Need help - login to ready-to-use time more than doubled after clean reinstall - Win11

OutsideOctaves

I run Windows 11 on an Intel i9 9900K All core 5Ghz>2080 ti>16GB 3200Mhz DDR 4 ram>M.2 SSD system.  I keep windows up to date.

However a little while ago I got in on Windows insider.  Being somewhat tech savvy this was a fun and interesting time, however the constant updates took their toll and I eventually opted out.  I unsubscribed and turned on the off-ramp wait.  That offramp came and went more than once.  Not to mention that even though it was still "updating", it wasn't updating to the latest major builds now that I was opted out.  So after months I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install of windows 11.

I went through, got the same programs and games installed, updated windows, got the major drivers updated and well...

Now the time it takes to go from login to 100% ready to use is over double what it was before I did a clean install.  I'm running the exact same programs as before on startup, no differences there.

I also re-downloaded WinAero Tweak and went through a few options there to take care of Cortana and windows spying.  However that didn't really help.

I've also noticed that programs are taking longer to load as well.  So much so I checked my BIOS to make sure it was still set to all core 5.0Ghz and yea nothing changed there.

So what happened?  With a clean install and update it should be running the same if not slightly faster.  And yet it's lost it's snappiness in all regards, even web pages are a little sluggish o.0

Here's a couple snapshots of my startup items:

image.png.d644b0c5f64d62716163e7f99485734f.png

image.png.2035c835c6abfa69063565514d5abc21.png

what times before after are we talking? 

and i don't have a solution but a suggestion to avoid this in the future:  backups. 

i have several backups,  occasionally make new ones and well, whenever there's an issue i can go back to a working (figuratively clean) state.

its always w10 1809 though because there's literally no better/ more stable version of windows (10)  : )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Before I had a mostly usable pc in 30 or so seconds, and fully usable one in about 60 seconds...  Now it takes about 60 to 90 seconds or so (rough estimation) to get a somewhat usable pc.

Before I could run Firefox seconds after loggin in and get right to youtube... Now if I do that it bogs down the loading entirely, like... I have to wait a while before I can even run anything.

And yes it's best to let it load but I'm just saying... I can't even run anything really until it's done now whereas before I could if I needed to.  It's like suddenly I'm not running the system I was... even though the components are the same, and it's not that different other than a couple major updates.

is fast boot turned on in " bios " and under "settings>power and sleep> additional power settings> choose what power buttons do " ?

if fast boot is turned off then you get a proper system shutdown

if fast boot is turned on you get a fake shutdown, like hybernate or sleep

i prefer a slower boot, so i know all devices are effectively and properly shutdown / released

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

6 hours ago, cretsiah said:

i prefer a slower boot

UwU but then you need fast boot ON cause that's what boots *slower* and why would you prefer that?  So confusing! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

LOL, yea...

In the end, fast boot is off I believe, and has been since I learned about that earlier this year/late last year sometime.

In fact, it used to have the login picture and what not show up almost instantly after hitting enter or sliding the screen up with the mouse, now it lags for a bit as well... hmmmm

Well, to update you guys on somethings:  I found the Intel MEupdateTool's more up to date version... and that has speed things up a few seconds overall and made the system more snappy.

I'm wondering now if there's something else I may have missed in driver/firmware updates that might help in speeding up the initial login time and such as well or if there are some windows settings that I may have forgotten about that might speed things along as well... hmmm (other than fast boot)

Edit:

Double-take WTF moment... Fast Boot was enabled in BIOS... o.0  *blinks a few times*

Yea...

Boot time was sped up just a bit with this as well, as well as log-in to 100% ready-to-use time being speed up by a couple seconds I think, I need to break out my timer next time but in all honesty I'm definitely on the right track.

2nd Edit:

Timed it.

From hitting the enter key to bring up the password entry for windows to fully usable (C drive is down to ~0% Active use):

1:12:41

From typing in password it's 58.64 seconds now.

Somewhere I need to find that additional approximately 28 seconds roughly speaking...  hmmm

so do you really need

- icue ( high priority )

- huion tablet ( not measured - could mean high )

- jusched ( not measured - could mean high )

all running at start-up?

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

icue is mainly for my PSU which is a corsair with the ilink or whatever it was called, but also for some of my RGB, and jusched is the java updater...  And huion is for my Pen Display.

Now, all I know atm is that I had all of this, that is running now on startup before and could be in within 30 to 40 seconds with little to no lag at all on bringing up the login screen.

I'm wondering if a windows update broke the speed or if there may be a driver I've missed o.0; or perhaps I missed a setting?