How good is this psu

rustable

Platinum is just an efficiency rating, it has zero relation to the quality of the unit.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

the fact your power supply claims to be PCIe 5.0 is probably the best warning label to stay the fudge away from it.

there is no such thing as a "PCIe 5.0 power supply". PCIe generations have nothing to do with power supplies, the fact they have to advertise with that means they have nothing good to say.

just a fun sidenote is that this "gaming" power supply is named after a type of mission in GTA that revolves around causing as much destruction as possible...

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

the fact your power supply claims to be PCIe 5.0 is probably the best warning label to stay the fudge away from it.

there is no such thing as a "PCIe 5.0 power supply". PCIe generations have nothing to do with power supplies, the fact they have to advertise with that means they have nothing good to say.

just a fun sidenote is that this "gaming" power supply is named after a type of mission in GTA that revolves around causing as much destruction as possible...

It even blindsided me for a second before I realised its ATX 3.0 it should be advertising.  Clearly designed to "sound right" at a glance while not meaning anything.  Even more worrying to have a junk grade PSU with 12VHPWR given those connectors have barely any safety margin on a good PSU, chances of a bad one melting your GPU socket seems high.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Slottr said:

Platinum is just an efficiency rating, it has zero relation to the quality of the unit.

To some extent it would be, given you need a certain quality of design to meet that requirement which inherently means it can't be complete junk.  There's two problems though:

1) It doesn't guarantee how long the components will last.
2) Junk-grade PSUs will just lie and put the label on when they don't even meet 80+ white standard.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

12 hours ago, rustable said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yPKscf/gamemax-gx-pro-rampage-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-gx-850-pro-bk

Just saw this psu, I know gamemax has a trash reputation, but it's platinum rated and pcie 5.0, and a really good price

reviews dont seem to be that bad but gamemax has an awful reputation so id still avoid unless were talking massive discount, only reason id go and buy that would be for testing just to see if its any good or not

look for another one around the 100$ price range, avoid paying more than 120$. As for the used market you can expect 850w to be around 50$, 1000w to be 60-80$, 1200w to be 80$ and up

You wont be futureproofing with 850w anyways, so prefer a used 1200w unit if you really wanna keep the thing for over 10 years, better quality psus are likely to lean towards or past 15 years, dont buy anything over 7 years old and prefer <5 years old

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 1:14 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

It even blindsided me for a second before I realised its ATX 3.0 it should be advertising.  Clearly designed to "sound right" at a glance while not meaning anything.  Even more worrying to have a junk grade PSU with 12VHPWR given those connectors have barely any safety margin on a good PSU, chances of a bad one melting your GPU socket seems high.

All new power supplies state Pcie 5.0/Atx 3.0 compliant even brands like corsair, Msi, Asus, Nzxt, Thermaltake, gigabyte and Bequiet, so what you are trying to say is i shouldn't go for any of these reputable brands simply because they state Pcie 5.0 in the title.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, manikyath said:

again i will say it...All new power supplies state Pcie 5.0/Atx 3.0 compliant even brands like corsair, Msi, Asus, Nzxt, Thermaltake, gigabyte and Bequiet, so what you are trying to say is i shouldn't go for any of these reputable brands simply because they state Pcie 5.0 in the title.

15 hours ago, dxrkidrees said:

again i will say it...All new power supplies state Pcie 5.0/Atx 3.0 compliant even brands like corsair, Msi, Asus, Nzxt, Thermaltake, gigabyte and Bequiet, so what you are trying to say is i shouldn't go for any of these reputable brands simply because they state Pcie 5.0 in the title.

aside from necro'ing a thread.. there's a difference between saying it is compliant on the spec sheet, and having "PCIe 5.0 ready" at the top of your product page.

16 hours ago, dxrkidrees said:

Of course not, but it doesn't alter the fact PCIe 5.0 has nothing to do with power delivery given the cards using 12VHPWR right now are actually only PCIe 4.0 cards.

Corsair specifically I think its because they AREN'T ATX 3.0 compliant as they just bundle the PCIe to 12VHWPR adapter cables, the PSUs don't physically support the ATX 3.0 new feature where the PSU itself triggers the 4 pin connector to tell the GPU to reduce its TDP if you have plugged in more than one GPU that might push it over the PSUs power limit otherwise.  But IMO that's a largely pointless feature as it doesn't take into account you might be still within the PSU limit based on the actual real-world load, so its limiting the GPU for nothing.

Personally though I think what they are doing is better given the 12VHPWR connector issues - better to only have one of them to keep an eye on than a second one at the back of the PSU where its more likely to get less airflow and be worked loose during cable management, triggering the melting problem. PCIe sockets on the PSU side are much less prone the problems, stupid to replace it with something proven to have a higher chance of problems.