, the A2000 only slightly bottlenecks my processor. But the card is a dual slot and so only fits into my x4 slot, not the x16.

Here's my questions:

1. Is there a way to utilize a riser cable to make use of the x16 slot, from the x4 slot's position?

2. Is it feasible to convert a full-height GPU into a low-profile one to fit within the case? Could I then replace the PSU with a compatible 315W unit and use adapters to power it effectively?

3. If neither of the above options is viable, would it be better to utilize the A2000 in the x4 slot or opt for a GTX 1650 (the next best low-profile card) in the x16 slot?

Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Best regards,
GavinM

20230828_155200.jpg

I feel like instead of investing in a graphics card, you should invest in a new case / power supply. So you do not have to deal with the proprietary issues in the future. I imagine your asking these questions because you don't feel like spending more money then you have to on the computer; but these upgrades would make your computer much more upgrade friendly.