Old worn, Benq XL2720-B, Type: XL2720Z, flickering issue.

Bowzerbro

[VIDEO WARNING , FLICKERING / BLINKING / FLASHING LIGHT]

Hello, I've got a Benq XL2720-B 144hz monitor that was manufactured in April 2014, that started having a flickering issue quite a while back now. Recently I picked the monitor back out of storage to try and figure out if I would throw it out or attempt to fix it somehow.

The issue started out of the blue one day and I was not able to resolve it, I tried a different power cable, updated drivers, changed refresh rates, reset to factory settings both on the monitor and by unplugging and unplugging then holding down the power button for 10~20 seconds, then waiting around 20 more seconds after that.

I've tested it on another PC but I think something else was done wrong, as it didn't work at all (Connected through HDMI).

Any well versed tech person aware of what is the most common cause for this issue and how it could be fixed, if it is worth fixing it and what it would cost to attempt a repair at home?

The monitor is old and there's obv signs of wear on it, such as the dark spot at the bottom and brighter at the top for what ever reason.

More detailed info on refresh rate tests:

Tested 144,120,90 and 60~ Not exact refresh rates.

(Also tried different resolutions and it didn't help either)

3 hours ago, Bowzerbro said:

[VIDEO WARNING , FLICKERING / BLINKING / FLASHING LIGHT]

Hello, I've got a Benq XL2720-B 144hz monitor that was manufactured in April 2014, that started having a flickering issue quite a while back now. Recently I picked the monitor back out of storage to try and figure out if I would throw it out or attempt to fix it somehow.

The issue started out of the blue one day and I was not able to resolve it, I tried a different power cable, updated drivers, changed refresh rates, reset to factory settings both on the monitor and by unplugging and unplugging then holding down the power button for 10~20 seconds, then waiting around 20 more seconds after that.

I've tested it on another PC but I think something else was done wrong, as it didn't work at all (Connected through HDMI).

Any well versed tech person aware of what is the most common cause for this issue and how it could be fixed, if it is worth fixing it and what it would cost to attempt a repair at home?

The monitor is old and there's obv signs of wear on it, such as the dark spot at the bottom and brighter at the top for what ever reason.

More detailed info on refresh rate tests:

Tested 144,120,90 and 60~ Not exact refresh rates.

(Also tried different resolutions and it didn't help either)

Great initial troubleshooting!  You didn't mention it explicitly (but it is implied), but I'm assuming you've ruled out the cable itself & the input panel on the monitor? (i.e. Display POrt, DVI-D and both HDMI inputs all cause flickering?) 

Things to Try:  Try all the inputs & verify this issue persists across any input

image.thumb.png.fb2ff2eabc057ff9aae037c4f23312cc.png

What's Causing It: (assuing the issue exists across all inputs)

I won't say I'm a well-versed tech person, but I will say capacitors in the power supply backlight-driving circuit are a "common" thing that go bad on monitors & can cause flickering & eventually the backlight goes out (but the LCD screen works fine).

That being said, I wouldn't bet my life on it being a couple of cheap capacitors.  Especially since it's an high refresh rate, LED-backlit monitor.  It could be a PWM (pulse-width modulation) LED driving circuit or maybe even the entire I/O panel.  But if you're someone who takes stuff apart, soldiers & wants to spend a few dollars and gamble that it's just bad capacitors, it's a fairly simple repair.  These monitors definitely have some issues as someone else posted another (more text-book-sounding) electronic failure of some type.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

@problemsolver Thank you, I will try and find out which ones are bad and then find replacements. I know someone with soldering experience and will try and have them assist.

Just now, Bowzerbro said:

@problemsolver Thank you, I will try and find out which ones are bad and then find replacements. I know someone with soldering experience and will try and have them assist.

You're welcome! But just to be clear... there's no way for me to tell from the issues what the problem is... no guarantee it's cheap capacitors that went bad lol

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

Just now, problemsolver said:

You're welcome! But just to be clear... there's no way for me to tell from the issues what the problem is... no guarantee it's cheap capacitors that went bad lol

Yeah, I know. Hopes and dreams and all that. I'll still need to attempt some other things too, it will be some time till I can properly open it up and such.