Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 2TB not on ASRock X670E PG Lightning QVL storage list

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
9 hours ago, Travercraig said:

Does this mean the 2TB version of the drive won't work at all since it's not on the QVL list or does it just mean it hasn't been tested officially by the motherboard OEM?

Latter. But as @filpo said, Pcie is a backwards and forwards compatible protocol, you can run all M.2 Nvme drives off it. Although only one of the slot supports m.2 SATA drives, but these are getting rarer as nvme drives are getting cheaper to build.

Hi there, I would like to buy the Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 2TB and put on the fastest (blazing) m.2 slot of a ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard. However on the motherboards QVL list for storage it doesn't list the 2TB version of the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0, only the 1TB version.

Does this mean the 2TB version of the drive won't work at all since it's not on the QVL list or does it just mean it hasn't been tested officially by the motherboard OEM? If the latter is true then does anyone have any experience with pairing together a  Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 2TB and a ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard or similar ASRock board in the fastest blazing m.2 slot?

I'm also welcome for suggestions for alternative 2TB PCIe 4.0 drives if the Samsung 2TB won't work.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Travercraig said:

Hi there, I would like to buy the Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 2TB and put on the fastest (blazing) m.2 slot of a ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard. However on the motherboards QVL list for storage it doesn't list the 2TB version of the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0, only the 1TB version.

Does this mean the 2TB version of the drive won't work at all since it's not on the QVL list or does it just mean it hasn't been tested officially by the motherboard OEM? If the latter is true then does anyone have any experience with pairing together a  Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 2TB and a ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard or similar ASRock board in the fastest blazing m.2 slot?

I'm also welcome for suggestions for alternative 2TB PCIe 4.0 drives if the Samsung 2TB won't work.

Thanks.

It will work it just won't do pcie 5.0 since it's not a 5.0 ssd

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

9 hours ago, Travercraig said:

Does this mean the 2TB version of the drive won't work at all since it's not on the QVL list or does it just mean it hasn't been tested officially by the motherboard OEM?

Latter. But as @filpo said, Pcie is a backwards and forwards compatible protocol, you can run all M.2 Nvme drives off it. Although only one of the slot supports m.2 SATA drives, but these are getting rarer as nvme drives are getting cheaper to build.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thank you both for the confirmation. I had a feeling it would be fine but was just a little cautious as it wasn't on the QVL list.