5600X3D all AMD build but it's paired with a bad GPU

So this is not something I had planned on doing but here we are...

After reading and watching about the rather bazar 5600X3D and having no self control I decided to pick up the RAM, Motherboard and CPU combo at Microcenter. Which can be found here

I had 0 reason for doing this other than upgrading to something that officially supports Windows 11 and some random memory detection issues on my current X99 based system. I also hope this will give me an incentive to get back into some PC gaming and try out some newer titles... but that is where this gets "fun" since I will be pairing this with my XFX R9 390 until I decide to upgrade the GPU. At least it is all AMD? 🥴

Here is a link to my old build log on this current system if you are curious! Everything has remained the same minus changing over to a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P paired with a Xeon E5-1650v3 and 32GB of ECC 2400 4x8gb and a few little things like newer and less hard drives. https://linustechtips.com/topic/537405-sleeper-inwin-q2000-case-mod/#comment-7126881

Anyway let's get into the build! Also if you are building a system around the 5600X3D I would love to see it or hear what you think of it so far! GPU recommendations?

Here are the parts as linked above:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X3D

Heatsink - Deepcool AK620

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8gb 3200 DDR4

Motherboard - ASUS B550-Plus Wifi II

GPU - XFX R9 390 8Gb

Storage - Crucial P5 Plus 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Blue Sata 2.5 SSD and a 1TB WD Black 3.5 Hard drive

Case - InWin Q2000

Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 750 watt semi modular

All of this will be built on a 2001 Honda CRV folding table!

20230707_212547.jpg

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Just about to tear into the system but before I did here is a quick R23 Cinebench run and CPU-Z info on the current X99 setup

Screenshot 2023-07-07 221346.jpg

2 hours ago, iHardware Shelden said:

GPU - XFX R9 390 8Gb

I mean its not so bad, Its equal to RX480 8GB in performance. Just, much much much hotter.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

I mean its not so bad, Its equal to RX480 8GB in performance. Just, much much much hotter.

She is a toasty one, will be interesting to see with this CPU how that goes. It was usually sitting around 70c-73c playing Rust and doing Folding@Home.

Interesting I've honestly never looked at performance comparisons with newer cards, I've been out of the hardware news since around Skylake and 9xx series (same time I bought this gpu) 

The card is honestly great for what I've been using it for even currently, the 8gb of VRAM definitely paid off long run over a GTX 970 which I almost got. It's also paired with a FreeSync 120hz monitor at 1080p and I've ran the unofficial drivers since AMD dropped support for this card last year.

I think my biggest push to buy a new card will be Titanic Honor and Glory/Project 401 or a higher resolution display

It's coming together, I can only hope this motherboard didn't need a BIOS update to post, if it does post I'll be updating it ASAP given what reviews have said about performance issues on out of date ones.

20230707_231714.thumb.jpg.94d73e5ea97e584388e4cd9576f15bb1.jpg20230707_232943.thumb.jpg.15c297f1c21beda8e6de498480293cea.jpg20230708_000803.thumb.jpg.3fd6404cee00c335692498ca86a9af82.jpg

She boots! Time to get Windows installed and stuff updated.

Are there any benchmarks that people would be interested in me running?

20230708_003346.thumb.jpg.3eac526e84818daea9ff07d0903c872f.jpg20230708_003910.thumb.jpg.0e846eb9a2e325973845ece30527a362.jpg20230708_003920.thumb.jpg.fe4bff32469b5ff4708ce00cbdb6e707.jpg

Wow, I knew there was something about this build that was calling out to me when I first saw it, but I totally glossed over the case in the parts list.

Love it!

Hope you've got the airflow figured out though. (I didn't need to, in fact I chose my old beige box to have fewer holes to block.)

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

1 hour ago, DJ46 said:

Wow, I knew there was something about this build that was calling out to me when I first saw it, but I totally glossed over the case in the parts list.

Love it!

Hope you've got the airflow figured out though. (I didn't need to, in fact I chose my old beige box to have fewer holes to block.)

Yeah she stays cool even with these hot components! Got x2 fans up front also I believe are 120mm. Had the case modified back in high-school to fit the larger fans since originally it had 3 80mm fan mounts. That was sufficient for the dual pentium III server that was in this before but not for the FX 6300 and 650 ti I had originally and especially these components now!

Glad you like the build! Thank you 🙂

can add a fan or 2 to the bottom if needed to help gpu temps. but looks good.

could cut the mesh off the fans too.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

can add a fan or 2 to the bottom if needed to help gpu temps. but looks good.

could cut the mesh off the fans too.

Yeah Temps are great honestly, I added the mesh fan covers on to prevent the cables from going into the fans since this case doesn't have a basement or room behind the motherboard to really route them. Running test the CPU doesn't go higher than 70c and GPU 73c under full load so ill call that a win!