Trying to install a second NVME drive into my system.

David_Kwan
Go to solution Solved by David_Kwan,

I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!image.thumb.png.4ffbf92c10b54d7972060e2fcca0fd5c.png

This was sooo frustrating, but I finally got it working!

So I'm not sure if this is what did it for me but these are the steps I took:

I updated to the latest BIOS, in one iteration while updating the BIOS I was able to choose to update the back up BIOS as well.

That version was F62:

image.thumb.png.0914f276618357ef07f2f2761e09a56d.png

I checked that the "capsule BIOS support" thing may have made it unable for me to downgrade my BIOS, it also gave me an option to update my back up BIOS as well so I did.

After updating to the latest BIOS I went back in to disable CSM.

Then after all that was done I tried my luck (Only OS Drive and the Crucial drive were installed at this point) and it worked!

I don't know what the exact fix was but I'm just glad I got it working.

My sister got one crucial p3 as well. Along with a new motherbaord, ram and cpu for an upgrade. Haven't had the time to set things up for her but I'd like to see if it works with her new components.

(I have been testing that second crucial drive as well, same issues).

If it works in her setup then she can take both the drives, if it doesn't work then I'll just ask my brother in law to return both of them.

Kind of afraid that it will work on her set up, if it does that'll mean there's something wrong with my system right?

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

18 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

Yes unfortunately...

Without the Crucial drive? Yes, it runs perfectly fine without it.

Should I return the settings back though?

I was hoping that wasn't the case... My brother in law got it from Taiwan, he will be heading back next month but probably won't come back in a while. Might just ask him to return it.

You want to keep it in uefi. CSM is legacy mode and if you ever plug in a 4TB+ drive it won’t work right in csm.

And to add to my previous comment, it’s almost certainly the drive since it won’t work with the new drive plugged in without the old one either.

33 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

You want to keep it in uefi. CSM is legacy mode and if you ever plug in a 4TB+ drive it won’t work right in csm.

I don't know how gigabyte Bios works but, if I disable CSM the option to choose boot option to UEFI/legacy and all those settings under CSM is gone.

Does disabling CSM automatically change it to UEFI? Or do I leave CSM enabled then just choose the booting option to UEFI?

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

31 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

I don't know how gigabyte Bios works but, if I disable CSM the option to choose boot option to UEFI/legacy and all those settings under CSM is gone.

Does disabling CSM automatically change it to UEFI? Or do I leave CSM enabled then just choose the booting option to UEFI?

Yes, disabling csm puts the bios in uefi mode.

I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!image.thumb.png.4ffbf92c10b54d7972060e2fcca0fd5c.png

This was sooo frustrating, but I finally got it working!

So I'm not sure if this is what did it for me but these are the steps I took:

I updated to the latest BIOS, in one iteration while updating the BIOS I was able to choose to update the back up BIOS as well.

That version was F62:

image.thumb.png.0914f276618357ef07f2f2761e09a56d.png

I checked that the "capsule BIOS support" thing may have made it unable for me to downgrade my BIOS, it also gave me an option to update my back up BIOS as well so I did.

After updating to the latest BIOS I went back in to disable CSM.

Then after all that was done I tried my luck (Only OS Drive and the Crucial drive were installed at this point) and it worked!

I don't know what the exact fix was but I'm just glad I got it working.

PC Specs:

Peripherals: