Simplest way to host a HTML website locally?

Hi.

Firstly, sorry if the title was vague, but I don't know how to properly word it.

I have a website (which is actually part of it, a forum) that I downloaded in October 2013. I want to make it available online.

The forum was entirely downloaded using HTTrack Website Copier. If I click on "index.html", I can browse through like it were the real thing, while still online.

I want to make it available online, but without paying any hosting, since I don't expect many visits anyway. Also, I have a computer which is running 24/7. Even installed a 80 Plus Gold PSU on it.

Although I don't pay for any hosting service, I do have a domain (razzee.site). The domain itself is forwarding to a website I have hosted through BRLOGIC. In this case, would I need a different domain? 

Can someone please point out the easiest way to do it? If needed, I can share the website itself (through a private message), if it makes anything easier to explain.

7 minutes ago, Razzee said:

Hi.

Firstly, sorry if the title was vague, but I don't know how to properly word it.

I have a website (which is actually part of it, a forum) that I downloaded in October 2013. I want to make it available online.

The forum was entirely downloaded using HTTrack Website Copier. If I click on "index.html", I can browse through like it were the real thing, while still online.

I want to make it available online, but without paying any hosting, since I don't expect many visits anyway. Also, I have a computer which is running 24/7. Even installed a 80 Plus Gold PSU on it.

Although I don't pay for any hosting service, I do have a domain (razzee.site). The domain itself is forwarding to a website I have hosted through BRLOGIC. In this case, would I need a different domain? 

Can someone please point out the easiest way to do it? If needed, I can share the website itself (through a private message), if it makes anything easier to explain.

Is this your website? Are you just trying to steal someone elses work?

8 minutes ago, Razzee said:

If there is a forum involved then the data might have been kept on an SQL database of some sort. Do you also have the backup of the database as well? Because if you don't it might not work. If you just straight up copied it with that software, some parts will work, but if you start browsing on the forum (i.e. phpBB or Invision), it may require SQL.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

If you are trying to use HTTrack are you sure it is your own work? I mean if you do not have a hosting or does not know how to then it's a bit fishy no?

Anyways, If you have a 24/7 running PC, Install XAMPP or WAMP, And port forward 80 on your router. If you IP is static, Configure your domain and set a A record pointing to your PC IP

32 minutes ago, Xiee said:

If there is a forum involved then the data might have been kept on an SQL database of some sort. Do you also have the backup of the database as well? Because if you don't it might not work. If you just straight up copied it with that software, some parts will work, but if you start browsing on the forum (i.e. phpBB or Invision), it may require SQL.

Hi.

Sorry for the vagueness, but it's only for viewing purposes. I don't expect it to work in the sense of being able to publish posts.

About "stealing" someone else's work, it's just a backup of a forum that was shut down long ago. The company is not even around anymore.

If copying (what's publicly visible of) a website is "stealing", then what's the Web Archive? The concept is exactly the same.

Just now, Razzee said:

Sorry for the vagueness, but it's only for viewing purposes. I don't expect it to work in the sense of being able to publish posts.

So you just want to view it online linked to your domain but hosted on your home PC?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

29 minutes ago, Xiee said:

So you just want to view it online linked to your domain but hosted on your home PC?

Yeah. But if that's not possible, I don't mind registering a cheap domain (.site or .website).

My domain was registered by Hostinger, but the website it forwards to is hosted by BRLOGIC.

I think I'd need to have access to the hosting panel to create a subdomain, and they won't provide me that much liberty, I believe.

I want just upload the forums I backed up for viewing purposes, since it's nostalgic for many who used it. The whole .rar file has only 1.13 GB.

1 hour ago, Razzee said:

If copying (what's publicly visible of) a website is "stealing", then what's the Web Archive? The concept is exactly the same.

Technically the web archive is full of questionable, pirated, and illegal things as well actually. I think people where just trying to point out, you may want to be careful.

I've run a couple websites for over twenty years now. I've had a couple situations with sites that have "stolen" articles (in their entirety, my code, text, links, images, etc). One site in particular took most of my articles, and many articles from other authors I knew personally. I reached out to all of them, and we all filed DCMA complaints with their web host. The site was down pretty quickly. Oddly enough their web master reached out to me directly, and it was one of their editors supposedly, just submitting articles that they didn't realize were copied from the web.

So while you're probably less likely to have an issue with some forum posts, just keep in mind, just because it's public posted, doesn't necessarily mean it's free to duplicate anywhere. If you notice in the terms down here in the forum people can post material they own the copyright to, as long as they give LMG the rights to display that material (paraphrasing). That's not necessarily giving others the right to save and display the copyrighted material (in issue you could have).