Planning on making a NAS / Jellyfin and Plex machine... have no idea where to start.

Npenplz

Budget (including currency): $350 - $400 (Before drives)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I wanted to have something with a lot of room to upgrade in terms of storage, especially down the line when hard drives get even cheaper. 8TB now, more in the future another 8 in the future when I need it, yknow. I do plan on accessing media from other networks, and I've heard that that is when you want to invest in hardware encoding. Just wanna make sure I'm not blowing my budget on something that isn't really needed haha 😛

Other details: So far I have this list together, the only part I have bought is the SSD for a boot drive. I've also seen adapters that take 3 5.25" bays and turn them into 5 HDD slots, which seems to be the limit supported by the motherboard and power supply after I use one for the boot drive.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($127.56 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: Crucial CT2K4G4DFS824A 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory  ($18.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($16.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($71.74 @ Adorama)
Total: $369.23

55 minutes ago, Npenplz said:

and I've heard that that is when you want to invest in hardware encoding.

to nerd, its transcoding not encoding.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($91.10 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Steel Legend Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($29.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($13.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX650M (2021) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $393.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-07 00:09 EDT-0400

better quality and more powerful QSV instead of AMD VCN. And actually being able to populate all the SATA drive without new case.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, MG2R said:

To really nerd: transcoding is encoding too. Decode and encode.

Fair enough.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.