Need a replacement 4K monitor, what should I choose?

johnm7115

Hello,

I need to replace my 9 year old 4K monitor soon as it's starting to show signs of hardware problems. I'm having trouble deciding on what to buy since my ideal choice of a monitor still doesn't exist yet. There are 2 routes I could take right now, a cheap monitor that meets my minimum requirements and get my ideal monitor later down the road, or a monitor that comes close to my ideal monitor. $1500 CAD is around the max I want to be spending right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Uses: Around 9 hours per day on average. Close to 90% for normal use (programming, browsing the web, etc.), remaining 10% of the time for gaming and media consumption. I WFH and currently use the laptop from work beside it as the computer, a mic, webcam, and extra monitor during work.

Requirements:

• Resolution: 4K
  • Size: 28 - 32 inches
  • 1 DP input and 1 HDMI 2.0/2.1 input

Ideal monitor:

• Everything in the requirements plus:
  • Variable refresh rate down to 24 Hz (does Freesync work with VLC and browser based video players?)
  • Amazing colours and reasonably colour accurate
  • Good HDR and desktop use experience
  • KVM
  • 10 bit colour, 120 Hz without DSC  (I'll need a new GPU for this, but I'm planning to keep the monitor for a long time)
  • QD-OLED? (I'm not sure about this since I do use it desktop use most of the time)
  • VESA mountable

GPU: RTX 2070

Current Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch, 4K monitor which I use at 100% scaling

Thanks.

Good HDR limits the choice a fair bit, and so does KVM.

There are no QD-OLED 4K 27-32" panels. I know, I would buy one if they existed lmao.

Here are my suggestions;

Samsung Neo G7, it hits the HDR requests (if you can find it, they appear to be sold out)

Gigabyte M32U, it's lacking in HDR but it has decent colour and a built in KVM switch, and is pretty cheap

27 minutes ago, johnm7115 said:

Hello,

I need to replace my 9 year old 4K monitor soon as it's starting to show signs of hardware problems. I'm having trouble deciding on what to buy since my ideal choice of a monitor still doesn't exist yet. There are 2 routes I could take right now, a cheap monitor that meets my minimum requirements and get my ideal monitor later down the road, or a monitor that comes close to my ideal monitor. $1500 CAD is around the max I want to be spending right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Uses: Around 9 hours per day on average. Close to 90% for normal use (programming, browsing the web, etc.), remaining 10% of the time for gaming and media consumption. I WFH and currently use the laptop from work beside it as the computer, a mic, webcam, and extra monitor during work.

Requirements:

Ideal monitor:

• Variable refresh rate down to 24 Hz (does Freesync work with VLC and browser based video players?)
  • KVM
  • 10 bit colour, 120 Hz without DSC  (I'll need a new GPU for this, but I'm planning to keep the monitor for a long time)
  • QD-OLED? (I'm not sure about this since I do use it desktop use most of the time)
  • VESA mountable

Current Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch, 4K monitor which I use at 100% scaling

Thanks.

get the Gigabyte M32U 32" 4k if you're on budget or get the Samsung Odyssey G7 NEO 32" 4k if you want something better

2 hours ago, johnm7115 said:

Monitors nowadays have LFC (low framerate compensation). When fps dipped below freesync range the monitor can multiply refresh rate so it reaches back within freesync range. E.g. Monitor with 48-144hz freesync, 30fps = 60hz, 22fps = 66hz and so on. 

I don't think VRR works with media players, but I do use MPC-BE with madVR plugin and one of its setting allows changing fixed refresh rate automatically when viewing video.  Unfortunately I don't know much about VLC whether it has that option nor something to remove judder if fps is mismatching refresh rate. 

2 hours ago, johnm7115 said:

Better be safe not to get OLED for work primarily as it can eventually cause burn-in, but currently there's no 4k 27-32 inch OLED. 

Agreed with other posts, Gigabyte M28U / M32U fits your requirements and Samsung Neo G7 may have the most ideal list. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

5 hours ago, johnm7115 said:

Hello,

Requirements:

Ideal monitor:

• KVM
  • VESA mountable

Thanks.

good hdr means the m32u is out, bnseline would be a neo g7

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-FreeSync-Ultrawide-DisplayPort-Adjustable/dp/B09ZH1Q6TT?th=1

or a 32m2v

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCK1K44F/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2SHWIYMNRTTNZ&psc=1

the 32m2v has better colors than the g7, the 27m2v is a better deal atm but ur requirement is 28-32inch

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Thank you all for your responses.

On 7/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, DarkKratoz said:

There are no QD-OLED 4K 27-32" panels. I know, I would buy one if they existed lmao.

I definitely noticed all of that when I was searching. Back when I got my current monitor, I was like I'm going to use this for a few years and get an OLED 4K monitor when it comes out, but 9 years later there are still none of reasonable size and somewhat affordable.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, BuzzingBee said:

Monitors nowadays have LFC (low framerate compensation). When fps dipped below freesync range the monitor can multiply refresh rate so it reaches back within freesync range. E.g. Monitor with 48-144hz freesync, 30fps = 60hz, 22fps = 66hz and so on. 

I don't think VRR works with media players, but I do use MPC-BE with madVR plugin and one of its setting allows changing fixed refresh rate automatically when viewing video.  Unfortunately I don't know much about VLC whether it has that option nor something to remove judder if fps is mismatching refresh rate. 

Very interesting, thank you!

-----

Based on what I'm seeing, I'm going to skip out on the OLED due to burn in risk with lots of static content. 

I haven't had any luck with finding any stores to try out a Neo G7, which from what I heard, some people like the curvature, some heat it, and also see how the viewing angles are in person.

The Innocn 32M2V was another one that looks close if I couldn't have my ideal monitor, but decide to get something close.

Alternatively, I wonder if I should just get some placeholder monitor and wait for something better to come out. Is there anything of note coming out soon?

4 hours ago, johnm7115 said:

The Innocn 32M2V was another one that looks close if I couldn't have my ideal monitor, but decide to get something close

Alternatively, I wonder if I should just get some placeholder monitor and wait for something better to come out. Is there anything of note coming out soon?

You're always going to be waiting for something better.

We only finally got reasonably-sized OLED panels this year with LG's Ultragear stuff, and last year we finally got 42-inch OLED TVs and monitors.

You sound like you want to buy the bleeding edge which also means you're going to have to accept that you're going to be a guinea pig for any first generation issues.

Mini-LED is still a new-ish technology with a high price premium, and micro-LED is still insanely expensive.

This is my first time hearing about this INNOCN monitor but the RTINGS review (for the 27") looks favorable.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/innocn/27m2v

If you're willing to take the risk of buying a monitor that seems suspiciously affordable- $1000 compared to the similar $1800 ROG Swift PG32UQX and the $2500 ViewSonic XG321UG- and will probably have difficult after-sales support (looks like they're HQ'd in Shenzhen, China), then this looks like a great option.

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

20 hours ago, johnm7115 said:

Thank you all for your responses.

I definitely noticed all of that when I was searching. Back when I got my current monitor, I was like I'm going to use this for a few years and get an OLED 4K monitor when it comes out, but 9 years later there are still none of reasonable size and somewhat affordable.

Very interesting, thank you!

-----

Based on what I'm seeing, I'm going to skip out on the OLED due to burn in risk with lots of static content. 

I haven't had any luck with finding any stores to try out a Neo G7, which from what I heard, some people like the curvature, some heat it, and also see how the viewing angles are in person.

The Innocn 32M2V was another one that looks close if I couldn't have my ideal monitor, but decide to get something close.

Unfortunately I'm not up to speed as to what monitors are coming, but if I were to guess OLEDs are currently trending so expect more of that. I also heard about IPS-black panel but they're currently not in gaming monitors yet. 

IMO if you can't deal with Neo G7's curve then you're stuck with IPS panel, which is possibly the best middle solution for work and gaming. I also didn't hear about Innocn 32M2V until @xg32pointed out, as it turns out it's not available in my country.

But I still cannot say whether to get placeholder monitor like M32U or go all-in on say 32M2V. My own way would be to get seperate work monitor then get another OLED screen just for gaming/watching. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

On 7/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, DarkKratoz said:

Here are my suggestions;

Samsung Neo G7, it hits the HDR requests (if you can find it, they appear to be sold out)

Gigabyte M32U, it's lacking in HDR but it has decent colour and a built in KVM switch, and is pretty cheap

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz 1ms G-Sync 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor, Quantum HDR2000, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, Ultrawide Game View, DisplayPort, HDMI, Height Adjustable Stand, Black, 2022 : Electronics

Not sure where the OP is located, but I am also looking for a new monitor. In my search I found the G7 ins tock on Amazon marked dow to $849. A killer deal TBH.