What do YOU think are the best 140mm LGA1700 air coolers?

RevGAM

I'd like to know for both single and dual tower. I'll be testing fans on it with a 12700K on my Asus TG H670 Pro wifi D4. It MUST designed for 140mm fans. Multiple options is great!

Related questions:

• Are there coolers that are made for 200mm fans?
  • If a fan's inner diameter exceeds the edges of the cooler's heatsink, at what distance will there be a loss in heat dissipation? I ask since the outside of a heatsink should get hot, too, and heatsinks designed to exactly match the square dimensions of fans neither have that byflow nor cooling of the corners to the fullest degree that an oversized fan would.
  • If I wanted to mount a larger (LxW) fan on a smaller heatsink, obviously the fan clips aren't going to work. What would be the best way to attach a fan in that situation without damaging the heatsink fins (and fan)?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Size isn't everything.

A 140 mm fan may have higher CFM, but because the fan is larger and heavier, they often don't have enough power to produce the same air pressure as a 120mm.

This is a problem that will affect a fan's performance when they need to push air though the cooler fin stack.

This is also one of many reasons that why a 120mm DeepCool AK620 can almost match a 140mm NH-D15 or 140mm Deepcool Assassin III.

As far as I aware 200mm CPU coolers never existed given they can't fit most cases. Even 140mm may have problem.

Mounting a larger fan on to a smaller cooler is not recommend, because the small amount of diameter you gained from the edges of fin stack often lost with a larger hub.

A larger hub means less air through the hottest part of the fin stack. 

Also, depend on the cooler you started with, a larger fan may cause worse performance if the case of the fan went over the fin stack. This is caused by flow love to find path of shortest resistance, so instead of going though the finstack, they go out from sides of the finstack. So center-back of the finstack have reduced flow.

19 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

Size isn't everything.

A 140 mm fan may have higher CFM, but because the fan is larger and heavier, they often don't have enough power to produce the same air pressure as a 120mm.

This is a problem that will affect a fan's performance when they need to push air though the cooler fin stack.

This is also one of many reasons that why a 120mm DeepCool AK620 can almost match a 140mm NH-D15 or 140mm Deepcool Assassin III.

As far as I aware 200mm CPU coolers never existed given they can't fit most cases. Even 140mm may have problem.

Mounting a larger fan on to a smaller cooler is not recommend, because the small amount of diameter you gained from the edges of fin stack often lost with a larger hub.

A larger hub means less air through the hottest part of the fin stack. 

Also, depend on the cooler you started with, a larger fan may cause worse performance if the case of the fan went over the fin stack. This is caused by flow love to find path of shortest resistance, so instead of going though the finstack, they go out from sides of the finstack. So center-back of the finstack have reduced flow.

I understand and thank you for the info. However, that doesn't change the fact that I need recommendations for 140mm coolers because I'm testing 140mm fans on them. I certainly can't mount them on my U12A.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

20 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I understand and thank you for the info. However, that doesn't change the fact that I need recommendations for 140mm coolers because I'm testing 140mm fans on them. I certainly can't mount them on my U12A.

A nhd15 and call it a day

Scythe Susanoo can fit a 200mm fan.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

8 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Scythe Susanoo can fit a 200mm fan.

Interesting, but I can't find the SCSO-1000 anywhere. Not even on the Scythe website. It's discontinued, too. And no LGA1700.

Noctua NH-C14S

Honestly the NH-C14S might be the best for this if you're okay with the parallel mount. Otherwise you might be better running the fans on a 140mm single AIO with a heat source on the block. 

Thermalright FC140.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, TeraSeraph said:

Noctua NH-C14S

Honestly the NH-C14S might be the best for this if you're okay with the parallel mount. Otherwise you might be better running the fans on a 140mm single AIO with a heat source on the block. 

Well, I want to be able to approximate the U12A for 140s. Aren't rads denser than heatsinks?

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Thermalright FC140.

I knew you'd chose that one. 😉

16 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I knew you'd chose that one. 😉

I told you all that I was a huge Thermalright fanboy. Been that way for over 20 years 😄

Not much different than a Noctua fanboy, just a little louder 😄

Its also got more mass, and more cooling potential than a D15.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Thermalright FC140.

Will the fan clips on this one work with standard size fans? that's my biggest concern.

Just now, TeraSeraph said:

Will the fan clips on this one work with standard size fans? that's my biggest concern.

Yeah I have used my FC140 with NF-A14 and NF-F12 3K fans with no problem. I now use NF-A14 3K and T30 together when I use FC140.

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Well, I want to be able to approximate the U12A for 140s. Aren't rads denser than heatsinks?

apparently the NH-U14S is compatible with 140x140x25 so that's a single tower option. 

@freeagent@TeraSeraph@jaslion@Ralf@Supersonicwolfe

Ok, so there are plenty of others. Additionally, no one has answered my other two questions.

Single Tower:

Noctua C14S, U14S

Dual Tower:

Noctua D15

Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Surely there are others? DeepCool Assassin 4, AS500 PLUS or Tower? Cryorig R5?

9 hours ago, RevGAM said:

• Are there coolers that are made for 200mm fans?

200 x 200 heatexchangers for cars? tbh I'm wondering why you want to test these on a heatsink? They're designed as case fans with low pressure performance.

• If a fan's inner diameter exceeds the edges of the cooler's heatsink, at what distance will there be a loss in heat dissipation? I ask since the outside of a heatsink should get hot, too, and heatsinks designed to exactly match the square dimensions of fans neither have that byflow nor cooling of the corners to the fullest degree that an oversized fan would.

It starts to effect things as soon as there's pressure leakage. adding foam gaskets top and bottom flush with the fin stack will solve the bypass issue.

• If I wanted to mount a larger (LxW) fan on a smaller heatsink, obviously the fan clips aren't going to work. What would be the best way to attach a fan in that situation without damaging the heatsink fins (and fan)?

holding the fan on a separate frame that is then brought up to the heat sink is an option, this way there's no damage to either . 

6 minutes ago, TeraSeraph said:

200 x 200 heatexchangers for cars? tbh I'm wondering why you want to test these on a heatsink? They're designed as case fans with low pressure performance.

That's a fair point. I'll have to figure out something else, since the Extech AN300 doesn't look good.

6 minutes ago, TeraSeraph said:

It starts to effect things as soon as there's pressure leakage. adding foam gaskets top and bottom flush with the fin stack will solve the bypass issue.

So the byflow won't benefit the cooler at all? Then why put 140s on coolers like the D15 when there's byflow?

7 minutes ago, TeraSeraph said:

holding the fan on a separate frame that is then brought up to the heat sink is an option, this way there's no damage to either . 

I'll keep that in mind, but then there's the issue of byflow, and I've got no skills in 3D design to 3D print a trumpet or adapter.

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

That's a fair point. I'll have to figure out something else, since the Extech AN300 doesn't look good.

I've given up looking for better anemometers. My cheapo BTmeter is actually reading more accurately than another wand style unit I just got.

So the byflow won't benefit the cooler at all? Then why put 140s on coolers like the D15 when there's byflow?

There's a difference between what you want for a live PC vs for more sterile lab testing. I am on the side of eliminating variables for cleaner data. By flow is usually good, and with a 140mm the by flow will cool the ram and VRM. The larger heatsinks take advantage of the greater airflow of a 140mm fan. Even if you miss a little of the air the majority of the heat pipes are getting cooled in the highest flow areas of the heatsink. 

I'll keep that in mind, but then there's the issue of byflow, and I've got no skills in 3D design to 3D print a trumpet or adapter.

Hot glue and cheap plastic flower pots =] tapered adapters found easy.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Surely there are others?

Out of those that you listed maybe the Deep Ass?