Two routers different rooms - Total beginner - Looking for easy fix - UK

Hi guys,

In my house I have just on router from SKY Broadband. We have it in the Living room downstairs. I have my PC in my room directly upstairs to the living room.

I wanted to know If I can just buy an another router have it in my room.

The router in the living room is connected to the phone line socket.

I also have a phone line socket in my room. Can I just buy a new router and just connect it in my room and get WIRED ethernet cable in my PC?

8 minutes ago, racerz1 said:

I wanted to know If I can just buy an another router have it in my room.

What you want is a wireless access point or WiFI repeater, not another router. A second router would make a whole second network, which can make things complicated. 

9 minutes ago, racerz1 said:

The router in the living room is connected to the phone line socket.

I also have a phone line socket in my room. Can I just buy a new router and just connect it in my room and get WIRED ethernet cable in my PC?

Not unless you pay for another DSL service.

Check the 'phone' plate to see if it's really phone cable, or if they ran Cat5e and used one pair from it to make a phone line. If they did and you can find the other end, you can re-terminate that run with a regular RJ45/8P8C connector and use it for Ethernet. Then you can either plug your PC or an access point into it.

Wired networking is always preferable over WiFi for devices that don't move. See if you can run a network cable one way or another.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

55 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What you want is a wireless access point or WiFI repeater, not another router. A second router would make a whole second network, which can make things complicated. 

Not unless you pay for another DSL service.

Check the 'phone' plate to see if it's really phone cable, or if they ran Cat5e and used one pair from it to make a phone line. If they did and you can find the other end, you can re-terminate that run with a regular RJ45/8P8C connector and use it for Ethernet. Then you can either plug your PC or an access point into it.

Wired networking is always preferable over WiFi for devices that don't move. See if you can run a network cable one way or another.

The phone plate is for a phone. The bellow are the phone plates. And the links are the cable. My house is an OLD house. Its a phone plate. There are 4 phone plates in my house. 2 in the living room, 1 in the master bedroom and 1 in my closet bedroom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Telehone-Available-GDR-Networking-White/dp/B07NJD83TY/ref=sr_1_5?c=ts&keywords=Phone%2BCables&qid=1691661203&s=telephone&sr=1-5&ts_id=10395431&th=1

IMG20230810104912.jpg

IMG20230810104921.jpg

5 minutes ago, racerz1 said:

The phone plate is for a phone. The bellow are the phone plates. And the links are the cable. My house is an OLD house. Its a phone plate. There are 4 phone plates in my house. 2 in the living room, 1 in the master bedroom and 1 in my closet bedroom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Telehone-Available-GDR-Networking-White/dp/B07NJD83TY/ref=sr_1_5?c=ts&keywords=Phone%2BCables&qid=1691661203&s=telephone&sr=1-5&ts_id=10395431&th=1

That won't carry Ethernet. You'll have to run a new wire.

WiFi repeaters work, but I'd consider those a last resort because of the impact they can have on network performance.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

32 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That won't carry Ethernet. You'll have to run a new wire.

WiFi repeaters work, but I'd consider those a last resort because of the impact they can have on network performance.

Damn, Thanks man.