Ram doesn't fit the slots

yonalk

It's DDR 4, as is the mobo. The indent is aligned and from all I can tell it should fit. The middle of the sticks seems to be too deep for the slot however. Help?

20230719_173959.jpg

What model is the motherboard and the RAM?

Consider listening to any music from Love Live! You'll enjoy it.

Browsing too much and not posting enough. Feel free to PM!

Just now, Mungaru said:

What model is the motherboard and the RAM?

ASRock A520M-HDV

and

G.Skill AEGIS (F4-3200C16D-16GIS)

1.) Unlatch the clips

2.) First push in the side without clip first but not completely

3.) Start pushing the side with clips as well

4.) Use a bit more force, it should click and the clip should latch.

4 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Most likely you're not pushing it in hard enough.

I thought that as well, but at this point I am somewhat reluctant to push harder, since the board started bending and the ram simply does not budge.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.) Unlatch the clips

2.) First push in the side without clip first but not completely

3.) Start pushing the side with clips as well

4.) Use a bit more force, it should click and the clip should latch.

The sticks fit on both sides. They do not fit in the middle. 

If you push it in fully on one side, the other lifts.

20230719_175802.jpg

Dont place it down on an angle, needs to be straight on both sides. Otherwise you will end up like you have it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, yonalk said:

The sticks fit on both sides. They do not fit in the middle. 

If you push it in fully on one side, the other lifts.

20230719_175802.jpg

Yeah, I said not to push the side in completely. Just make that side go in very slightly first. At least that's how I do it and it works for me every time. What you've done is too much.

But yeah, RAM does take a bit more force to push in.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yeah, I said not to push the side in completely. Just make that side go in very slightly first. At least that's how I do it and it works for me every time. What you've done is too much.

But yeah, RAM does take a bit more force to push in.

Yeah I just pushed it down that far so it would be obvious what the issue is (in the picture). Even when I push with all the force I can can it doesn't go in all the way... It's also not like I haven't done this before, I know you have to push a bit harder, at this point I'm just afraid my RAM or mobo are faulty...

20230719_180354.jpg

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Dont place it down on an angle, needs to be straight on both sides. Otherwise you will end up like you have it. 

I know, I just did it like that in the picture to show that it doesn't fit in the middle. Both sides are ok. It's like the mobo simply doesn't accomodate the extra depth of the stick in the middle.

So I tried putting it into my up and running system and while it was a bit more difficult to get in than I would have liked, it did go in.

Is the new motherboard just out of spec? I really couldn't push the RAM in harder than I already did...

(I know I should clean that heat sink, didn't realize it was that filthy)

20230719_184256.jpg

Did you try all the slots ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 minutes ago, leclod said:

Did you try all the slots ?

The new mobo is mATX so it only has two unfortunately...

54 minutes ago, yonalk said:

Yeah I just pushed it down that far so it would be obvious what the issue is (in the picture). Even when I push with all the force I can can it doesn't go in all the way... It's also not like I haven't done this before, I know you have to push a bit harder, at this point I'm just afraid my RAM or mobo are faulty...

20230719_180354.jpg

That's weird. It looks perfectly fine on the photo. Not sure what else would prevent you from inserting in the stick besides a huge amount of dust/dirt build up in the slot.

Sooooooo, I grabbed the RAM from my existing PC, tried to put it into the new motherboard aaaaand, it also doesn't fit... at this point my best guess is that the motherboard is either faulty or I am missing some specific kind of RAM spec. At any rate, I'll contact ASRock support about this, thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

20230719_185911.jpg

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

That's weird. It looks perfectly fine on the photo. Not sure what else would prevent you from inserting in the stick besides a huge amount of dust/dirt build up in the slot.

Exactly! And the new one just came fresh out of the box! That's exactly why I went to the forum, because I was absolutely dumfounded. There is absolutely nothing, at least visually, that is keeping the RAM from just going in. I have never had something like this happen to me before. I'll try pushing my old RAM into the new mobo one last time and then I'm giving up and conacting support.

1 minute ago, yonalk said:

Exactly! And the new one just came fresh out of the box! That's exactly why I went to the forum, because I was absolutely dumfounded. There is absolutely nothing, at least visually, that is keeping the RAM from just going in. I have never had something like this happen to me before. I'll try pushing my old RAM into the new mobo one last time and then I'm giving up and conacting support.

Can you also show photo of the empty slot from top view? Not that I don't believe you 😄 I just want to see.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Can you also show photo of the empty slot from top view? Not that I don't believe you 😄 I just want to see.

Sure, I've honestly been hoping I've just been doing something wrong the entire time. Really don't want to RMA the board after having installed half a PC on it.

20230719_191758.jpg

Edited by yonalk
Absolutely horrid grammar

1 hour ago, yonalk said:

The new mobo is mATX so it only has two unfortunately...

My mATX board has 4 slots. Most have 4

I believe you must push harder. I try to wiggle left/right a bit while pushing. Try to push evenly on the Dimm.

It will fit. Maybe get somebody stronger than you

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

You can wipe the contacts with 99% isopropyl right before you plug it in (take a lint free rag that’s damp with it and wipe the contacts). Then insert. The IPA will provide a bit of lubrication but will evaporate essentially immediately.

my board was VERY tight as well. 

Do it on a desk and not on your cardboard box. You can still put something thin underneath the board.

Clean the slots with compressed air, it will fit.

Unless it was under extreme heat and missformed, it will fit. 

They dont make offset ddr4 sets/slots.