external gpu problems

Go to solution Solved by Alec19,

Just in case anyone sees this without a response and is curious. I bought a 1ft thunderbolt 4 cable and it works perfectly fine now.

I just ran into a strange problem and I am looking for some advice. I recently purchased a Razer Core X egpu enclosure to use with my laptop. I have the i9 version of the Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Ultra which does have a laptop 4070 in it which is really nice but it only has 8gb of vram. I have a 3090 that was in my prior computer so I got the egpu enclosure so that I could take advantage of the extra vram for simulations. I bought the enclosure off of ebay and it appears to be in good condition and it was packed very well. It arrived yesturday so I put my graphics card in it, fired it up, plugged my laptop in, and then recieved bad news. When the egpu is connected, the nvidia driver (which is up to date) seems to crash. My whole system starts to lag, I can't open windows settings, I can't open the nvidia control panel, and my laptop fan goes to maximum. I checked device manager and the intel graphics, 4070, and 3090 are all detected. The properties on the 3090 says it works fine but it definitely doesn't and I don't have any display output though it. The 4070 says that windows can't access the driver. Win+ctrl+shift+b does flash the screen but has no effect. I assume that is because the intel graphics are running the display so it doesn't actually restart the nvidia driver. I tried rebooting and restarting the nvidia driver through task manager but neither did anything. When I unplug the egpu and even if I reboot the 4070 has the same error. The only way I have fixed it is by uninstalling the nvidia driver. Sometimes when I reboot after the uninstall, the driver is magically back and working but other times I have to reinstall the driver manually and that fixes it. Any ideas? I am really lost here and any input would be really helpful. Also, I am using a 3ft usb-c 240watt 40gbit cable. Strangely, when I plug it into my laptop, I also get a windows notification saying I would get faster charging if I plug into a faster charger. I thought this enclosure was supposed to put out 100 watts which is what my laptop takes so I am confused why it isn't getting that. Do I have a bad cable? I don't have any faster cables and this one was fine with my 10gbit ssd but I guess 40gbit is a lot more than that. Is that the potential source of error is there something else I should check?

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone sees this without a response and is curious. I bought a 1ft thunderbolt 4 cable and it works perfectly fine now.