Help choosing between MacBook's

So Im buying a new laptop for my Physics BSc and I'm choosing between two refurbished models

M1 14inch Macbook Pro base model (16GB and 512GB) 1539.00 Usd

or

M2 13inch Macbook Air base M2 chip model but (24GB and 512GB) 1459.00 Usd

I am going to be using it for Programming, Math and Physics modeling, Raw photo editing in Lightroom, some 4K video editing (just for fun), and entertainment like watching movies and YT videos.

Basically my daily driver, ill be traveling a lot.

My concerns are battery life but am leaning towards the M1 Pro since it has a better display, speakers, better cooling, and more ports.

The only thing that is making me doubt is the 24 GB of unified memory from the M2 Air.

I bought a brand new 8gb 128gig macbook air at best buy for 849 and could have gotten your spec at 1000 dollars

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

the pro CAN run faster, but it does not really make a difference.

13 hours ago, Omitsito said:

So Im buying a new laptop for my Physics BSc and I'm choosing between two refurbished models

M1 14inch Macbook Pro base model (16GB and 512GB) 1539.00 Usd

or

M2 13inch Macbook Air base M2 chip model but (24GB and 512GB) 1459.00 Usd

I am going to be using it for Programming, Math and Physics modeling, Raw photo editing in Lightroom, some 4K video editing (just for fun), and entertainment like watching movies and YT videos.

Basically my daily driver, ill be traveling a lot.

My concerns are battery life but am leaning towards the M1 Pro since it has a better display, speakers, better cooling, and more ports.

The only thing that is making me doubt is the 24 GB of unified memory from the M2 Air.

I'd go for the MacBook Pro, easily.

The base M1 Pro still has good battery life, and it's more powerful in some situations than the base M2. The extra RAM on the MacBook Air isn't enough to offset the Pro's other advantages.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'd go for the MacBook Pro, easily.

The base M1 Pro still has good battery life, and it's more powerful in some situations than the base M2. The extra RAM on the MacBook Air isn't enough to offset the Pro's other advantages.

Thank you for clearing my doubts. I just bought the M1 Pro and it's arriving tomorrow 😁

15 hours ago, djksm said:

I bought a brand new 8gb 128gig macbook air at best buy for 849 and could have gotten your spec at 1000 dollars

I know I can get it for cheap in other places but I wanted the safety from Apple refurbished store plus I need it to be delivered as fast as possible since ill be traveling to University in a couple of days. The money is not that much of a problem.

53 minutes ago, Omitsito said:

I know I can get it for cheap in other places but I wanted the safety from Apple refurbished store plus I need it to be delivered as fast as possible since ill be traveling to University in a couple of days. The money is not that much of a problem.

Its not refurbished, its new and you can pick it up in a day