All games crash within 10 minutes of opening

Abzilla

Hi

Whenever I play a game, usually within 10 minutes it crashes. This can include RDR2, ETS2 etc. The only game I have not experienced such is in minecraft. I am unsure what the issue could be as I have updated my GPU driver.

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

20 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

Hi

Whenever I play a game, usually within 10 minutes it crashes. This can include RDR2, ETS2 etc. The only game I have not experienced such is in minecraft. I am unsure what the issue could be as I have updated my GPU driver.

It might be an graphics driver issue.

if you recently updated the driver it might be the new driver caused the issue, if so restore windows, always create an restore point with every driver you install.

It might be your driver is outdated.

It mgiht also be the graphics card or CPU is overheating causing issues. check the temps, if they are fine it's unlikely it.

but unlikely. Asus cards are have great cooling, so not that, unless you have damaged the card, which is highly unlikely.

If temps are high despite great cooler on the Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition there might be something wrong with the card or the driver. But unlikely something is wrong with the card.

If temps are high despite using a great CPU cooler, it could be due to lack of thermal paste. But if temps are fine. It's not that.

Do other software crash? is it only games?

21 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

what kind of crashing, back to desktop, blue screen, everything is dark? 

is your problem new? or just happened recently? 

have you checked your temps? 
changed something in your system?

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

I think you should be more specific on what's happening, and also provide any sensor or logging data. If there are crash logs, we can help decipher them.

• By crashing, are you crashing to desktop, or the whole PC shuts down?
  • When did this start happening? You mentioned the GPU drivers were updated, but did you mean before or after as a troubleshooting step?
  • Do you have any overclocking going on or any thing significant data coming from HWinfo?

Specs:

• 5950X -30 all core curve, +200 Mhz offset
  • H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

Firstly, I apologise for giving so few details about what is going on. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, but i haven't addressed this as I took a break from my PC to deal with uni work. I would say this likely started from November last year.

41 minutes ago, mtbboy1993 said:

It might be an graphics driver issue.

if you recently updated the driver it might be the new driver caused the issue, if so restore windows, always create an restore point with every driver you install.

It might be your driver is outdated.

It mgiht also be the graphics card or CPU is overheating causing issues. check the temps, if they are fine it's unlikely it.

but unlikely. Asus cards are have great cooling, so not that, unless you have damaged the card, which is highly unlikely.

If temps are high despite great cooler on the Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition there might be something wrong with the card or the driver. But unlikely something is wrong with the card.

If temps are high despite using a great CPU cooler, it could be due to lack of thermal paste. But if temps are fine. It's not that.

Do other software crash? is it only games?

1. As mentioned this has been going on for a while, and throughout this time I have been updating my drivers

2. as above

3. as above

4. this could be possible as my CPU idles at about 70C pushing to mid 80s during gameplay. The GPU temps tend to remain under 65C under load with fans on at minimum power (36%) and idles at 55C with no fans

5. I have only experienced this in games.

33 minutes ago, SamClan said:

what kind of crashing, back to desktop, blue screen, everything is dark? 

is your problem new? or just happened recently? 

have you checked your temps? 
changed something in your system?

1. My pc freezes momentarily still playing fixed audio (i.e. what ever sound was on is continuing) then the game closes to desktop. I have viewed task manager and can see all CPU cores reach full utilisation briefly

2. This is quite an old issue which has been occurring since November

3. CPU temps are questionable, however I've heard ryzen likes to run hot

4. Before these issues started, I installed a 1tb samsung 980 Pro gen 4 m.2 ssd, but this was not immediately after installing the m.2

32 minutes ago, Damocles Ti said:

I think you should be more specific on what's happening, and also provide any sensor or logging data. If there are crash logs, we can help decipher them.

• By crashing, are you crashing to desktop, or the whole PC shuts down?
  • When did this start happening? You mentioned the GPU drivers were updated, but did you mean before or after as a troubleshooting step?
  • Do you have any overclocking going on or any thing significant data coming from HWinfo?

1. as above

2. As above

3. My CPU has was using an automatic OC through ryzen master, however I have since disabled this. I need to double check if XMP is on which I will do now and will update this post shortly. Also, I am unfamiliar with HWinfo but I have attached a few pictures.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

IMG-6068.jpg

8.thumb.JPG.f82e3ee39acb454c578047ed6889c9f9.JPGI have just been casually using my PC to watch youtube and whatnot and have seen the CPU rise upto 86C. I feel like the CPU might be overheating

15 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

this could be possible as my CPU idles at about 70C pushing to mid 80s during gameplay

I have the 5950x, 4 more active cores and I idle at ~50 degrees. 70 degrees on 4 less cores at idle is not normal on the same architecture

Have you installed the chipset drivers for Ryzen yet? I think that might help the CPU power weirdness

19 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

1.JPG

Strange the CPU is not detected correctly. I'd install the AMD drivers and see if things help. Also I HWinfo is primarily used for the sensor's window. It shows all sensor information like voltages, min-max frequencies, etc. Try to run that in the background, play a game or 2, screenshot the results

Specs:

• H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

20 minutes ago, Damocles Ti said:

I have the 5950x, 4 more active cores and I idle at ~50 degrees. 70 degrees on 4 less cores at idle is not normal on the same architecture

Have you installed the chipset drivers for Ryzen yet? I think that might help the CPU power weirdness

Strange the CPU is not detected correctly. I'd install the AMD drivers and see if things help. Also I HWinfo is primarily used for the sensor's window. It shows all sensor information like voltages, min-max frequencies, etc. Try to run that in the background, play a game or 2, screenshot the results

I have just installed the AMD drivers but HWinfo still says there is an intel pentium inside. In addition, idling temps have remained in the 70s9.thumb.JPG.d0674f8e420667af47ae4277ead0623e.JPG

@Abzilla can you right click the bottom right task bar on the HWinfo icon, the blue square with the white lines, and then screenshot the sensors window. Your screenshots right now are of the summary and main window, which just shows the components you have. Also I assume you restarted your computer after installing AMD drivers?

Specs:

• H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

6 minutes ago, Damocles Ti said:

@Abzilla can you right click the bottom right task bar on the HWinfo icon, the blue square with the white lines, and then screenshot the sensors window. Your screenshots right now are of the summary and main window, which just shows the components you have. Also I assume you restarted your computer after installing AMD drivers?

Yep, I rebooted after installing the AMDdriver

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

2 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

Yep, I rebooted after installing the AMDdriver

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

You can press the <--> button on the bottom left to make the long list appear on the screen better, but this is what I immediately noticed being wrong: image.png.77b1485a1dd9b253cd4812bc04d4dd10.png
The SOC voltage is normally 1.08V-1.1V, your memory controller might be at risk of DYING very soon if you let it go to 1.4+V Can you head into bios and make sure your SOC voltage is set to auto?

Specs:

• H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

9 minutes ago, Damocles Ti said:

You can press the <--> button on the bottom left to make the long list appear on the screen better, but this is what I immediately noticed being wrong: image.png.77b1485a1dd9b253cd4812bc04d4dd10.png
The SOC voltage is normally 1.08V-1.1V, your memory controller might be at risk of DYING very soon if you let it go to 1.4+V Can you head into bios and make sure your SOC voltage is set to auto?

I believe SOC voltage has been set to auto. Sorry for not clicking the arrows

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.JPG

18.JPG

Did you try updating BIOS. It's a pretty old version from 2 years ago, and it's also not listed on their website which is a bad sign that they no longer support it due to some bug (usually bios files are pulled if they have a bad build). I assume updating the bios might fix the sensor data and the VRM blasting the CPU to a constant 70 degrees

Specs:

• H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

6 hours ago, Abzilla said:

8.thumb.JPG.f82e3ee39acb454c578047ed6889c9f9.JPGI have just been casually using my PC to watch youtube and whatnot and have seen the CPU rise upto 86C. I feel like the CPU might be overheating

That's a bad sign.  it should be around 30c even with stock fan. But games are much more CPU and GPU heavy. If it was fine before and it's bad now it mgiht be thermal paste needs changing, at least that's what people have been saying. But if it was like this from the start it might lack thermal paste, or you need better cooling.

5 hours ago, Damocles Ti said:

Did you try updating BIOS. It's a pretty old version from 2 years ago, and it's also not listed on their website which is a bad sign that they no longer support it due to some bug (usually bios files are pulled if they have a bad build). I assume updating the bios might fix the sensor data and the VRM blasting the CPU to a constant 70 degrees

I agree with this guy, update your bios.

10 hours ago, Abzilla said:

remained in the 70s

Dude that is to hot way to hot Screenshot_2023-06-30-10-24-58-086_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.19b9b67726ec6fb47b6d72cb3403682d.jpg

Have you checked if the pump is running on 100%, you can find that in bios check the headset you are using 

Thermal paste has spread enough? 

CPU and cooler are good commented? 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

The issue has escalated after trying to update the bios. I tried installing the latest non-beta bios update. I did this by entering m flash, but after this the pc will not post. I have tried taking the CMOS battery out, left 1x16gb ram stick, unplugged all drives other than OS. However on my motherboard the white boot light has remained on. I have tried changing the display ports/hdmi between two of my monitors but this still has not worked.

I’m not too sure what I can do from here

2 hours ago, SamClan said:

Dude that is to hot way to hot Screenshot_2023-06-30-10-24-58-086_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.19b9b67726ec6fb47b6d72cb3403682d.jpg

Have you checked if the pump is running on 100%, you can find that in bios check the headset you are using 

Thermal paste has spread enough? 

CPU and cooler are good commented? 

6 hours ago, mtbboy1993 said:

That's a bad sign.  it should be around 30c even with stock fan. But games are much more CPU and GPU heavy. If it was fine before and it's bad now it mgiht be thermal paste needs changing, at least that's what people have been saying. But if it was like this from the start it might lack thermal paste, or you need better cooling.

Once the bios issue is sorted, I will replace the thermal compound

1 minute ago, Abzilla said:

The issue has escalated after trying to update the bios

did you fully update your bios or interrupted while doing so? 

you should be able to redo the bios update

image.png.d2a683cc056f714d0814b74b4fe6a54e.png

3 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

e white boot light has remained on

image.thumb.png.8022e0c1863d104a6e27ffdbe12d59d0.png

which one of those? the Boot one? 

2 minutes ago, SamClan said:

did you fully update your bios or interrupted while doing so? 

you should be able to redo the bios update

image.png.d2a683cc056f714d0814b74b4fe6a54e.png

image.thumb.png.8022e0c1863d104a6e27ffdbe12d59d0.png

which one of those? the Boot one? 

the pc hasn’t posted since entering mflash mode

Yes the bottom boot one

can you try to  re-flash it? 

23 minutes ago, SamClan said:

can you try to  re-flash it? 

What is recommended to remove when flashing a mobo in a built system? I tried referring to the manual but it only gave advice for new builds.

You can practically remove pretty much everything. I believe all you need is the PSU and motherboard, but I would keep everything thus far connected (there's no reason to remove anything unless there's an obvious short circuit, or a defective memory module). You should download and place the file on a default formatted Fat32 USB, and place it in the back of the motherboard that says "flash bios" top left upper most USB port. Basically follow this guide which is your motherboard: https://www.mbreviews.com/update-msi-x570-bios-amd-zen3/

Specs:

• H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

On 6/30/2023 at 1:53 PM, Damocles Ti said:

You can practically remove pretty much everything. I believe all you need is the PSU and motherboard, but I would keep everything thus far connected (there's no reason to remove anything unless there's an obvious short circuit, or a defective memory module). You should download and place the file on a default formatted Fat32 USB, and place it in the back of the motherboard that says "flash bios" top left upper most USB port. Basically follow this guide which is your motherboard: https://www.mbreviews.com/update-msi-x570-bios-amd-zen3/

A current update: I removed everything (including ram) from the pc excluding the cpu and now we’re posting again! I will reinstall everything and come back with a follow up update

39 minutes ago, Abzilla said:

A current update: I removed everything (including ram) from the pc excluding the cpu and now we’re posting again! I will reinstall everything and come back with a follow up update

please check your CPU and Cooler it is way to hot on idle

On 6/29/2023 at 11:40 PM, Abzilla said:

4. this could be possible as my CPU idles at about 70C pushing to mid 80s during gameplay.

don't forget to check

bios setting pump on 100%