Keychron K2 USB-C port doesn't connect unless angled in peculiar manner

First and foremost, the warranty of the keyboard has elapsed (purchased Apr 2021) and Keychron has a strained relationship with after-sales services[1][2][3][4] and reportedly any calls for help fall to deaf ears once the warranty has elapsed so I'm on my own for this one.

Apparently, it's "normal" for the USB-C port to feel shaky[5] (though there seems to be opposing claims as well[6]) and while I've felt the port is a bit flimsy at times, it's been mostly fine, until now. If attempting to connect it, the battery light does glow alongside the RGB but no keystrokes are registered, unless the port is wiggled around (and you can wiggle it around quite a bit) till you find a particular angle.

Of course, to get at that angle, I have to tilt the board 90 degrees and brute force the sweet spot but even then, I can awkwardly type a few characters before it is no longer "just right" and I lose the ability to type at all. I can still see the RGB but that's not the primary function of a keyboard.

I've tried about four different cables, cleaned the USB-C port, connected it without intermediate USB devices (hubs), tried different computers, nothing. This seems to be solidly a keyboard problem. Now, I don't want to throw away this keyboard, I bought it as a "lifetime" keyboard, buying the aluminum model (which thrust upon me RGB that I never wanted but eh, I get it, making multiple SKUs is not very cost effective) and the carrying case but replacing USB-C ports seems... non-trivial[7].

I use a Hackintosh and Bluetooth isn't playing nice so I can't use that.

Now what?

Sources:

Either the USB port itself or at least its solder joints are broken. Do you know somebody personally or a repair shop that can fix this for you? It is doable. I already replaced similar sockets, but it should be done by somebody with quite a lot of soldering experience and decent equipment. I would do it, but i am in Germany.

Thanks a lot for the offer but unfortunately, we're continents away. I also don't know anyone personally who does electronics repair.

On 8/6/2023 at 2:16 PM, Heats with Nvidia said:

it should be done by somebody with quite a lot of soldering experience and decent equipment

I guess this confirms what all the other posts have been saying, that it's not a beginner's soldering job.

How do I go about asking shops to repair this for me? I can't imagine I can just walk into a random repair shop and tell them "Hey, can you fix this USB-C port or replace it with a new one" (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely concerned that just showing up to their shop and cold-asking them to do something would be quite rude). I could just call shops one by one but that feels rude as well.

So I thought I should do it myself. If I had to do it myself, what would I need to know?

47 minutes ago, MSMSMSM said:

How do I go about asking shops to repair this for me? I can't imagine I can just walk into a random repair shop and tell them "Hey, can you fix this USB-C port or replace it with a new one" (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely concerned that just showing up to their shop and cold-asking them to do something would be quite rude). I could just call shops one by one but that feels rude as well.

I don't know about your local customs/culture, but that is basically what I would do. Take the keyboard with you, show them what the problem is and that you need a new USB C port and ask them whether they can fix it or know who can. As long as you stay friendly and polite I don't see why this should be an issue?

Worst case is they say they can't do it, best case they tell you to come back in a few hours/next day and you have it fixed.

I mean, how else would you get this information if not by asking them directly?

5 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

As long as you stay friendly and polite I don't see why this should be an issue?

You'd think. I remember needing a WiFi M.2 module and going from shop to shop to try and buy one and I remember being told to bugger off despite walking in the sun for ~20 minutes to reach them. Some are nicer than others but it takes a few people to make you not want to approach anyone.

1 minute ago, MSMSMSM said:

You'd think. I remember needing a WiFi M.2 module and going from shop to shop to try and buy one and I remember being told to bugger off despite walking in the sun for ~20 minutes to reach them. Some are nicer than others but it takes a few people to make you not want to approach anyone.

WTF? How are these shops selling stuff? I mean, maybe this is my western ignorance/naivete speaking, but why would you ever be rude to your customers. Costumers you want to sell stuff to and get money from.

Probably they saw a school kid and went "yeah, he's just here to troll, tell him to get off my lawn". Regardless, either I call them and ask over the phone or do it myself, the latter would probably kill my keeb for good and the former might annoy those already prone to being annoyed, guess I have my options cut out for me.