Horrible performance on MSFS

Javawind

Hey so im trying to tweak my settings for microsoft flight simulator 2020, and im having pretty bad performance. My specs are, AMD FX 8350, GTX 1080, 20GB of ram. A terabyte of m.2 ssd with plenty space available. Not sure why im getting 20 fps on the lowest settings. From what ive seen from others it should be much higher. I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1050ti and ive made sure all my drivers are updated. Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Javawind said:

Hey so im trying to tweak my settings for microsoft flight simulator 2020, and im having pretty bad performance. My specs are, AMD FX 8350, GTX 1080, 20GB of ram. A terabyte of m.2 ssd with plenty space available. Not sure why im getting 20 fps on the lowest settings. From what ive seen from others it should be much higher. I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1050ti and ive made sure all my drivers are updated. Any thoughts?

Your FX 8350 is definitely the limiting factor here. MSFS is quite CPU heavy and this CPU is not very good.
Seen a few clips on Youtube with the same CPU and they are getting between 17-28fps.

MSFS is an incredibly tough game to run even on high-end hardware. A CPU upgrade would definitely help though.

Outside of an upgrade, your best bet is to follow some of the optimization guides, disable all AI vehicles, and disable or lower clouds. You'll have much better performance in the air in a sparsely-detailed region than on the ground at a large airport. Cockpit view is also much more intensive unless you disable reflections/visual effects and lower the cockpit refresh rate while flying jets.

36 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Your FX 8350 is definitely the limiting factor here. MSFS is quite CPU heavy and this CPU is not very good.
Seen a few clips on Youtube with the same CPU and they are getting between 17-28fps.

Any recommendations for an upgrade that isnt a horrible price lol?

1 minute ago, Javawind said:

Any recommendations for an upgrade that isnt a horrible price lol?

That really depends on what one would consider horrible 😄  If you give a budget that would make it easier to get something together.  Are we talking 50 dollars or 200?

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

That really depends on what one would consider horrible 😄  If you give a budget that would make it easier to get something together.  Are we talking 50 dollars or 200?

Well considering id have to upgrade my motherboard too because I dont think any modern cpu use AM3 chipsets. Prob around 200. Also willing to switch to intel if its cheaper/better.

1 minute ago, Javawind said:

Well considering id have to upgrade my motherboard too because I dont think any modern cpu use AM3 chipsets. Prob around 200. Also willing to switch to intel if its cheaper/better.

Finding something for around 200 usd should be doable.  CPU, RAM and motherboard.  The used market can be a very good place to look if you know what to look for.  I will see what I can help with tomorrow, its 4AM here where I live and I need some sleep 🙂  

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Finding something for around 200 usd should be doable.  CPU, RAM and motherboard.  The used market can be a very good place to look if you know what to look for.  I will see what I can help with tomorrow, its 4AM here where I live and I need some sleep 🙂  

Sure all help would be greatly appreciated. See your tmr thanks. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Javawind said:

Sure all help would be greatly appreciated. See your tmr thanks. 🙂

No problem, I'll definitely have a look tomorrow 🙂
You could also make a new post / thread in New Builds and Planning and asking for recommended CPU / RAM and Motherboard upgrade for a budget of 200 dollars.  People would love to help you out 🙂