Custom Built PC Case?

Go to solution Solved by Damikiller37,

@BenestoTech You are probably best of getting a cheap case that you can use as a 'donor' and then you will have more than just a motherboard tray. Stuff like the HDD cage, power/reset switches as well as the LEDs for them and anything else that you may find useful. In the end it would probably be cheaper that way especially if you find a good cheap case or buy a used one just for those parts.

Yo,

I want to build a custom PC Case, that I design myself. I know you can buy Motherboard trays (I need ATX or XLATX), but I was wondering if anyone knew good places to buy them for relatively cheap? The only one I find on the internet is a Lian Li Aluminum tray, with a fan, but I don't really need it to be aluminium with a fan. I just want a plain motherboard tray, $35 and under, and was wondering if there is anywhere I can get one for cheap? Preferably an Australian store, but I don't mind international as long as the shipping is reasonable. I could probably build my own tray, but its just a lot easier to buy.

Thanks in advance!

BenestoTech

Yo whats up.

Gonna be tough, my first thought was a caselabs one, but $35 won't cover shipping. Can you expand the budget a tiny tiny bit?

@BenestoTech You are probably best of getting a cheap case that you can use as a 'donor' and then you will have more than just a motherboard tray. Stuff like the HDD cage, power/reset switches as well as the LEDs for them and anything else that you may find useful. In the end it would probably be cheaper that way especially if you find a good cheap case or buy a used one just for those parts.

Yo,

I want to build a custom PC Case, that I design myself. I know you can buy Motherboard trays (I need ATX or XLATX), but I was wondering if anyone knew good places to buy them for relatively cheap? The only one I find on the internet is a Lian Li Aluminum tray, with a fan, but I don't really need it to be aluminium with a fan. I just want a plain motherboard tray, $35 and under, and was wondering if there is anywhere I can get one for cheap? Preferably an Australian store, but I don't mind international as long as the shipping is reasonable. I could probably build my own tray, but its just a lot easier to buy.

Thanks in advance!

BenestoTech

Lo,

Just make the tray yourself too. The holes for the different motherboards sizes are standard. You can find more information here....http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

First off, are you aware of what you are getting yourself into? Its not an easy project, unless you have experience in metal working and a garage of tools. I'm not saying it can't be done by the average guy... I just wouldn't recommend it. 90%+ of the custom cases I have seen (including mine) look very tacky and cobbled together.

Your best bet would be scrapping an old case for the tray.

OK, thanks. I might go for a 30-40 rose will mid tower, use the internals and make shell of the case. I'll either go with aluminum or a nice wood, depending on what type im looking for. I've found buttons and USB headers online, which I can install. And the rest I can do myself pretty easily. I enjoy design and construction, so I'm willing to put in some effort to this. If I can get it done, I'll post on the forum! Thanks everyone

Yo whats up.

OK, thanks. I might go for a 30-40 rose will mid tower, use the internals and make shell of the case. I'll either go with aluminum or a nice wood, depending on what type im looking for. I've found buttons and USB headers online, which I can install. And the rest I can do myself pretty easily. I enjoy design and construction, so I'm willing to put in some effort to this. If I can get it done, I'll post on the forum! Thanks everyone

Definitely want to see what you make and I'm glad I could help :)

Hey,

Keep us updated please. I am currently in the design process of doing the same thing. I wont be pulling a "Frankenstein", but will be using lots of coated acrylic and lexane. Its cheap and easy to manipulate with basic tools.

Anyway, get some pics up of the process your in, I for one would be very interested to see it.

4770K@4.3Ghz, H100i, Asus DCUII 780Ti x2 SLI, 2x 750GB RAID 0, 2TB WD storage, Thermaltake 1200W, Samsung U28D590D

Asus G74SX w/ 27 SA350H, 512GB 840 Evo RAID 0, Corsair K40, Razer Ouroborus, Triton 5.1 Pro+, Sound Blaster X-fi External Sound Card

Input Director controls them all w/ Galaxy Tab 10.1 Trigone software reporting vital stats for both.