AMD launches RX 7900 GRE with Navi 31 on Navi 32 package for $649 MSRP - China Exclusive (at least for now)

AlTech
30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The best 7900 GRE model to buy is the 6800 XT 🙃

yea im a little disappointed with it from these graphs because of what it means for the 7800xt which I expect to be 5-15% slower then the GRE depending on the game. which is no better then the 6800xt. Though if it launches at an MSRP sub 530, then its probably fine. 

Rumors of Navi 41 being nixed/put on back burner to cut losses also is concerning going forward for AMD GPUs if this is the performance of what will be the mid range coming from AMD. 

Im not actually disapointed with the GRE, its still a solid card, its just I didnt realize HOW much this bandwidth cut would hit it. 

If bandwidth is this much of an issue, I really want to see the double stacked cached 7950xtx some day. 

16 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Im not actually disapointed with the GRE, its still a solid card, its just I didnt realize HOW much this bandwidth cut would hit it. 

It's actually both that and the TDP reduction, it's 18% lower so everything has been cut back around this sort of amount (it's on average 19% slower than the 7900 XT). I suspect it's all been very balanced so increasing the TDP won't bring up the performance by much as that memory bandwidth is probably at it's maximum utilization too. Both would have to be increased together to get any worth while gains basically.

Going with the cheaper and slower GDDR is the right choice here, wouldn't have such a drastic price decrease over the 7900 XT otherwise. The other factor is that the packaging yields must be much worse than AMD expected, those MCDs must not be surviving well enough and is why this GRE exists. I can't think of any other reason for it to exist since the 7800 XT will be using a different GPU package.

Also the 7800 XT is likely going to be exactly the same performance as the GRE or 1%-3% less meaning like 5% faster than the 6800 XT while costing more so basically DOA. RX 7000 generation is weird, doesn't make any sense to have these tiny gains like this over the last generation.