Regarding Sony et al. Vs Internet Archive (Python)

fuxwmagx

Hello! Firstly, the audience for this topic is for archivists and data hoarders. Not so much about the programming that went on here which leads me into the goal of this post. I’d like to spread awareness about this tool regarding comments made by Linus during the most recent WAN show about the Internet Archive’s legal woes.

I read into it a little, and I didn’t like what I saw. Also, I love the archive but it’s not easily accessible to most people when you’re looking at hundreds (in this case hundreds of thousands!) of files. I wrote this tool to address this problem, making collection of the torrent files in Great 78 quite a bit more straightforward. I want to be clear that this does not download the content of files hosted by the archive, it merely collects and downloads the torrent files. It is not a torrent client. It is simply to make sharing this collection significantly easier for myself, and hopefully others.

More information, about both the tool and the suit, is available in the readme file in the repo: http://github.com/ech0riginal/phonograpy

I’m not a lawyer, but I wanted to do something. I’m just a programmer by trade so I whipped up a script this afternoon. I don’t plan on maintaining it in any way. Comments and questions are most welcome but if you’d like a feature I encourage you to fork the repository. 

Hope y’all are well, cheers!