Arctic Liquid Freezer II - idle cpu at 95c

mirai99
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
1 minute ago, mirai99 said:

I have a 5900x with Liquid Freezer II 280 for 2.5 years now. Today it suddenly went to 95c while browsing internet and light background tasks. I let it sit off a while and launched into bios. It went to 65 then 70 then 75 so i decided to turn it off again.

LF2 vrm fan still spins, the radiator fans daisy chained to the LF2 still spin. Is it possible only the pumping function got shot randomly?

An AIO pump can definitely fail and the loop can get clogged.   Boot your PC and let the temp hit 95c, hold the tubes coming out of the pump and feel if they get warm at all, if they are not warming up then the water is not circulating. 

I have a 5900x with Liquid Freezer II 280 for 2.5 years now. Today it suddenly went to 95c while browsing internet and light background tasks. I let it sit off a while and launched into bios. It went to 65 then 70 then 75 so i decided to turn it off again.

LF2 vrm fan still spins, the radiator fans daisy chained to the LF2 still spin. Is it possible only the pumping function got shot randomly?

1 minute ago, mirai99 said:

An AIO pump can definitely fail and the loop can get clogged.   Boot your PC and let the temp hit 95c, hold the tubes coming out of the pump and feel if they get warm at all, if they are not warming up then the water is not circulating. 

29 minutes ago, mirai99 said:

They are warm near the aio, not near the radiator... RMA it is. I think this has 6 year warranty thankfully.

If you can take advantage of the RMA / warranty then do so 🙂  Good luck!
This is also why I stick with beefy aircoolers 😄

1 hour ago, mirai99 said:

Those AiOs have a known issue. Did you ever do the suggested repair?

Sadly clickbait channels like LTT don't cover these kinds of issues, but you'll find an explanation on GN: 

38 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Those AiOs have a known issue. Did you ever do the suggested repair?

Sadly clickbait channels like LTT don't cover these kinds of issues, but you'll find an explanation on GN: 

I'd always go the RMA route as an end user fix is not going to ensure 100% removal of the gunk from the loop and the whole point of buying an AIO is to not have to deal with this sort of thing.

Worth also noting is the newer models with "6 year warranty" printed on the box I think shouldn't have the issue, as he noted above they only extended the warranty after the problem.  This is concerning as I bought a 240 from a supposedly good later batch myself, so I really hope the OP in an outlier as it would be annoying if its not.  Be curious to know how old theirs is.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd always go the RMA route as an end user fix is not going to ensure 100% removal of the gunk from the loop and the whole point of buying an AIO is to not have to deal with this sort of thing.

Worth also noting is the newer models with "6 year warranty" printed on the box I think shouldn't have the issue, as he noted above they only extended the warranty after the problem.  This is concerning as I bought a 240 from a supposedly good later batch myself, so I really hope the OP in an outlier as it would be annoying if its not.  Be curious to know how old theirs is.

They claim the problem started in May 2021. I installed mine in December 2020 so i was not in their "affected list" so i did not  contact them for the repair kit. Mine is rev.2 and has 2 year warranty printed on box (but they extended all LF2 warranties retroactively).

I am buying NHD15s to use in my system for the time being.

10 hours ago, mirai99 said:

They claim the problem started in May 2021. I installed mine in December 2020 so i was not in their "affected list" so i did not  contact them for the repair kit. Mine is rev.2 and has 2 year warranty printed on box (but they extended all LF2 warranties retroactively).

I am buying NHD15s to use in my system for the time being.

There are better, cheaper coolers than NH-D15s now though.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7