Genuine ingress protection (IPxx) code check ?

KaKi87

Hello,

How to check that the ingress protection (IPxx) code that a manufacturer advertises for a product is genuine ?

I suppose the concerned authorithies would intervene if some big tech were to lie about their IP certifications, but I'm more worried about unknown manufacturers on Amazon, for example.

On some products, people comment :

I hope the IP68 rating is real

But personally I don't want to hope, I want to make sure.

I googled that question but didn't find any answer, nor anyone else asking, for that matter. 🤔

Thanks !

You're looking for a way to confirm before purchasing, right? 

No chance, to be honest. There is not a third-party confirming the validity of these claims on an international level. You can check for yourself post-purchase.

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

You're looking for a way to confirm before purchasing, right? 

That's right.

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

There is not a third-party confirming the validity of these claims on an international level.

Are you saying that there are on national levels ?

20 minutes ago, KaKi87 said:

That's right.

Are you saying that there are on national levels ?

There might be, I don't know of any that exist at all but I am positive there are none on the international level so there will not be anything regarding devices going from china > USA, which is the majority of stuff on amazon

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

There isn't any certification system that would need to be passed. Just like with PSUs 80+ rating. It means nothing more than few characters on package. 

I can say that in Finland, national check for product safety does just that, checks that standards for chemicals used, electronic safety etc. are met. The luxury ratings aren't on the list. So only way to know whether something is or isn't at the advertised levels is to read some reviews. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

There isn't any certification system that would need to be passed.

Oh ? Then, why does OnePlus says they don't want to pay the cost of the certification like their competitors do ?

27 minutes ago, KaKi87 said:

Oh ? Then, why does OnePlus says they don't want to pay the cost of the certification like their competitors do ?

Maybe they don't want to purchase the notice/manual, detailing the standard and allowing them to say that it is compliant against the standard. I think the only real protection almost every country does have against such claims is that you can sue the manufacturer or the "rebrander"/ the guy selling the product by putting their brand on top, for deceptive marketing. But yeah if it's a Chinese company or reseller you're probably screwed in those cases. But at the end of the day I'm not a lawyer nor North American so I can't say much more on the matter

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I can say that in Finland, national check for product safety does just that, checks that standards for chemicals used, electronic safety etc. are met.

Just add in that and those are only randomly tested unless there's a lot of consumer complaints, serious allegations or some extra check-up event week/month.

It's far from systematic and only concerns products imported to Finland for resale (as in the Finnish Customs won't stop your Aliexpress package only to send it to TUKES for checking that your ordered product passes the tests and has the right markings). Also it seems to only concern products strictly sold in Finland, so shit dropship stores even with some warehouse in Finland (e(i-saatana)-Ville) are kind of safe from getting raided by TUKES and having their couple-€ China crap tested, marked as dangerous and pulled from Finnish markets. So, there's stores like FlyingTiger and partially Rusta and Biltema (sometimes good, often bad, only good thing that has lasted longer than half of the intended use I have ever bought from Biltema has been clone-Dremel that smells like burning crap) which sell pretty bad China shit.

1 hour ago, KaKi87 said:

Pretty much as @MyNameIsNobody said. Its standards/rating, but there's no validation by anyone whether its just text or actually working within standard. Just like HDMI, USB and DisplayPort. OnePlus might do independent testing as special addition, which would give them higher quality standard and therefore competitive advantage against someone who doesn't do it. But there's no universal labs who would test things. So reviews are best source of information.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/24/2023 at 8:13 AM, KaKi87 said:

Hello,

How to check that the ingress protection (IPxx) code that a manufacturer advertises for a product is genuine ?

I suppose the concerned authorithies would intervene if some big tech were to lie about their IP certifications, but I'm more worried about unknown manufacturers on Amazon, for example.

On some products, people comment :

But personally I don't want to hope, I want to make sure.

I googled that question but didn't find any answer, nor anyone else asking, for that matter. 🤔

Thanks !

If you want you can look at miltary certifications (MIL-STD) such as  MIL-STD-810. Military organizations do their own testing before any purchase orders.

Look here for some list to check out

https://www.androidauthority.com/mil-std-810g-rating-1017646/

I have only been using Sony Xperia phones (Xperia Z, Z5, XZ premium and 1 III) over the last 10 years and they all hold true to their IP certification. I have cleaned them under the sink regularly and also have taken them with me into the ocean. Have yet to kill one. But honestly you will only find out if you actually test it yourself.

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

If you want you can look at miltary certifications (MIL-STD) such as  MIL-STD-810.

Which also tells you nothing because most phones have been given that rating by their manufacturer and never actually got tested because they theoretically meet that standard. Which is why they are usually labeled MIL-STD ready or compliant or something like that. At least the ones that I have seen. So in the end that rating is just like the IP rating something a manufacturer slaps on their phones to make it sound "better".

Just because it has MIL-STD on it doesn't mean it is especially tough. I don't know the specifics of that rating but I used devices without that rating (they only had IP68 ratings) in the military and they are all still functional. So my guess would be most devices with IP68 achieve that MIL-STD except for maybe one or two things that are not really that important. And for your every day usage IP68 should be more than enough imo.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon