Seemingly random video dropouts | Pioneer VSX-933 | NVIDIA Shield TV Pro

tomini
Go to solution Solved by tomini,

It turns out that the option the option "Set TV input to Shield when Shield wakes" or something like that (2nd option from top I believe) did the trick.

Even though the Shield was always selected it sent the signal randomly for some unknown reason and Pioneer reacted to it, thus the black screens.

Hello,

ever since I got a Pioneer VSX-933 AVR I had signal dropouts with my Shield Pro (2019). The TV is Samsung TV (PS50A457P1DXXH).

It can happen 1-3 times a day, sometimes never. Screen goes black for 0.5-1 second, but sound still works.

I tried several settings in Pioneer and Shield, even upgraded all the HDMI cables to UGREEN kabel HDMI 2.1 (8K@60Hz), but it still keeps happening.

I will have to recheck the conditions, but if I reckon it happens no matter if I watch KODI or YouTube on it.

I tried changing the HDMI port, but that didn't help. I don't see this issue while playing on consoles.

What should I do? How even should I go about troubleshooting it?

Thank you

Check if the pioneer has an update.

Could be its also defective and needs to be returned. Probably nr 2 if the shield is fine without the pioneer

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Check if the pioneer has an update.

Newest firmware.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Could be its also defective and needs to be returned.

Used, no warranty.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Probably nr 2

What?

On 7/1/2023 at 6:02 PM, tomini said:

It can happen 1-3 times a day, sometimes never. Screen goes black for 0.5-1 second, but sound still works.

I had the same problem with Onkyo 686 - near cousin of your AVR.

Check if any electrical appliances (oven, refrigerator, heck sometimes even lights) are on the same electrical circuit as Pioneer. Then try to switch on any of it and observe TV.

For me it happened only when I was pushing the limits of HDMI cables - so you could try better cables with certificate, like SCP Cables or Club3D (those two were working fine for me, there are probably more brands). By the way, how long is cable?

3 hours ago, MarkPol88 said:

Check if any electrical appliances

It doesn't behave like if microwave starts it happens as they are on separate breaker/loop. The Onkyo is on the same power strip as TV, PS4, sub etc...

3 hours ago, MarkPol88 said:

pushing the limits of HDMI cables - so you could try better cables with certificate

What certificate? What limits were you pushing?

I have HDMI 2.1 cables. The only device that is having issues is the Nvidia Shield. Before the AVR, when the Shield was connected straight into the TV, this wasn't happening.

The cable is 3m long.

5 hours ago, tomini said:

What certificate? What limits were you pushing?

Certificate:

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - Bandwidth Up To 48Gbps

And what I meant by limits - it happened only when I was using full bandwidth - for example it didn't happen when I was playing games in 1080P but when 4K 120Hz was active the cutouts would happen.

If it is possible you can test shorter cables if the problem still exist.

Or, if you live in country that allows that, you can order higher quality cables and check them - if problem still persist you can return them for free.

1 hour ago, MarkPol88 said:

Certificate:

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - Bandwidth Up To 48Gbps

And what I meant by limits - it happened only when I was using full bandwidth - for example it didn't happen when I was playing games in 1080P but when 4K 120Hz was active the cutouts would happen.

If it is possible you can test shorter cables if the problem still exist.

Or, if you live in country that allows that, you can order higher quality cables and check them - if problem still persist you can return them for free.

Again... This issue is only happening with Shield. That TV is 1080p and the content I am watching is SDR 1080p.

Don't know why are you fixating on the cables as I tried multiple.

try the shield in other hdmi inputs of the avr.
also check the settings of the avr. usually youd want the video to "passthrough" the avr and not have the avr do the processing which can cause issues (even thou they "say" it works good)

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that the option the option "Set TV input to Shield when Shield wakes" or something like that (2nd option from top I believe) did the trick.

Even though the Shield was always selected it sent the signal randomly for some unknown reason and Pioneer reacted to it, thus the black screens.