Getting rid of my MacBook Air M1

I have decided to get rid of my MacBook Air M1.  It was good but because of what I do for a living I need more in terms of productivity and features.  I am looking for something windows based.  any thoughts on good laptops?  Framework has caught my eye

Well... What do you need to be able to do on the laptop? What are features that you need the most? Battery life, weight, cpu power, gpu power, size/portability?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Just now, TylerD321 said:

Well... What do you need to be able to do on the laptop? What are features that you need the most? Battery life, weight, cpu power, gpu power, size/portability?

has to be portable because I do a lot of traveling both in cars and on planes.  battery life, and has to run a good video editing suite as part of my job entails capturing footage and editing

3 minutes ago, drmlnr1 said:

has to be portable because I do a lot of traveling both in cars and on planes.  battery life, and has to run a good video editing suite as part of my job entails capturing footage and editing

What specific program do you use?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

6 minutes ago, drmlnr1 said:

and has to run a good video editing suite as part of my job entails capturing footage and editing

As an totally not Apple fan... buy an M2 mac. If Final Cut pro can live with your workflow, currently nothig is power efficient as Apple ARM SoC.

Otherwise... you need not only a laptopt with a discreet CPU and USB-PD support, but also... a huge powerbank for 65W of output. 

Video editing (rendering, mostly) chew battery more than a hamster do with food.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

As much as I want to give you some laptops to choose from, unfortunately newer Macbook is probably a much better choice.
All Macbooks will give you full power on battery power alone, be much more efficient, be very light and last you the whole day. If you need more power, just buy Macbook Pro if Air is insufficient for you.

I tried choosing a new Windows laptop myself and ended up with Macbook Air. All other laptops just had too many flaws. That is a sad truth because there are no competition right now because Macbooks are simply too good.

Just now, fohatadri said:

Macbooks are simply too good.

Cough cough...

Soldered RAM

Cough cough...

Soldered storage

Cough cough...

No thirdy party compatibility

Cough cough...

Lock in for repair

Cough cough...

Humoungous overprice for upgrades on the same model (ram and SSD)

Cough cough...

Dogsh!t repariability

Apple products have its thorns.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

8 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Cough cough...

Soldered RAM

Cough cough...

Soldered storage

Cough cough...

No thirdy party compatibility

Cough cough...

Lock in for repair

Cough cough...

Humoungous overprice for upgrades on the same model (ram and SSD)

Cough cough...

Dogsh!t repariability

Apple products have its thorns.

Of course it has it's issues but they are what pretty much every Apple device was and is, nothing new here. Other manufacturers are also moving to this business model. 

As a productivity device, it's unbeatable. As sad as it is. Believe, I wouldn't want to own Apple devices if they weren't so damn good.

1 minute ago, fohatadri said:

Other manufacturers are also moving to this business model. 

They can't. They don't have the store nor the OS

1 minute ago, fohatadri said:

As a productivity device, it's unbeatable

Meet Panasonic Toughbook, or any other Military grade laptop.

Apple is not "magic" and "better than anyone", it's simply a product that can (or cannot) fit your needs. Unless if you ask to Apple itself, they say "the best (put any word here for descripe anything related to cupertino) yet.

Ask to magic mouse users... they cannot charge and use the mouse at the same time.

Brilliant design, undoubtely.

or users of iPhone via USB for transferring data. still usb 2.0.

Brilliant decision, undoubtely.

Just now, mMontana said:

They can't. They don't have the store nor the OS

5 minutes ago, fohatadri said:

Same business model meaning all soldered components, expensive upgrades, rough repairability scores and etc.

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Good one mate.

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Ask to magic mouse users... they cannot charge and use the mouse at the same time.

Brilliant design, undoubtely.

or users of iPhone via USB for transferring data. still usb 2.0.

Brilliant decision, undoubtely.

None of these sentences are about laptops, which is exactly the topic.

If you want to go on a rant of why you hate Apple and their devices, the door is behind you.

I don't have to rant on anything. I think that these are only facts. 

I don't hate Apple, I simply don't like how bad they treat its customers. And I have no issue to... suggest buy their products. Scroll up. 🙂

1 hour ago, TylerD321 said:

What specific program do you use?

I've tried davinci and found its good

21 hours ago, mMontana said:

I'm sorry, Toughbook? 11th gen chips? 5 pound laptops that are 1.3in thick? Double the price of similarly specced laptops? 768p panel? There is a very specific person that's buying Toughbooks and it is not any version of a "normal" customer, it's industrial firms who need something bulletproof for really tough scenarios (cops, rigs, ag, etc). Come on, man.

For OP, might be worth looking at Dell Latitudes with 13th gen chips, getting decent battery life, some modularity. They have the XPS Plus which is also interesting with its P series chip (rather than the lower power U series) but it makes some design sacrifices to pack that chip into an ultraportable chassis. Still pretty nice though, worth a look.

40 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

Come on, man.

Totally correct. Apple size is not one size fits all. 😉

A toughbook (not only that) is a kind of laptop that Apple doesn't deliver.

@drmlnr1 Framework is fine, if you're all in for maximum repairability and modularity. But stay away from Intel 11th Gen, they are slow. That will be MUCH slower than your m1.

You might want to take a look into the new Ideapad 5 Pro 14APH G8 generation.

It comes with a sexy 2,8k Screen with 120 Hz, Zen4 (Ryzyen 7 7840HS) that can actually draw some Power, can be configured with 32gb Ram, and has a huge 75 Wh Battery for a 14" device.

Here in Germany, there's a student version for 899€ with 1TB/32gb Ram, Ryzen 7 7840HS. Soo there's chances, something similar is around 1000 bucks in other countries.

Maybe Thinkpad Z13 with lower 6-Core and 1200p Screen, that can last a while on battery, but not sure how quick it drops while videoediting.

It's legit to switch back to Windows, however do NOT expect to find a single Device with a similar batterylife whiel doing video editing on the go. Nothing is as efficient as Apple in this Area.

Before buying any Windows OS laptops... don't forget to check upgradeability and repairability.

Corporate/Business laptopts usually are more repairable and upgradable than high end, ultra high end, ultrabook and home laptop.

are you gonna give it to freinds or family? or throw it away

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

On 8/29/2023 at 9:46 AM, djksm said:

are you gonna give it to freinds or family? or throw it away

What I'm going to do is factory reset it and give it to my wife as a surprise birthday gift early since her old laptop won't work anymore.  

On 9/2/2023 at 9:39 PM, drmlnr1 said:

What I'm going to do is factory reset it and give it to my wife as a surprise birthday gift early since her old laptop won't work anymore.  

oh ok thats nice, my dad does that when he upgrades each year and my mom always has a good laptop

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

I would most definitely stick to a Mac if you don't have an explicit reason to switch. In terms of battery life they are class leading, and unlike most windows laptops the performance on battery is identical to when it's connected to power. Also Resolve seems to be pretty well optimised for Apple Silicon. 

But

If you want to switch away from Mac/macOS, I would definitely go with an AMD powered laptop over Intel, as the U series CPUs (f.e. 1355U) are not as powerful and the P (f.e. 1280P) series are often found in thin and light designs that are not cooled properly, thus thermal throttle/are loud. (f.e. Dell XPS 13 Plus, LG Gram, etc.)

On 8/25/2023 at 3:19 AM, drmlnr1 said:

Have a look at one of the Razer Blades, Acer Triton X17 or one of the Lenovo Legion Slim Models. The Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Ultra is also one to look out for.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case