New Soundbar recommendations

mgj

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my first soundbar.  My TV is currently old and has 2 HDMI inputs, aux port and optical.  Currently has Chromecast and Switch plugged into it. Would still need to have both plugged in someway or another with out the kids switching cables. If the soundbar has a chromecast built in, even better, but probably adds considerably to the price.

Would like to be able to control the soundbar volume when I adjust the TV volume on the TV remote and I don't necessary want to have the soundbar on for everything so TV speakers should still work with out the soundbar on.  (Does this make sense or would the TV speakers normally be disabled when the soundbar is connected).

I find the volume on my TV needs to be turned up more than it used to, likely just getting old. Just not certain if that is me or the TV speakers which is getting old.

I have a fairly low budget for this as I have other electronics I need to purchase in the next little bit too.

Anyway, any and all recommedations are welcome. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, mgj said:

Just not certain if that is me or the TV speakers which is getting old.

how old is the tv.... or you. lol

if it has an aux out it should just send whatever audio signal the tv would normally play out of the aux port to whatever you plug it into so that would be the easiest. most tv's disable the tv speakers when you have something plugged into the aux port , however the aux port should adjust with the tv remote so you just set the soundbar/amp to a single volume and raise/lower it with the tv remote.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

how old is the tv.... or you. lol

TV is likely 8-10 years old and let's just say my kids are much older than the TV, you can guess at my age from there.

TV also has an optical port, would that be better than the aux out?

1 minute ago, mgj said:

TV also has an optical port, would that be better than the aux out?

optical as a standard is technically better , but for your use case (a soundbar and an old tv) it wouldnt matter. you can just use the aux , it works fine and is there for pretty much this reason.

I was thinking I wanted HDMI eARC so it would come on when I turned the tv on. Does this make sense or is this something I don't need to sorry about.

2 hours ago, mgj said:

I was thinking I wanted HDMI eARC so it would come on when I turned the tv on. Does this make sense or is this something I don't need to sorry about.

Only if you want to buy a new TV with HDMI arc/earc.

3 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Only if you want to buy a new TV with HDMI arc/earc.

My tv does have HDMI arc/eARC. 

6 hours ago, mgj said:

My tv does have HDMI arc/eARC. 

Oh awesome, that would allow the tv to have volume control and pass along the best quality audio it could (although likely not atmos or dtsx, which is fine). If you can swing it, arc is the way to go. 

Not sure what your budget is but something like: Aiyima A07, $5-15 worth of wires/cables (you might already have them) and 2x used passive speakers. 

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkes15-brn/polk-audio-signature-elite-es15-pair-5.25-bookshelf-speakers-brown/1.html

Not sure if those are over your budget (if you're trying to avoid used). The ES15 have the benefit of being wall mountable with 1 screw and they're pretty solid overall

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800