SteamDeck box (holoiso) issues

hey guys im back again! i recently fixed most issues with my holoiso project. but not all of them. it looks like some repos/ mirrors are messed up and i cant even get pacman to work. this is was as far as i got. please if you have any advice to give i would most greatful. also i am quite illiterate when it comes to linux and the Konsole, you may need to spell things out for me. thanks!!!

image.png.9571ab7f5826e4490e88aeb0534e44c3.png

6 minutes ago, jhogan93 said:

please if you have any advice to give i would most greatful

try again latest instruction in few hours.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

22 minutes ago, mMontana said:

try again latest instruction in few hours.

like an update?

Package update relies on external sources of data, which for various reasons might be unreachable.

I had to wait 3 days for fully update a stale Suse Tumbleweed setup (more than 8 months unused) because not all packages were available.

Try again in a hour or two might give enough time to let the external sources be available again. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 8/20/2023 at 1:59 AM, mMontana said:

Package update relies on external sources of data, which for various reasons might be unreachable.

I had to wait 3 days for fully update a stale Suse Tumbleweed setup (more than 8 months unused) because not all packages were available.

Try again in a hour or two might give enough time to let the external sources be available again. 

okay update, i waited a full 48hrs and same issue is happening. help?

HoloISO is generally the wrong project to use if you want Pacman. Sure it may be possible, but why start with something that is designed and configured so differently from what you want? SteamOS by design has a read-only file system and only Flatpaks are supported.

Nobara is probably a better solution for a general purpose distro that is still gaming focused.

13 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

HoloISO is generally the wrong project to use if you want Pacman. Sure it may be possible, but why start with something that is designed and configured so differently from what you want? SteamOS by design has a read-only file system and only Flatpaks are supported.

Nobara is probably a better solution for a general purpose distro that is still gaming focused.

well, i love the user experiance on the steamdeck. also im trying to ultimately make a video about Holoiso (i know its been done a thousand times) and i cant walk away from it.

i found this video, and the creator talks about alot of the same issues and fixes them! (8 minute mark in the video) but never explains what he did in detail or how to do it i would like to try to make a more comprehensive guide. 

its not about whats better, its more about trying to make it better. thanks for the response!

update! looks like holoiso 5.0 dropped and its "suppose to" fix most if not all of my issues. i will install that and get back to you!

9 hours ago, jhogan93 said:

well, i love the user experiance on the steamdeck. also im trying to ultimately make a video about Holoiso (i know its been done a thousand times) and i cant walk away from it.

i found this video, and the creator talks about alot of the same issues and fixes them! (8 minute mark in the video) but never explains what he did in detail or how to do it i would like to try to make a more comprehensive guide. 

its not about whats better, its more about trying to make it better. thanks for the response!

The reason I suggest Nobara is because it has a Steam Deck edition, to replicate that user experience but on a more traditional OS without as many of the limitations.

6 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

The reason I suggest Nobara is because it has a Steam Deck edition, to replicate that user experience but on a more traditional OS without as many of the limitations.

That's really cool I'll have to check it out. Funny enough holoISO 5.0 fixes most of my issues, but I still need to do a real deep dive into it. Pacman seems to be fully functional and all repositories are setup correctly. Now to get my GPU drivers up to date and get those fans to cool of the GPU lol.