SD Card write speeds very slow when full

Senzelian

I bought a 64GB Samsung Pro Endurance Micro SD card for my FITCAMX dashcam. Samsung specifically recommends this model for dashcams, but I noticed that it wouldn't record any videos sometimes.

The dashcam support said I should do a benchmark, but didn't specify any reason for it (I'm still in contact with them).

Benchmark results when the SD card was full:

Write: 4 MB/s

Read: 80 MB/s

After a quick format, it's still the same, but I suspect that after I formatted the card properly it will function as new. (It's still in the process of doing so)

I'm no noob when it comes to flash storage and so I'm not surprised that the SD card slowed down, but I didn't expect for it to slow down this much!

FITCAMX ships an SD card with their dashcam, which supposedly works fine, but I specifically bought a Samsung SD card because I didn't trust the one it came with. Now I'm wondering if this could be resolved with another SD card from a different manufacturer or with a different Samsung model. Has anyone experience with full SD cards and constant sequential write cycles?

The SD card is formatted in exFAT and I have tested it with my Razer Blade's SD card slot in the original adapter and with a USB 2.0 micro SD card adapter. Both show the same results.

Hmm, the reason you could be seeing slow speeds is if you have satisfied a great part of the maximum amount of writes available on that SD Card. Though, now that I think of it my SanDisk 512GB SD card is slow too, I mean how much can you really expect from those tiny things. The reads do seem good, though.

Yeah I would assume you just wore it down. Dash cams are notorious for it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

28 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

the reason you could be seeing slow speeds is if you have satisfied a great part of the maximum amount of writes available on that SD Card

11 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yeah I would assume you just wore it down. Dash cams are notorious for it.

Interestingly enough Samsung claims a TBW of 140k hours, which equates to 16 years. That's the reason I bought it 😄 

But I've done some more digging and found that the SD card is only rated for 30MB/s writes. What I will do now is keep formatting it, test it, and also buy a new SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB, which is rated for 90MB/s, and see how that one does.

I want to get to the bottom of this. It's nuts to me that an SD card fails after only a few months of usage when it was specifically designed to last many years and installed in a dashcam. I'll keep this post updated if you guys care...

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Interestingly enough Samsung claims a TBW of 140k hours, which equates to 16 years. That's the reason I bought it 😄 

But I've done some more digging and found that the SD card is only rated for 30MB/s writes. What I will do now is keep formatting it, test it, and also buy a new SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB, which is rated for 90MB/s, and see how that one does.

I want to get to the bottom of this. It's nuts to me that an SD card fails after only a few months of usage when it was specifically designed to last many years and installed in a dashcam. I'll keep this post updated if you guys care...

Issue is that most dashcams (at least when I was in the market for one) don’t support TRIM hence why they wear down cards in a weird way. Keep me updated by the way

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Keep me updated too.

2 hours ago, Levent said:

Issue is that most dashcams (at least when I was in the market for one) don’t support TRIM hence why they wear down cards in a weird way. Keep me updated by the way

2 hours ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

Keep me updated too.

The full format of the SD card is done and it's now back to its full write speeds of 32 MB/s. 

So to recap:

SD card full: 4 MB/s

SD card quick format: 4 MB/s
SD card full format: 32 MB/s

I think the entire problem here could actually be TRIM, as the data needs to be deleted when the SD card gets written to and not before that. This might be why dashcams don't support TRIM. But if that's the case, it wouldn't explain the performance issues that I am having according to FITCAMX's support. However, it would explain why my benchmark was showing such low numbers.

So my suspicion is, that either my SD card has problems in general with recording 4K, or my dashcam does actually support TRIM or a similar instruction and therefore is causing issues as it degrades the write performance. I guess I will find out when I test the SanDisk SD card and see if its causing issues too.

Edit:
FITCAMX came back to me and told me to get the card that I just ordered. So we'll see how things go...
image.png.e050032b9d2d0a0ee272b97f0a23843e.png

I would try to decrease partition size, of the few last GB, so it have some OP space. Try it and see how it goes, won't solve the problem, but should slow it down enough (old way of maintaining write speed, on older SSDs)

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

3 minutes ago, kokosnh said:

I would try to decrease partition size, of the few last GB, so it have some OP space. Try it and see how it goes, won't solve the problem, but should slow it down enough (old way of maintaining write speed, on older SSDs)

That's a great idea! Why did I not think of this? 😄 

I will definitely try that during my upcoming tests. Thank you!