VRR stopped working on PS5 when connected with Soundbar

Beilish
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

You don't need the passthrough on the sounbar. Plug all your sources into the TV, plug the soundbar into the eARC port and you're all set.

Hello,
I have an LG C1 and my soundbar is the LG SN10Y.
I have 2 devices:

• PS 5
  • Nvidia Shield Pro

For some reason, the PS 5 does not enable VRR anymore and I don't know why, but I know it worked a couple of weeks ago.

The setup is like this:

1. Soundbar eARC -- > TV HDMI 2 (eARC).
  2. On Soundbar, HDMI 1 is Nvidia Shield, and HDMI 2 is the PS 5.

Up until now I was just setting the soundbar to eARC, and then on my TV's remote I can choose the source I want (shield or ps5). This is still the case, but now I can't enable VRR.

Some more details:

• Enabled eARC
  • in TV settings
  • Digital sound output is on auto (tried Passthrough as well)
  • Soundbar and TV on latest firmwares.
  • Soundbar is on eARC mode
  • HDMI Input Audio is set to Bitstream

Things I tried already:

• I plugged my PS5 directly to the TV, with 2 different cables and VRR works like that. So it seems to me like the soundbar is the issue.
  • I reset my TV's settings.
  • Tried to un-plug everything.

I don't know what else I should do. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Can't say how to fix the sound bar but what speaks against plugging all your devices straight into the TV? The C1 has 4 full bandwidth ports.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Can't say how to fix the sound bar but what speaks against plugging all your devices straight into the TV? The C1 has 4 full bandwidth ports.

Shouldn't it be like that?

The C1 only has 1 eARC port (HDMI 2), so I wouldn't be able to get eARC support on both the shield and PS5, correct me if I'm wrong. When I first got the TV, I tried it your way and had some issues iirc.

eARC is the audio return. The point is that the TV can take audio from any sources connected directly to it, and send it back to the device connected to the eARC port.

So that's exactly what it's designed for, to avoid having to connect devices to the soundbar. There's only one eARC port since you don't need 2 soundbars.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

eARC is the audio return. The point is that the TV can take audio from any sources connected directly to it, and send it back to the device connected to the eARC port.

So that's exactly what it's designed for, to avoid having to connect devices to the soundbar. There's only one eARC port since you don't need 2 soundbars.

thanks, so I assume my existing setup is correct?

You don't need the passthrough on the sounbar. Plug all your sources into the TV, plug the soundbar into the eARC port and you're all set.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

33 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Thanks, that did it. So I assume I used it wrong the whole time, weird that it worked in the past. So there's literally no downside to use this setup?

Why would there be a downside?

The soundbar is for sound. The TV is for video.

Trying to pass everything through a soundbar to the TV would be the situation that would require asking "Is this there a downside to this?" and you were experiencing the downside.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Why would there be a downside?

The soundbar is for sound. The TV is for video.

Trying to pass everything through a soundbar to the TV would be the situation that would require asking "Is this there a downside to this?" and you were experiencing the downside.

I suppose you're right, I was overthinking it. It's actually a lot better like this, thanks again