Bios wont show 2nd CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
11 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

NTEL CORE i7-5960X x2

those are single socket cpus, you need a dual socket compatible cpu like a e6 26xx v3/v4 cpu..

9 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

Confused.  Each CPU has to have its own RAM populated.  If you have only 2 sticks you should put one of the sticks in a slot of the other CPU.  Then check again.

You actually don't need ram populated to use a cpu. I've done this on many lga 2011 systems cause I can.

I have a x99 board with 2 xeons in, but only the ram and CPU will show up for one of them in Bios. Is that normal? Both sockets get hot so I know they;re both getting power. I don;t need to boot into Windows 1st right? THe bios should show both CPUs correct?

Chinese X99 Dual Server Computer Motherboard LGA2011-3 CPU DDR4 Memory Game Mainboard

INTEL CORE i7-5960X x2

2x8 stick of ram. 

1300w g+ psu and both CPU power connectors are hooked up.

1 minute ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

2x8 stick of ram. 

Confused.  Each CPU has to have its own RAM populated.  If you have only 2 sticks you should put one of the sticks in a slot of the other CPU.  Then check again.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

5 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

Each CPU has a single stick. Still only 1 stick of ram and 1 cpu showing up.

Just now, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Each CPU has a single stick. Still only 1 stick of ram and 1 cpu showing up.

Okay.  That's not right then, you should definitely see the total memory for the whole system.

Gonna need more board info.

11 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

NTEL CORE i7-5960X x2

those are single socket cpus, you need a dual socket compatible cpu like a e6 26xx v3/v4 cpu..

9 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

You actually don't need ram populated to use a cpu. I've done this on many lga 2011 systems cause I can.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ah fawk me sideways. Figured all Xeons we compatible. Well there lies the issue. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Memory over UPI bus?  Seriously? 🤣

Just now, r00tb33r said:

Memory over UPI bus?  Seriously? 🤣

Yup. Its designed to do this when it needs to access memory from a different memory pool, but can work with no memory on a cpu.

Ah fawk me sideways. Figured all Xeons we compatible. Well there lies the issue. 

isn't that a i7? no i7s are compatible with dual socket setups

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup. Its designed to do this when it needs to access memory from a different memory pool, but can work with no memory on a cpu.

Huh.  That's comical though, cause the bandwidth of the UPI bus is quite poor.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

isn't that a i7? no i7s are compatible with dual socket setups

I don't even know what the hell to look for when it comes to duel compatible CPUs. I'm setting a server to run VMs like MC server, FiveM server, Plex etc. Was shooting for 8 cores CPUs. Any ideas? Ebay shopping.

I don't even know what the hell to look for when it comes to duel compatible CPUs. I'm setting a server to run VMs like MC server, FiveM server, Plex etc. Was shooting for 8 cores CPUs. Any ideas? Ebay shopping.

Look at the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_processors_(Broadwell-based)#Xeon_E5-26xx_v4_(dual-processor)

the e5 26xx v4(v3 parts will work but with current prices why get them) are what you want. 

Maybe get a e5 2667 v4, about 3.5 all core, but there parts are made for core counts not clock speed generally.

15 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

The Core i7-5960X is a Core i7, just like the name says. Xeons have entirely different names. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Look at the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_processors_(Broadwell-based)#Xeon_E5-26xx_v4_(dual-processor)

the e5 26xx v4(v3 parts will work but with current prices why get them) are what you want. 

Maybe get a e5 2667 v4, about 3.5 all core, but there parts are made for core counts not clock speed generally.

You're my savior. Goes to show you can physically troubleshoot all you want, but at the end of the day you should ALWAYS just ask LTT. Ended up buying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185956916451

Guess its time to unload some i7's.