Am I asking too much?

TriBeard

So I have a Rosewill Capstone 750w PSU. It's been rock solid up until this point. Last night, I was working on some data recovery for a customer, and unplugged my optical drive to plug in her hard drive to see what I could get off. Everything went fine, and I got what I could. I then powered off the computer, plugged the bluray drive back in and turned it back on. Only, it started smoking. I yanked the power cord and it stopped, but the connector on the PSU is obviously (and literally) toast, and it ruined my bluray drive as well. I contacted rosewill, but all they will do, at least so far, is replace the unit with another one of the same and only after I send in my current unit, leaving me without a computer. They won't do anything about the 100ish bluray drive that is now toast. Am I asking too much by trying to get them to replace or reimburse me for the component their product damaged?

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Sadly most of the times they don't even though they should. Did the blu-ray drive come with a warranty?

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Sadly most of the times they don't even though they should. Did the blu-ray drive come with a warranty?

It may have, but I bought it back in probably 2009 or so. I bought it right after the format wars were ending, thinking it would be the last disk drive I would ever need, and up until now I had thought that it would be. It was the oldest thing in my PC, and the one thing that never gave me any trouble at all.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

I know rosewill makes external blu ray drives. Perhaps ask for like half off of one perhaps? Along with the RMA'd PSU. Won't be as much as a brand new one and they still get to sell a disk drive so you can try asking i'm sure it wont hurt.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I know rosewill makes external blu ray drives. Perhaps ask for like half off of one perhaps? Along with the RMA'd PSU. Won't be as much as a brand new one and they still get to sell a disk drive so you can try asking i'm sure it wont hurt.

I just picked up another LG (it had BDXL support and I had so little trouble with the other one I didn't wanna mess up a good thing). Now, if only I can get them to send me a replacement before I have to send this one back. If they won't, I'll probably just cut the connector off and solder a new one on. It's on the end of a strand anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard.

In this situation I would accept the replacement, buy myself a new PSU and when the replacement arrived just sell it as new/warranty replacement on ebay and use the money to get a new drive.

I wouldn't feel 100% confident about installing the replacement in my system.

If you want to change manufacturer I recommend Seasonic/Corsair, Silverstone and Enermax.

You can pick up a bluray drive for about 40 bucks now. If they do decide to reimburse you, its on their cortuesey, unless they stated that in their wqrrenty like corsair's water cooling warranty, theyre not requires to. But I never read rosewills warranty so I do not know. Try reading it, you might get a better idea of their decisiona if you know their policy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

In this situation I would accept the replacement, buy myself a new PSU and when the replacement arrived just sell it as new/warranty replacement on ebay and use the money to get a new drive.

I wouldn't feel 100% confident about installing the replacement in my system.

If you want to change manufacturer I recommend Seasonic/Corsair, Silverstone and Enermax.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards doing, however, they've ceased all communication with me at this point (it's been well over a day since our last email), and the best they've offered so far is for me to send in the broken unit and them to mail me out a new one. I may have to bite the bullet and buy me a new unit first and then just send in the old one and get it done that way and just sell it when I get it back. The unit got great reviews, and up until this had been super solid and almost silent as well.

I also don't really feel comfortable with it as is, and I was really nervous when I put in the new bluray drive and turned on the PC.

On that same note, can you guys offer some suggestions for PSU's in the 850w-1000w range that are around 150 or less (USD)? Ideally gold rated as well. I know that's a tall order, but I want to keep my options open for crossfire in the (near?) future as well, and want something solid, and preferably with good customer support. I was looking at the RM/HX 850w's from corsair, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The EVGA 850 G2 seems like a good option. It's $130, 80+ Gold and fully modular. Plus, a 10 year warranty.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

That's kind of what I was leaning towards doing, however, they've ceased all communication with me at this point (it's been well over a day since our last email), and the best they've offered so far is for me to send in the broken unit and them to mail me out a new one. I may have to bite the bullet and buy me a new unit first and then just send in the old one and get it done that way and just sell it when I get it back. The unit got great reviews, and up until this had been super solid and almost silent as well.

I also don't really feel comfortable with it as is, and I was really nervous when I put in the new bluray drive and turned on the PC.

On that same note, can you guys offer some suggestions for PSU's in the 850w-1000w range that are around 150 or less (USD)? Ideally gold rated as well. I know that's a tall order, but I want to keep my options open for crossfire in the (near?) future as well, and want something solid, and preferably with good customer support. I was looking at the RM/HX 850w's from corsair, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The EVGA 850 G2 seems like a viable option. It's $140 at NCIX right now. It is fully modular, 80 plus gold, and has a 10 year warranty.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

The EVGA 850 G2 seems like a viable option. It's $140 at NCIX right now. It is fully modular, 80 plus gold, and has a 10 year warranty.

Would you say that's a better unit than either of the corsairs? The RM850 is the same price on amazon.

Would you say that's a better unit than either of the corsairs? The RM850 is the same price on amazon.

I dunno. I would go with EVGA because of the amazing warranty.

Your Rosewill Capstone is indeed a good power supply (Super Flower Golden Green unit internally). To my understanding, this power supply didn't have any issues with your computer prior to you working on your your a client HDD, as well as this problem had only occur on the connector of which you had worked on. It seem something got damage and shorted out, in which the PSU kept on supplying power to the ODD until it had burned out. While you can say that the PSU should have turned off before any damage had taken place, but since this is a single rail design, the protection would respond to it slower especially on a larger unit.

This could also be an issue of a poor connection, and the higher resistance had created enough heat to melt / burn the connector.

The EVGA Supernova G2 is a higher-end unit than the RM850. It's based on Super Flower top-end platform, Leadex, which is among one of the best PSU currently in the market.

Your Rosewill Capstone is indeed a good power supply (Super Flower Golden Green unit internally). To my understanding, this power supply didn't have any issues with your computer prior to you working on your your a client HDD, as well as this problem had only occur on the connector of which you had worked on. It seem something got damage and shorted out, in which the PSU kept on supplying power to the ODD until it had burned out. While you can say that the PSU should have turned off before any damage had taken place, but since this is a single rail design, the protection would respond to it slower especially on a larger unit.

This could also be an issue of a poor connection, and the higher resistance had created enough heat to melt / burn the connector.

The EVGA Supernova G2 is a higher-end unit than the RM850. It's based on Super Flower top-end platform, Leadex, which is among one of the best PSU currently in the market.

It's not so much that I think it's a bad power supply, or that I wouldn't recommend it to someone. It's just that, regardless of what caused the problem, I don't know that I would fully trust a replacement, and their customer service has been less than helpful. I understand (though don't agree with) them not covering the damage to the optical drive, but for them to just stop contacting me/responding to me at all is unacceptable. I really don't want to shell out another chunk of change on a PSU (they have to be the least exciting thing to upgrade in a computer), but I'm about to the point where I don't feel like I have much of a choice if I want a working computer throughout the process (cause they don't seem inclined to send me one before the receive the defective one).

Well, they finally got back to me again, and told me that they don't do advance RMA's, so the only way to get a replacement is if I send them the defective one first. I guess I'll have to save a little more, and then I'll probably get the EVGA one, do the RMA, and try to sell the Rosewill unit. Either that, or keep it for my streaming PC, but it's way overkill for that.

Get the EVGA one, but what are your specs? Why do you want to get an 850w or 750w PSU?

Specs are listed in my sig. I want the 850w unit to give myself room in case I find a good deal on a second r9 290, or in case my next build needs more power. I'm not one of the "your build needs 500w at full power, so get a 550w or 600w unit" people. I don't care about a slight loss in efficiency from running outside the "optimum" power range or whatever. I just want to know that no matter what I put in the thing hardware wise, that PSU is going to be able to handle it.

Basically, the EVGA has a 10 year warranty, and so if I buy it, I want it to be the last power supply I buy for 10 years, regardless of what components I choose for by next build (and the one after that, and so on).

If I recall correctly the seasonic x-850 850w 80plus gold was around 144$ right now just saw it at pcpartpicker.

Live your life like a dream.

Do you guys think that the 850w would be enough for crossfire and a mild overclock (see sig, but GPU clock is more like 1000/1280)? The 1000w g2 is 30 bucks more and I'm wondering if that would be worth it. It doesn't have the "eco" mode though, and some people find it noisier.