Question about cable extensions..

gizmetti

So I'm looking in to doing some more modding on my PC but I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the concept of 24pin ATX extension cables and others of the same ilk. If it's just an extension then that would leave the cable exposed to the PSU to still be the original cable.. so would I need to buy two? one for the mobo and one for the PSU with the original 24pin in the middle? Wouldn't that make the cable WAY too long? I just don't get it. Am I better off taking the time and sleeving my own connectors? Anyone have any examples or builds to reference?

huh? the end of the 24 pin that would normally go into your motherboard connects to the extension on one side, and the other side goes into the motherboard. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

If you're talking about typical extensions like these then they just attach to the end of the cable coming out of the psu then directly connect to the mobo or whatever. Then you just tuck in the ugly stock part of the cable behind the motherboard tray or something

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

huh? the end of the 24 pin that would normally go into your motherboard connects to the extension on one side, and the other side goes into the motherboard. 

Yes I know!! I'm saying the other end that goes into the PSU would still be a non-modded cable and in most cases you can see the PSU. So I was wondering what the point of the cable looking half-modded is.

Most cables like this that you can buy are indeed just extensions and will have the original cable coming out of the psu. If your psu is modular then there is a chance that the company has sleeved cable kits that you can buy. Most people don't mind just having extensions because the cable coming out of the psu is normally tucked away and almost out of sight.

Most cables like this that you can buy are indeed just extensions and will have the original cable coming out of the psu. If your psu is modular then there is a chance that the company has sleeved cable kits that you can buy. Most people don't mind just having extensions because the cable coming out of the psu is normally tucked away and almost out of sight.

Oh ok. In most cases that I've seen the PSU has been in clear sight which is why I was confused. I have a Corsair RM850... where would I look to see if those cables exist? I've been on frozencpu.com which has some really cool stuff but I can only find extensions

Cable extensions do NOT connect to a PSU because each PSU has proprietary connectors on it. On the 24pin side of the sable is a standard, so you can sue extensions only on that end. If you want the cables coming from the PSU to be sleeved, you will need to buy a sleeved cable kit from corsair. Their sleeved cables are only for some power supplies, so make sure you have the right cables for your power supply, or you will need to buy a new PSU. If you want to spend 50 hours sleeving your own cables thats fine too, as long as you know exactly what you are doing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh ok. In most cases that I've seen the PSU has been in clear sight which is why I was confused. I have a Corsair RM850... where would I look to see if those cables exist? I've been on frozencpu.com which has some really cool stuff but I can only find extensions

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18827/psu-cab-46/Corsair_Professional_Series_Individually_Sleeved_DC_Modular_Cable_Kit_Type_3_Generation_2_-_Blue_CP-8920046.html

These kinds of cables should work with your psu. It's quite expensive but you might just be able to get certain cables by themselves.

Cable extensions do NOT connect to a PSU because each PSU has proprietary connectors on it. On the 24pin side of the sable is a standard, so you can sue extensions only on that end. If you want the cables coming from the PSU to be sleeved, you will need to buy a sleeved cable kit from corsair. Their sleeved cables are only for some power supplies, so make sure you have the right cables for your power supply, or you will need to buy a new PSU. If you want to spend 50 hours sleeving your own cables thats fine too, as long as you know exactly what you are doing.

Thank you

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18827/psu-cab-46/Corsair_Professional_Series_Individually_Sleeved_DC_Modular_Cable_Kit_Type_3_Generation_2_-_Blue_CP-8920046.html

These kinds of cables should work with your psu. It's quite expensive but you might just be able to get certain cables by themselves.

You're all beautiful people

Cable extensions are cheaper, because you're obviously getting half (sometimes less) of the material. People buy extensions to save money, or if they have hardwired connections, it saves them from having to have the PSU taken apart and cables sleeved. It's also much much much easier to achieve the "curved" look with extensions (without using cable combs).