Software that look at a series of photos and determines what photo is sharpest?

Do anyone know about a program can do that? I have a few hundred unique photos that all of them have around 3 copies of, and I want to keep the sharpest of the 3.

Anyone know a program that can look at very similar photos and determine what one is the sharpest?

Maybe with a number as a output.

As an alternative to manually opening up photos and compare them with my eyes.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Are they copies ? if so they would be identical..you need to sort by duplicates and plenty of apps let you search by file size as well as name and type.

if you mean your camaera took 3 shots in one go and you tyhen select that is a common feature on Canon cameras but I always selected on the fly.

if you used the software where when making a photo that takes low contrast high contrast and middle ground then the 3 are normally combined as one visual image but moving to the PC you have possibly seperated out the 3 images rather than having them combined ?

6 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

The way its worded it sounds like they are Burst photos from a camera. Or the old trick of adjusting the focus just a hair retaking the same photo in hunt for the perfect focal plane - So they would not be copies. This happens a lot when you shoot wide open at like f1.7 and f1.8 or if you happen to have something crazy like 1.4 since the plane is so shallow.

@johnno23 as Micha said, they are not copies, but they are very similar. Some of them might be the exact same but not all of them.

If it was exact copies I would already know how to handle them with programs.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

I don't think an application exists right now that is capable of determining what you visualize as being the best or sharpest.

Apps can sift data and via parameters find differences but would be unable to determine what is creative and what is accidental or deliberate.

If you are concerned with only finding the sharpest images to keep then I think you need to use a tool as described here https://rbaron.net/blog/2020/02/16/How-to-identify-blurry-images.html It still looks like as much work maybe more than just visually sorting them though ?

2 hours ago, johnno23 said:

I don't think an application exists right now that is capable of determining what you visualize as being the best or sharpest.

Apps can sift data and via parameters find differences but would be unable to determine what is creative and what is accidental or deliberate.

In this case, there is no creative or deliberate blurry ness. The one with least is the best.

2 hours ago, johnno23 said:

If you are concerned with only finding the sharpest images to keep then I think you need to use a tool as described here https://rbaron.net/blog/2020/02/16/How-to-identify-blurry-images.html It still looks like as much work maybe more than just visually sorting them though ?

I will take a loo at that but first look it's not directly what I am asking for.

-Stephen Hawking

@micha_vulpes In my specific use case, its not normal nature or portrait photos, they have very little depth to them, ideal everything except maybe some of the edges should be in focus maybe 80%+ of the image. The photos in question are photos of old books and documents. (late 1800s to early 1900s) So an average value would be good enough.

At this point maybe I have spent too much time on trying to find a solution to this and rather do it manually..... 

-Stephen Hawking

If you want to keep the photos of the old documents and books sorting manually is probably the quickest.

If you wanted to use the photos to preserve the content contained within the docs and books there exist some very powerful OCR software these days that can lift the text from the image and save in text formats as PDF etc.

If it is for the latter and OCR can lift the text properly then the photo used is for reference is sharp enough. you could index them with software so that you have both the original photos together with the text page that it generated. 

in this manner you have one photo per page not several and also the text preserved in a manner that is readable without complications.

No idea if what I just posted is relevant to your situation but I am assuming you wanted to keep a copy of the books and documents for the future to prevent loss of the originals due to age theft flooding fire etc ?