One PC, two OS, stream Games from one OS to another (Proxmox & Looking Glass)

Hey.

This might be the wrong subforum, if so, sorry in advance, but I wasn't sure where to fit this.

Apologies in advance for grammar or spelling errors as well, english is not my first language.

My current computer is nearing its well derserved end. Some of the GPU ports stopped working, I can only use half of the Mainboard USB I/O anymore and performance in new games is getting worse and worse.

Its time for a new PC - I really want to experience raytracing and the other good stuff - but what about the OS.

I used Fedora Linux for roughly a year, before switching back to Windows 10 a few months ago.

Fedora with Gnome just felt so much more intuitive, I loved working with all of the Gnome Shortcuts, the look and feel and so on.

The downsides tho - some of the Software I need just isn't available, some games can not be emulated using Wine due to bad AC implementations and Nvidia Driver "Support" brought me to the edge of insanity.

For this reason I reverted to Windows 10 - for now.

Now, new pc wanted - new concepts - sanity check needed.

Basically, thats what I want to do:

• Get the PC, throw Proxmox on it.
  • Spin up a Nobara VM and a Windows 11 VM. Assign the IGP/Motherboard Display Output to the Nobara VM, assign the dedicated GPU to the Windows 11 VM. Only configure Proxmox from Webui from now on.
  • Setup Passtrough for all other USB and PCI-E Devices (Streamdeck, Soundcard, Scarlett Solo 3) to the Nobara VM.
  • Use looking glass to stream games/apps from the Windows machine to the Nobara Machine (I know of Moonlight/Sunshine but Sunshine as of now does not work with Valorant.. )
  • I'd wake the Win-VM over WOL or whatever Proxmox might offer, use a custom client on it for starting specific apps so I dont have to use it as a full vm. Like a scuffed terminal server of sorts.

Questions / sanity checks:

Any huge flaws I'm missing?

This should work in theory - right?

From what I've read this may or may not add latency up to 20ms and cost me roughly 10% to 15% performance max., based on several factors. Any other mayor drawbacks im missing?

Has anyone ever used something alike? How well does it work?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

First Edit:
Proxmox is still a variable, I am also looking into other Hypervisors, Unraid and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of feel like you're making it more complicated for yourself by adding proxmox into the mix. Based on what I read it would be easier just having Nobara as your host OS and just use virt-manager (uses qemu and libvirt) to configure and start your windows 10 vm. I currently use Ubuntu as my host OS and I use virt-manager for my windows 10 vm which has a nvidia 1080ti passthrough to it. My setup is more complex since I decided to also have a nvidia 1050ti for my host OS so setting it up was a bit of a pain due to nvidia linux drivers but it works great now

Edited by SkyeInert
Spelling

On 7/26/2023 at 11:38 PM, SkyeInert said:

I kind of feel like you're making it more complicated for yourself by adding proxmox into the mix.

I think you are right on that one.
The reason I wanted to use Proxmox in the first place was to run a few smaller vms for some homeautomation and sync stuff in the background as well, but by now I already managed to get everything running on a single raspberry pi 4, which is way more efficient. Not sure what I was thinking before 🙂

I messed around a little with virt-manager and so on, seems good.
Managed to trick most Anti-Cheats to not discover it beeing virtualized, but Vanguard AC seems to not be avoidable for now - guess I'll need to dual boot anyway 😞

Thank you for your post tho, if Vanguard ever becomes bypassable that way again, I'll get this setup running as well!