12VHPWR PCI-e Cable to 3 or 4 8-pins PSU ports?

davidst95
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Be careful, I had terrible issues with that exact CableMod one on my RTX 4080, although mine is a FE. The screen would randomly go black, the fan ramp up to 100%, but everything else keeps working in the background and I had to hard reset the PC to stop it. I've since swapped back to the Nvidia one and it's been solid since.

Edit:

To directly answer the question the cable should be of sufficient quality wire to handle the full power of the RTX 4090 on just 3 plugs as I've seen some companies (Corsair) even just doing 2x 8 pins for 600w cables and people having no issues provided the PSU is capable of driving the power.

Hi, I have a MSI RTX 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G and a Seasonic FOCUS 1000W power supply.   The graphics card has a 12VHPWR to 3x 8-pin PSU plug adapter.   I wanted to clean up my case and bought a Cable Mod 12VHPWR cable that connects directly to the PSU.    I bought the 3x 8-pin version.   They also sell a 4x 8-pin version.   I already bought the 3x 8-pin version, but does it make sense to get the 4x 8-pin version of the cable?   Would it increase either safety or performance?   Also, is it a good idea to use this after-market cable?   Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQWP1VDV

cable.jpg

gpu.jpg

Be careful, I had terrible issues with that exact CableMod one on my RTX 4080, although mine is a FE. The screen would randomly go black, the fan ramp up to 100%, but everything else keeps working in the background and I had to hard reset the PC to stop it. I've since swapped back to the Nvidia one and it's been solid since.

Edit:

To directly answer the question the cable should be of sufficient quality wire to handle the full power of the RTX 4090 on just 3 plugs as I've seen some companies (Corsair) even just doing 2x 8 pins for 600w cables and people having no issues provided the PSU is capable of driving the power.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Edit:

Ok, thanks.   I think I'll return it and eventually putting that money to a PCIE 5.0 ATX 3.0 that has a 12VHPWR port.   I don't risk damaging my card.

David