Some gaming accessories I've owned...

リチャード

Here I will be reviewing: Logitech G930, Logitech G19, Logitech G510, Razer Megalodon, Razer DeathAdder, Astro A40's + Astro Amp and SteelSeries Siberia v2. In that order. Not super extensive, just the basics.

Logitech G930: Wireless Headset

I bought these .. I think back in mid 2010. And I got rid of them back in mid 2010.

• Build quality

They're plasticy and flimsy. Flimsy because it's sort of like two big rocks hanging on either side of a straw.

Here's why I got rid of them 4 weeks after I got them: The headphones started falling off of my head, the pressure towards my head became too low after having worn them for only four weeks. Also, the mic, which is a "mute when you put them up" kind of mic... it fell down on its own. It was as if someone had unscrewed the entire headset but left the screws in.

• Audio quality

The sound was fine. The audio died off after about nine meters. The bass was kind of weak, but other than that it was as good as my old 2.1 system from 1999.

• Mic quality

It was fine, except the sound kept going lower when I spoke and it wasn't on behalf of Skype or Windows...

• Features

The software was useless and didn't work half of the time.

The buttons and volume was on the side of the headset, which meant you had to reach up during i.e gaming to change volume or do whatever.. like using the macro keys. Seriously? Macro keys that you have to reach up for in the middle of an intense fight? Worst idea ever.

Clearly, I did not destroy this headset. It simply fell apart in my hands. And Logitech did what? ... I got nothing in return.

Logitech G19: Wired Keyboard with LCD

I got these for Christmas in the end of 2010. I "got rid of it" in the summer of 2011. Why the quotation marks? Because it broke, without my assistance, though not on its own.

• Build Quality

Bulky, sturdy. Really okay, with a steel bar holding the LCD.

• Features

Software was really difficult to understand. In the end I only used it to change the back lighting.

The LCD was useless, never used it, never even looked down at it. Why would I f***ing look down to read two lines of the latest breaking headline on some news site? Only worked with one game, WoW. And I don't play WoW.

The macro buttons were way far off. You'd have to have a giant's hands to be able to use those in high pressure situations.

In the end this flagship keyboard of theirs only had one quality I was actually interested in: the back lighting. Here's the thing though..... it's weak as hell. Barely helps even if it's dark. And it doesn't look very cool either.

And now... guess what? It has its own cable to plug into the wall. We were going to our summer house, and I brought the computer with all my accessories I had at the time. One morning there was a lightning storm when I was sleeping. Mom was up and she unplugged the computer & screen.... but she didn't know a keyboard had a plug of its own.. so she left it in.

Lightning struck the house, the keyboard died. Logitech's response? Even if I had nothing to do with the keyboard getting ruined and with a 2 year warranty for their flagship keyboard..? 30% off on an item in their web store.

Logitech G510: Wired keyboard with LCD

I got these with the 30% discount... which was the worst idea ever. The G510 is the G19 except uglier and with even more unavailable macro buttons. Stupid purchase... and I'm never getting anything from Logitech again.

Razer Megalodon: 7.1, 5.1 or/and 2.1 Wired Headset w/o Amp

Got these after my G930's broke. Had them for almost one and a half years.

• Build Quality

Pretty sturdy, though really light on the head. They stayed intact unlike the G930's.

• Audio Quality

Very good. Only problem was that the 7.1/5.1 (You could change it to 5.1 somewhere with software..) sounded extremely artificial... and I guess it was, technically. Also, the max sound level wasn't very loud.

• Mic Quality

Nothing to complain about. All good.

• Features

Everything looked really cool. The buttons had their own little island, like a built-in Amp, which looked swell.

Why do I not have it anymore? Well, the cables tangled themselves so much that the cable ended up being like a foot long. And they were untangle-able. So what did I decide to do? I tried to fix it on my own... and I accidentally cut the cable in half. Since it was my own fault, I couldn't ask Razer for any refund.

Razer DeathAdder: Wired Mouse

I've had this since 09, and I still have it.

• Build Quality

It's light, but still feels really sturdy and comfortable in my hand.

• Features

It has two very easily accessible and easy to use macro buttons. They're very easy to customize in the software, Razer Synapse.

The DPI goes up to 5600, which is what I use for my dual monitor setup. It's starting to feel a little slow for me, so I'm thinking of getting a 8400DPI next time. I also want more macro keys, since I find myself using these all the time.

Astro A40's + Astro Amp: Wired 7.1 & 2.1 Headset and Amp.

Got these after the Megalodons and after the Siberia v2's. Still have them.

• Build Quality

Holy shit it's good. Very sturdy, not too heavy, customizable and beautiful.

• Audio Quality

Very good. Good bass, and high volume if you want it. Only problem I have is that sometimes you can turn the audio down on the amp and instead of decreasing the volume.. it gets raised. There is also sometimes static when you do it. And the audio levels can become unbalanced like... it's louder in the left headphone than the right... but it levels itself out after a few seconds.

I might ask Astro to send me a new Amp and see if the problem persists.

• Mic Quality

Brilliant, nothing else to say. People love my voice coming out of this. Okay... there is one thing to say.... There's a mic on the "muter" which hangs on the headset chord. Like, sometimes I can pull the mic out of the headphone it's in and people I talk to over Skype can still hear me. And sometimes it decides to prioritize that "muter mic" over the actual mic, and they can hear the "muter" rub against my shirt. I don't know why it does this.. but it's rarely a problem, happens like maybe once every month.

• Features

There isn't any software as far as I know... and if there is...... actually let me go look that up xD Okay, no, there's none. Anyway, there's this one thing on the Amp which is completely useless. Under the big volume nob, there's a smaller nob where you can choose between "Game" and "Voice"... but all it does is turn the volume up and down, like a fine-tuner. Completely useless and I don't know why they've labelled it as if Game has to have really high volume while Voice just mutes all the sound.

SteelSeries Siberia v2: Wired Headset

Had these for a little while between the Megalodons and the Astros.

• Build Quality

Flimsy and light as a feather.

• Audio Quality

I don't really have any other word for it than... shit. Like it was reeeeeallly bad. Holy damn, worst sound quality ever. Oh well..

• Mic Quality

Terrible. Just terrible. People couldn't hear me at all, and the mic got stuck on the inside of the headphone (It was one of those that you could retract into the headphone and then pull out when you needed it.)

• Features

Ugly as hell and had no real features.

If these are v2s I really feel bad for anyone who bought the "v1s" If this is an upgrade, the last version must have sucked hard. No idea why my cousin recommended these. Holy damn.

I know a lot of you will hate me now. So many Logitech and SteelSeries fanboys out there... but oh well. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I'd have to be stupid to trust them after three complete fails.

I've got some nice Logitech speakers, but honestly I don't like the feel of their mice... and their only mechanical keyboard is rather expensive...

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I haven't been a fan of Logitech's MX-518 and G700, both were big disappointments.

Didn't you use some kind of surge protector at the time?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Didn't you use some kind of surge protector at the time?

I don't know... Didn't know they worked against lightning strikes though.

Quote directly from Wikipedia article: "The terms surge protection device (SPD), or the obsolescent term transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS), are used to describe electrical devices typically installed in power distribution panels, process control systems, communications systems, and other heavy-duty industrial systems, for the purpose of protecting against electrical surges and spikes, including those caused by lightning."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have owned/used almost all of the products you reviewed, and they have all worked perfectly fine. Honestly, I wouldn't trust this guy. There are thousands of good reviews on these products.

I haven't been a fan of Logitech's MX-518 and G700, both were big disappointments.

Why didn't you like the MX518?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Why didn't you like the MX518?

It was even less responsive than the G700 (which is saying alot), low sensitivity sensor, and some of my fingers cramped frequently.

I have owned/used almost all of the products you reviewed, and they have all worked perfectly fine. Honestly, I wouldn't trust this guy. There are thousands of good reviews on these products.

Like I said, this is my personal experience with these things.

I would personally have to be really stupid, though, to trust that one company *ahem* again after three bad products in a row.

Quote directly from Wikipedia article: "The terms surge protection device (SPD), or the obsolescent term transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS), are used to describe electrical devices typically installed in power distribution panels, process control systems, communications systems, and other heavy-duty industrial systems, for the purpose of protecting against electrical surges and spikes, including those caused by lightning."

Then I guess there wasn't one. I'd imagine the entire house has one, but we still unplug all the TVs and computers, but we don't unplug lights and other bigger things like refrigerators.

The point, though, is that no person ruined that keyboard. And seeing as how it is(?) was their flagship gaming keyboard for $300 I was definitely entitled to way more than 30% off. I shouldn't even get a percentage off, I should get a replacement. Hell, you write to Razer about a button on your mouse not responding correctly, and you don't even have to give a reason for it, they'll send you a brand new mouse.

I understand that it's a company and that they want to make money like all of us. And in all honesty, they don't owe me shit. But here's the thing... why do companies offer replacements and discounts if you product breaks? Because they want us to but their products.... and quite frankly, this just tells me that Logitech's deals suck, so why would I buy from them?