Wi-Fi help

shanklecow
Go to solution Solved by shanklecow,
On 7/12/2023 at 10:23 PM, shanklecow said:

Is there any preferably free softwares or tricks to significantly boost Wi-Fi speed for gaming?

Alright thank you all for the help I'll probably switch to Ethernet soon when we move.

Is there any preferably free softwares or tricks to significantly boost Wi-Fi speed for gaming?

I do not think that you can choose how fast your wifi is, it should be dependant on the ISP, but if you mean latency nothing is better than ethernet.

2 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

I do not think that you can choose how fast your wifi is, it should be dependant on the ISP, but if you mean latency nothing is better than ethernet.

Ah, my internent is downstairs my setup is upstairs.

Besides physically plugging in or getting an extender / mesh system. No, theres no software that's going to magically boost your speed from your router to your computer. 

1 hour ago, shanklecow said:

Not on the PC, no.

On the router you have quite a few settings you could tweak to potentially increase the speed, but in a lot of cases, it is only a slight improvement.

If you want a better connection, use a cable.

If you cant run cable try a ethernet over power (not POE) set up but it depends  on your houses wiring on how well that works.

Other then getting wifi 6E or AX you don't got lot other then running a cable. which is the most effective and chepest

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

Changing the wifi channel, or swapping 2.4ghz to 5ghz can affect the speed (note I said affect, not improve, it can get worse as well as better!), but as said above, the change is slight at best as the biggest impacts on wifi are features of the building that might impact how well the signal gets from the router to the PC. 

In some cases extenders can help, but generally the only way to ensure that you get 100% of your speed is using cable throughout.

10 hours ago, cooky560 said:

Changing the wifi channel, or swapping 2.4ghz to 5ghz can affect the speed (note I said affect, not improve, it can get worse as well as better!), but as said above, the change is slight at best as the biggest impacts on wifi are features of the building that might impact how well the signal gets from the router to the PC. 

In some cases extenders can help, but generally the only way to ensure that you get 100% of your speed is using cable throughout.

Does the cable directly need to be plugged into the Wi-Fi router? I've seen an Ethernet port in my room but I tried using it and nothing happened.

10 minutes ago, shanklecow said:

I've seen an Ethernet port in my room but I tried using it and nothing happened.

At the end of the day something has to be plugged in to the router to get that Ethernet port in your room working. Generally Ethernet cabling is ran to a central point in your home. Might be in a utility room or something of that nature. The other end of the cable has to be plugged in to the router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, shanklecow said:

Does the cable directly need to be plugged into the Wi-Fi router? I've seen an Ethernet port in my room but I tried using it and nothing happened.

The cable needs to get from the PC to the router in some capacity. Usually this is directly, however if you don't want to drill holes in your walls (depending on how far the cable is going, not everyone has a pc and router in the same room), there are options such as networking over the mains (plugs that use one near the pc, and one near the router) to use your electricity supply as a giant ethernet cable. 

Networking over the mains has some increased latency compared to a direct cable connection, but nothing close to the latency variance that comes with WiFi, networking over the mains will also not impact speed in the same way WiFi does, unless the connectors you use are slower than the speed of connection you are using.

On 7/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, shanklecow said:

Ah, my internent is downstairs my setup is upstairs.

TP-Link do some good powerline ethernet units for this. but any ethernet powerline unit will work.
While latency is not quite as good as direct ethernet or SFP Fibre it is more stable and alot better than wireless can be minus a small hit to internet speed. Otherwise its a case of upgrading to wifi 6 which is not a cheap option if your router does not already support it.

This is kinda a fools errand unless you plan on spending thousands. All internet will come in fast and taper down some and that can be because of others on the line in your house, in the local grid, the router, the isp throttling, etc... so many reasons. Wired everything is the best case and youll still have other things you just cant control like previously mentioned. Its the nature of the beast.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:23 PM, shanklecow said:

Alright thank you all for the help I'll probably switch to Ethernet soon when we move.