Noctua offset bar compatibility question

Go to solution Solved by brob,
1 hour ago, Shyguy873 said:

Budget (including currency): $5000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming and blender

Other details

does anybody know if the noctua NM-AMB15 cooling offset mounting bar works with the ryzen 9 7950x with the noctua HN-D15 cpu cooler on it and the CPU not being de-lidded (i only know about it because of linus's video called "Noctua's New Cooler Voids Your Warranty...." and he talked a bit about de-lidded CPU's)?

No. See https://faqs.noctua.at/support/solutions/articles/101000484444. The NH-D15 requires NM-AMB12.

Just now, Agall said:

I haven't look for RAM, I'd only be checking Newegg since other mainstream website I don't trust for parts nor recommend because of it.

There's a limitation to thermodynamics when factoring in that ambient temperature is your ultimate heatsink in the transfer of the heat out of your system. I have a thread where I go relatively deep into thermodynamics. Requires some understanding of algebra and qualitative analysis to at least understand the mathematics involved, so nothing too crazy.

i was wanting there ram cooler since because it looks like it was cheapy made unlike other ones i can take the fans that it came with out and put in better fans instead so i wouldnt have to 3d print and model my own memory cooling fan. you know?

3 minutes ago, Shyguy873 said:

i was wanting there ram cooler since because it looks like it was cheapy made unlike other ones i can take the fans that it came with out and put in better fans instead so i wouldnt have to 3d print and model my own memory cooling fan. you know?

also do you think i should use thermal paste or liquid metal for the build?

9 minutes ago, Agall said:

I haven't look for RAM, I'd only be checking Newegg since other mainstream website I don't trust for parts nor recommend because of it.

There's a limitation to thermodynamics when factoring in that ambient temperature is your ultimate heatsink in the transfer of the heat out of your system. I have a thread where I go relatively deep into thermodynamics. Requires some understanding of algebra and qualitative analysis to at least understand the mathematics involved, so nothing too crazy.

i was wanting there ram cooler since because it looks like it was cheapy made unlike other ones i can take the fans that it came with out and put in better fans instead so i wouldnt have to 3d print and model my own memory cooling fan. you know? also do you think i should use thermal paste or liquid metal for the build?

4 minutes ago, Shyguy873 said:

I personally fall under the radical side of function > form, and heatsinks on RAM should be as minimal as possible to negate compatibility issues. Technically even DDR5 doesn't require heatsinks, but it does help a bit.

1 minute ago, Shyguy873 said:

also do you think i should use thermal paste or liquid metal for the build?

I would stick to thermal paste, liquid metal chemically reacts with copper and aluminum and nuanced application. Its very useful when doing direct die, assuming your heatsink is nickel plated. NH-D15 is nickel plated, but I'd recommend using the included thermal paste Noctua provides since its optimized for their cooler. All of which are min-maxing, including the offset bracket discussed in this thread. In my opinion, the 7mm offset is the most reasonable min-max out of the lot. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

I personally fall under the radical side of function > form, and heatsinks on RAM should be as minimal as possible to negate compatibility issues. Technically even DDR5 doesn't require heatsinks, but it does help a bit.

I would stick to thermal paste, liquid metal chemically reacts with copper and aluminum and nuanced application. Its very useful when doing direct die, assuming your heatsink is nickel plated. NH-D15 is nickel plated, but I'd recommend using the included thermal paste Noctua provides since its optimized for their cooler. All of which are min-maxing, including the offset bracket discussed in this thread. In my opinion, the 7mm offset is the most reasonable min-max out of the lot. 

what does min-max mean again i forgot?  also if you said you prefer function over form would that mean you prefer performance over visuals but then you said they should be a minimal as possible which counter states that. also if using liquid metal on copper doesnt it only stain it which you can clean up (i know for a fact that it doesnt corrode the copper or perminately damages it from a how-fixit video and no i dont mean i-fixit the company.) and do noctua's fans come with thermal paste? and what do you mean by the 7mm offset being the biggest min-max out of the lot?

8 minutes ago, Agall said:

also sorry for commenting so many time T.T

just assume that ill respond like 1-5 minutes after you do

22 minutes ago, Agall said:

im just a curious guy who doesnt want to waste money while still having a good pc, y'know?

17 minutes ago, Agall said:

my god the ltt gun club thing you were chatting in has 4300 messages

25 minutes ago, Agall said:

also do you know if you can delete messages?

8 minutes ago, Shyguy873 said:

my god the ltt gun club thing you were chatting in has 4300 messages

Its quite the thread, yes. I personally don't think the topic is far off, since both are expressions of individual capabilities, whether its processing power or fire power on top of how to properly and responsibly use it, but that's off topic of this thread.

Mind you this is a public thread, so anyone can see this conversation.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

Its quite the thread, yes. I personally don't think the topic is far off, since both are expressions of individual capabilities, whether its processing power or fire power on top of how to properly and responsibly use it, but that's off topic of this thread.

oh, also i asked a question earlier

13 minutes ago, Agall said:

Mind you this is a public thread, so anyone can see this conversation.

what does min-max mean again i forgot?  also if you said you prefer function over form would that mean you prefer performance over visuals but then you said they should be a minimal as possible which counter states that. also if using liquid metal on copper doesnt it only stain it which you can clean up (i know for a fact that it doesnt corrode the copper or perminately damages it from a how-fixit video and no i dont mean i-fixit the company.) and do noctua's fans come with thermal paste? and what do you mean by the 7mm offset being the biggest min-max out of the lot?

15 hours ago, Shyguy873 said:

what does min-max mean again i forgot?  also if you said you prefer function over form would that mean you prefer performance over visuals but then you said they should be a minimal as possible which counter states that. also if using liquid metal on copper doesnt it only stain it which you can clean up (i know for a fact that it doesnt corrode the copper or perminately damages it from a how-fixit video and no i dont mean i-fixit the company.) and do noctua's fans come with thermal paste? and what do you mean by the 7mm offset being the biggest min-max out of the lot?

How Liquid Metal Affects Copper, Nickel, and Aluminum (Corrosion Test) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, Agall said:

so do they come with thermal paste? and does it come with a tube of thermal paste or is it like stock coolers were the thermal paste is pre-applied? and if it is pre-applied is it still better to replace it with a new thing of it? 

Just now, Shyguy873 said:

so do they come with thermal paste? and does it come with a tube of thermal paste or is it like stock coolers were the thermal paste is pre-applied? and if it is pre-applied is it still better to replace it with a new thing of it? 

Yes, I don't remember a single cooler I've purchased that didn't come with either pre-applied thermal paste or its own tube with ~1.5x the amount necessary to apply. Pre-applied is usually a budget thing, where Noctua coolers come with a small tube.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

Yes, I don't remember a single cooler I've purchased that didn't come with either pre-applied thermal paste or its own tube with ~1.5x the amount necessary to apply. Pre-applied is usually a budget thing, where Noctua coolers come with a small tube.

i mean it is better to have too much then not enought. not enough actually makes the cooling not as affective while the only downside of having to much is having to clean it up if it gets on the motherboard. also in this linus video you can see that he ahs a hn-d15 but only had one fan in it, if im using all the fans the hn-d15 came with would it be better at cooling? and also if i do what direction should the 2 fans be facing? i have the same case as what he is using in that video btw.

23 minutes ago, Agall said:

???

20 minutes ago, Shyguy873 said:

i mean it is better to have too much then not enought. not enough actually makes the cooling not as affective while the only downside of having to much is having to clean it up if it gets on the motherboard. also in this linus video you can see that he ahs a hn-d15 but only had one fan in it, if im using all the fans the hn-d15 came with would it be better at cooling? and also if i do what direction should the 2 fans be facing? i have the same case as what he is using in that video btw.

I would use both included fans facing towards the rear of the case, one in the front and one between the towers. The photo of my system with the abnormal configuration is specifically because I have a mesh side panel. Its unique because of the circumstances of the airflow through that specific configuration with the RTX 4090 Gaming OC, so I wouldn't use my configuration as a baseline suggestion. In my configuration, I also don't use a rear fan simply because the back mesh of the FD North is so open, but either way you'll have to play around with it since there's quite a lot of variables.

Even individual fan curves can complicate things, since it can change the air currents within the machine drastically, so finding the balance between them is far more complex than just using an AIO if you're truly maximizing the configuration. If you don't care for acoustics, then it's a lot simpler since as long as you're not gimping the speed, it'll be fine.

There's a lot of pre-requisite knowledge on thermodynamics and fluid dynamics to know before you get to that level without a gross amount of trial and error, something that I don't have the time or patience to explain in detail here.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 minutes ago, Shyguy873 said:

???

I'll be honest, I'm losing my patience here. So, if the topic's original question is answered, then I'd recommend marking a solution and creating another topic that will answer further unrelated questions. We've bridged enough away from the original question to justify it at this point. This will also help others find that information since these forums are sometimes top searches for people using Google to solve similar issues or asking similar questions.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

I would use both included fans facing towards the rear of the case, one in the front and one between the towers. The photo of my system with the abnormal configuration is specifically because I have a mesh side panel. Its unique because of the circumstances of the airflow through that specific configuration with the RTX 4090 Gaming OC, so I wouldn't use my configuration as a baseline suggestion. In my configuration, I also don't use a rear fan simply because the back mesh of the FD North is so open, but either way you'll have to play around with it since there's quite a lot of variables.

Even individual fan curves can complicate things, since it can change the air currents within the machine drastically, so finding the balance between them is far more complex than just using an AIO if you're truly maximizing the configuration. If you don't care for acoustics, then it's a lot simpler since as long as you're not gimping the speed, it'll be fine.

There's a lot of pre-requisite knowledge on thermodynamics and fluid dynamics to know before you get to that level without a gross amount of trial and error, something that I don't have the time or patience to explain in detail here.

I’m gonna sound like an idiot but, what is the rear again, I forgot T.T? Also doesnt my case have a mesh were the 200mm fans go?

1 minute ago, Agall said:

I'll be honest, I'm losing my patience here. So, if the topic's original question is answered, then I'd recommend marking a solution and creating another topic that will answer further unrelated questions. We've bridged enough away from the original question to justify it at this point. This will also help others find that information since these forums are sometimes top searches for people using Google to solve similar issues or asking similar questions.

Oh ok. Sorry about that I didn’t mean to annoy you T.T