Temps go high with air cooling

msacco

Hey, I'm using the Peerless Assassin 120 SE with my 5800x, been using it for a year now and lately I'm starting to notice some heating issues, when CPU is running at 100% temps reach a maximum of 90.5C(not staying there, that's just the peaks).

While some comments I've seen online indicates that it's not a big deal, first of all I'd prefer not reaching these temps, and second my cooler used to work much better.

When I first installed it the CPU was running on around 40C on idle and around 75-80C when CPU is running on 100%. Now it's running at around 50C on idle and 85-90C at 100%.

According to benchmarks, it seems like that cooler should be able to handle the 5800x decently.

I wonder what I should try, is it just reapplying thermal paste? Should I replace the fans to better fans maybe? I don't really care about noise, maybe I can slightly boost the fans RPM somehow to make it work slightly better.

I'm not familiar with air cooling degradation since there shouldn't really be any, any suggestions?

Thanks.

@msacco You are measuring with the same room temperature?  Checked for any dust buildup?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

@msacco You are measuring with the same room temperature?  Checked for any dust buildup?

I bought the cooler exactly a year ago, so temps should be around the same, my AC is always on too, temps are probably not exactly the same but 10C difference is surely not the case. I did try to check for dust, cleaned a bit but there wasn't much to begin with.

1 minute ago, msacco said:

I bought the cooler exactly a year ago, so temps should be around the same, my AC is always on too, temps are probably not exactly the same but 10C difference is surely not the case. I did try to check for dust, cleaned a bit but there wasn't much to begin with.

Then I think you are right, next step would be to re-paste and see if it makes a difference.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Then I think you are right, next step would be to re-paste and see if it makes a difference.

I expected the thermal paste to last longer tho. I used the thermal paste that I received with the cooler, should I maybe try some higher quality? I don't want re-paste every year. I use the X method btw, I found it to be pretty decent.

Thanks.

The TIM that came with your cooler is actually pretty awesome. It was the way you spread it that is the problem. I have that cooler, and can say for a fact that my X3D never comes close to your temps.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

The TIM that came with your cooler is actually pretty awesome. It was the way you spread it that is the problem. I have that cooler, and can say for a fact that my X3D never comes close to your temps.

The one thing I'm certain about is that the spread with the X method consistently works fantastic for years now, so it's surely not that. 

22 minutes ago, msacco said:

The one thing I'm certain about is that the spread with the X method consistently works fantastic for years now, so it's surely not that. 

Indeed..

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Indeed..

Gotta love arrogant people.

1 hour ago, msacco said:

Gotta love arrogant people.

Everyone has their preferred method for pasting. On AM4 I am a spreader. I find it works best for me.

I am arrogant for reasons you do not need to know for now. Though I try to be humble about it.

Edit:

Just the fact you said you get a good spread with the X tells me you are using too much.

a few years back i had a similar case, for me replacing the fans with higher quality fans(noctua) solved it but i cant tell if its the same issue or not

4 hours ago, hyssinir said:

a few years back i had a similar case

OP didnt mention their case though? Also, fan performance have normalized by a lot, the custom C12 on Peerless Assassin is a neck better than Arctic P12 and Noctua F line.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 hours ago, SorryBella said:

OP didnt mention their case though? Also, fan performance have normalized by a lot, the custom C12 on Peerless Assassin is a neck better than Arctic P12 and Noctua F line.

?????