Multiple os at same time ( Virtual Machine )?

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Install proxmox and have fun, that is a nice system and still extremely capable.

Remote Host multiple OS on the same system 

I have an old Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX with 128GB Ram, this was an old decommissioned server I'm repurposing it.
The thing is i want to host (local network only) a multiple vm or OS ( like Linux, windows (multiple versions) on this system
Which or what method i should take like software or a specific OS?

Thanks in Advance 

Install proxmox and have fun, that is a nice system and still extremely capable.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

Thoughts on Proxmox vs VMWare ESXI?

I'm not super familiar with hypervisors but I see those 2 names thrown around the most.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hypervisors are overrated. Just literally run both OSes at the same time.

Jokes aside. EXSi if you want to run the hypervisor from a flash drive/SD Card/etc. Proxmox if you can have a dedicated SSD/HDD for the hypervisor. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thoughts on Proxmox vs VMWare ESXI?

I'm not super familiar with hypervisors but I see those 2 names thrown around the most.

ESXI can be easier to setup for more advanced stuff (VGPU setup for example) but I cant afford it so I havent messed around it with it much lol. I like Proxmox because its just debian with QEMU and web gui on top, both of which I got familiar over the years.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

20 minutes ago, Levent said:

does this also support multiple GPUs (not the same one)
on that note can I give one GPU for multiple VM's?

Just now, Francy Alinston said:

does this also support multiple GPUs (not the same one)
on that note can I give one GPU for multiple VM's?

Yes it support both but VGPU setup is kind of hard to get it working (and as far as I know not free). I personally gave up setting it up multiple times. I just passthrough a graphics card to a single virtual machine.

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yes it support both but VGPU setup is kind of hard to get it working (and as far as I know not free). I personally gave up setting it up multiple times. I just passthrough a graphics card to a single virtual machine.

ok what about GPU and an old serial connector adapter card, PCI nvme cluster card (I think that's what it's called )

4 minutes ago, Francy Alinston said:

ok what about GPU and an old serial connector adapter card, PCI nvme cluster card (I think that's what it's called )

PCIe passthough should work with every card, but there can be issue.

I'd probalby put the nvme drives in raid with ZFS on the host, then make virtual disks for the host.

If you got the hardware, why not try it?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

PCIe passthough should work with every card, but there can be issue.

I'd probalby put the nvme drives in raid with ZFS on the host, then make virtual disks for the host.

If you got the hardware, why not try it?

oh no I already have a file-share server running on an old intel xeon. nvme drives just for fast storage access (I have a 10-gig network switch connected to multiple computers with 2.5 or 10 gig receiver card's )