New or used?

Isaac Rimmer

What would be better to do but a brand new 4070 or to look for a good used 3090 

Just worried if I do go used that it might not be working properly 

4070Tis are basically 3090Tis with a lot of benefits, which are, but are not limited to price and power consumption.

1 minute ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

4070Tis are basically 3090Tis with a lot of benefits, which are, but are not limited to price and power consumption.

Major caveat being vramless

Also the op is asking about a 4070

Id go used here if power efficiency isnt a top priority, 24gb of vram means that itll run upcoming titles at decent graphics for the next few years, also just being outright more powerful than a 4070

The 4070ti has the same gpu power but much more energy efficient but vramless, so itll inherently age worse as that 12gb vram kneecaps it in the coming years, but itll do very well in terms of power efficiency. Basically a more power efficient 3080ti

5 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

Oh right so it could be more worth going for a 4070 rather than the 3090. But what about the difference in vram with the 4070 only having 12 and 3090 with 24 

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Id go used here if power efficiency isnt a top priority, 24gb of vram means that itll run upcoming titles at decent graphics for the next few years, also just being outright more powerful than a 4070

The 4070ti has the same gpu power but much more energy efficient but vramless, so itll inherently age worse as that 12gb vram kneecaps it in the coming years, but itll do very well in terms of power efficiency. Basically a more power efficient 3080ti

I was thinking the vram on the 3090 would be a big benefit. So if I do look for used gpu what should I look out for 

I'd pick the 24gb anyday. I'm assuming both have same driver support for AI work.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I would go for the 24gb card. VRAM is going to be real important with newer titles. It's almost criminal that Nvidia gimped the 40 series with so little of it.

IMHO, go with a 3090, or hold out for a 50 series. But, the 3090 will consume a lot of power, so get ready for that.

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea, I accidentally mentioned the Ti versions. The VRAM is the factor to consider here. Depending on the usecase. If the Author is from Europe I would recommend lower power draw.

6 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

I'd pick the 24gb anyday. I'm assuming both have same driver support for AI work.

But OP doesnt mention any AI work? But yeah, 4070 for the energy conscious, 3090 to go all in on performance and longevity.

And yes, id go for non Ti version and pocket the 200 euro or dollar delta.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 hours ago, StDragon said:

I would go for the 24gb card. VRAM is going to be real important with newer titles. It's almost criminal that Nvidia gimped the 40 series with so little of it.

IMHO, go with a 3090, or hold out for a 50 series. But, the 3090 will consume a lot of power, so get ready for that.

Since it draws a lot more power what watt psi would you recommend 

17 hours ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

Yea, I accidentally mentioned the Ti versions. The VRAM is the factor to consider here. Depending on the usecase. If the Author is from Europe I would recommend lower power draw.

Why the lower power draw what’s it got to do with Europe 

21 hours ago, StDragon said:

What about undervolting it?  

2 hours ago, Isaac Rimmer said:

Why the lower power draw what’s it got to do with Europe 

Cheaper on the hydro bill is what he's thinking of (probably)? 

13 hours ago, Paul17 said:

What about undervolting it?  

You can try. Depending on the workload at any given moment, you could starve the GPU of power to the point of throwing errors or being non-responsive in general. When undervolting, it's a trial and error process to find the range that's stable, yet yields efficiencies that you're after.