Upgrading an OMEN Obelisk

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
1 hour ago, RacketyLawyer said:

It appears that the connectors are standard. So i just need to buy a 3060 ti and a 650 W PSU?

Honestly, a better PSU would do, there is a nice thread here on which PSUs are good and which are not good, I'd bounce around there for a bit and read, and if it was my system, I'd go for something in the 700 watt range, but I"m a firm believer in overkill (my main system runs a 1300watt PSU)

Budget (including currency): Most bang for buck (max $1000)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Future games and VR

Other details: I currently have a 1660 ti,  i7-9700, my motherboard is an HP 84FD (00 board version?? if this means anything), and I have 16GB  of RAM (fury hyperx ddr4, 1 of 2 slots used). My computer works fine on most games at high setting, recently with Baldur's gate 3 I've ran into some framerate issues and decided it was time to upgrade my PC for future releases coming out. I have also had framerate issues in VR. I want whatever could give the most bang for my buck, be it selling my PC and building a whole new one or upgrading certain parts.

Personal opinion: A GPU upgrade (while they are still reasonably priced) would be an easy upgrade, to something like a 3060 ti or so, but I"m not sure what the PSU is in the pre-built.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Personal opinion: A GPU upgrade (while they are still reasonably priced) would be an easy upgrade, to something like a 3060 ti or so, but I"m not sure what the PSU is in the pre-built.

It's a 500W PSU

It's a 500W PSU

That won't support a better video card, do you know if the PSU is standard, or one of HP's infamous proprietary designs?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I didn't even know that HP had an infamous power supply design, it is made by HP so I am going to assume that it is one of their proprietary designs

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

That won't support a better video card, do you know if the PSU is standard, or one of HP's infamous proprietary designs?

I didn't even know that HP had an infamous power supply design, it is made by HP so I am going to assume that it is one of their proprietary designs

6 hours ago, RacketyLawyer said:

Only one way to find out, and that's by looking at it and taking measurements to compare against a standard ATX PSU

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Only one way to find out, and that's by looking at it and taking measurements to compare against a standard ATX PSU

According to LinkedIns definition of standard ATX PSU measurements mine fits it exactly. 

5 minutes ago, RacketyLawyer said:

According to LinkedIns definition of standard ATX PSU measurements mine fits it exactly. 

Ok, if the connectors on the PSU to mobo are standard (24pin for the main, and 4 for CPU) then swapping of the PSU should be an easy task. Then you could add a GPU to the system and a fresh PSU and you'd be good to go.

This is assuming you are happy overall with the PC.

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, if the connectors on the PSU to mobo are standard (24pin for the main, and 4 for CPU) then swapping of the PSU should be an easy task. Then you could add a GPU to the system and a fresh PSU and you'd be good to go.

This is assuming you are happy overall with the PC.

It appears that the connectors are standard. So i just need to buy a 3060 ti and a 650 W PSU?

Honestly, a better PSU would do, there is a nice thread here on which PSUs are good and which are not good, I'd bounce around there for a bit and read, and if it was my system, I'd go for something in the 700 watt range, but I"m a firm believer in overkill (my main system runs a 1300watt PSU)

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thank you