Pc has died, will only start if I unplug my gpu, help!!

Soaray

Hi, my pc suddenly died on me the other day when I was playing a game

if I unplug my gpu cord connecting it to the power supply it boots but won’t boot if it’s plugged in

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Sounds like a psu issue. Are you running a low watt psu or maybe it's old and going bad?

I’m running a be quiet pure power 11 gold 600w

gpu is a gigabyte GeForce rtx 2060 6gb

just over 3 years old for both

5 minutes ago, Soaray said:

I’m running a be quiet pure power 11 gold 600w

gpu is a gigabyte GeForce rtx 2060 6gb

just over 3 years old for both

Well the GPU or PSU could be at fault here, I mean we can't really eliminate the motherboard even without another GPU to test.

When you say "wont boot", does it turn on at all?  If it doesn't then using a cheap multimeter to check if the voltage pins on the GPUs PCIe connector are shorting to ground might identify if that is the problem.

If it turns on but just doesn't POST, that's more tricky as you'd likely need to replace one or both the PSU and/or GPU to figure out which is causing the problem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well the GPU or PSU could be at fault here, I mean we can't really eliminate the motherboard even without another GPU to test.

When you say "wont boot", does it turn on at all?  If it doesn't then using a cheap multimeter to check if the voltage pins on the GPUs PCIe connector are shorting to ground might identify if that is the problem.

If it turns on but just doesn't POST, that's more tricky as you'd likely need to replace one or both the PSU and/or GPU to figure out which is causing the problem.

So, it will only boot if i either unplug the gpu completely, or unplug the pcie cables from the gpu

As soon as I plug the cables back into the gpu it won’t turn on again

When the gpu is unplugged, it seems everything turns on as normal, but I can’t see any video as my mobo doesn’t have onboard graphics 

15 minutes ago, Soaray said:

So, it will only boot if i either unplug the gpu completely, or unplug the pcie cables from the gpu

As soon as I plug the cables back into the gpu it won’t turn on again

When the gpu is unplugged, it seems everything turns on as normal, but I can’t see any video as my mobo doesn’t have onboard graphics 

Considering the motherboard is POSTing, This is most likely a GPU hardware failure since generally the CPU and PCIE power are on the same 12V rail. Best way to test this for sure is trying a cheap GPU.

The geek himself.

14 minutes ago, NTDaws said:

Considering the motherboard is POSTing, This is most likely a GPU hardware failure since generally the CPU and PCIE power are on the same 12V rail. Best way to test this for sure is trying a cheap GPU.

Thanks, seems im going to have to try and find a cheap gpu, and if that fails power supply.

4 hours ago, Soaray said:

Thanks, seems im going to have to try and find a cheap gpu, and if that fails power supply.

If you haven't I would also try different pcie cords incase it's one bad cable