Will formatting an HDD fix a bad drive controller?

Poraf
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

formatting will not fix a controller.

besides that - fixing an iffy HDD controller is generally not worth it, unless it is some exceptionally pricy hard drive.

I have an HDD that I no longer use since it started malfunctioning, I was advised that it may have been a bad logic board controller. Since then I was able to transfer most of my important files from the drive and no longer use it.

However, I'm in need of another drive right now, if I can manage to format the HDD will this fix a bad controller?

Do you think emptying a water bucket with a hole and filling it up fixes the hole then yes. And you are ok with loosing Water (data) Yes

15 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Do you think emptying a water bucket with a hole and filling it up fixes the hole then yes. And you are ok with loosing Water (data) Yes

Kind of a weird analogy, but understandable.

Is it still worth it to try and have the drive repaired or is it essentially a "dead" drive?

48 minutes ago, Poraf said:

However, I'm in need of another drive right now, if I can manage to format the HDD will this fix a bad controller?

Short version: yes.

If the controller is bad, what you write in your drive might be lost 1 second after writing.

If the hard drive is bad, what you write in your drive might be lost 1 second after writing.

Assuming there's an effective defect/fault into that drive. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

formatting will not fix a controller.

besides that - fixing an iffy HDD controller is generally not worth it, unless it is some exceptionally pricy hard drive.