Unable to get a bootable USB with Windows 11 through the use of a somewhat old macbook (High Sierra)

SmallandProud
Go to solution Solved by SmallandProud,

I've managed to borrow a friends Windows laptop to use the Media Creation tool on. That worked fine. However i still got troubles now with the install. A new post will follow. (in the right thread this time, hehe) Thanks for the help so far! 

Browser, version and OS: 

Macbook Air (mid 2011), High Sierra 10.13.6

Issue

I have recently build a new pc and i'm ready to install Windows on it. I have a Windows 11 license as a student. Unfortunately i need to get it on a bootable USB drive, since the one i used before no longer works. However, i only have an old macbook air (High Sierra) to use as a pc for this procedure. So far i've been unsuccessful, because the Boot Camp Assistant only goes to Windows 8 and maybe 10. Unetbootin i've tried aswel, but it doesn't adequately add the install.wim file, thus failing the install. My only option is to find a Windows PC/laptop somewhere and make a bootable USB through that. It's a bit of a last resort, so i'm hoping anyone knows alternatives. 

Help

I might be able to get a Windows 10 license, but it seems a bit ridiculous to have to do that. Any suggestions on how i can make a bootable USB-drive with a Windows 11 Install on it, on a old mac like mine?

If you really have no other options, install Windows 8 or 10 and make the Windows USB from there. Or do the same with Linux.

EDIT: To be clear you do not need a Windows license to use it temporarily for a purpose like this. 

3 minutes ago, SmallandProud said:

My only option is to find a Windows PC/laptop somewhere and make a bootable USB through that. It's a bit of a last resort

a library will have free computers to use that should be able to do it

1 minute ago, emosun said:

^^^ This or run Windows 10 in a VM (VMware has a free option or else use Virtualbox, though that's bog slow on Mac) to run Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, you can hand the USB through to the VM and it works fine. Have done so many times at work as I use a Mac. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

-Thread moved to Troubleshooting-

The Forum Bugs and Issues subforum is only for bugs with the forum itself, not general computer bugs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well, this seems to be the easiest option. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Thread moved to Troubleshooting-

The Forum Bugs and Issues subforum is only for bugs with the forum itself, not general computer bugs.

Woops, first time user mistake. I'll keep it in mind.

6 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

^^^ This or run Windows 10 in a VM (VMware has a free option or else use Virtualbox, though that's bog slow on Mac) to run Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, you can hand the USB through to the VM and it works fine. Have done so many times at work as I use a Mac. 

I'll have a look into it, Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, NeverNotExhausted said:

Try boot into a Linux environment from a USB drive and make a bootable USB drive there?

Well, i'm lacking experience or any knowhow to boot into different environments like Linux. However, if it isn't to complicated, i'll have a look.

16 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

If you really have no other options, install Windows 8 or 10 and make the Windows USB from there. Or do the same with Linux.

EDIT: To be clear you do not need a Windows license to use it temporarily for a purpose like this. 

Good to know! I see if i can manage that if i'm unable to get another PC

Just now, SmallandProud said:

Well, i'm lacking experience or any knowhow to boot into different environments like Linux. However, if it isn't to complicated, i'll have a look.

Not complicated at all, on Apple silicone I don't believe it's possible to create a live USB, but given you're running an Intel based Mac that will make life easier for you. You should find a ton of info online on how to make a live-bootable USB drive for Linux. If you haven't had much exposure to Linux I find Ubuntu is a fairly easy to navigate OS that you'll find a ton of documentation on how to create a Windows install drive on.

I just found this article on creating a Linux Live USB drive, looks like a good starting point for you How to Create a Bootable Linux Live USB on Your Mac (howtogeek.com)

5 minutes ago, SmallandProud said:

Here's a guide I found on making a Windows install drive in Linux for you too

How to Create a Windows 10 Installer USB from Linux - Make Tech Easier

Gnome Disk Utility came with my distro (Nobara) and worked for me for creating a Windows 10 image.

I've managed to borrow a friends Windows laptop to use the Media Creation tool on. That worked fine. However i still got troubles now with the install. A new post will follow. (in the right thread this time, hehe) Thanks for the help so far!