is my 4090 broken?

HungryHamster
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
4 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Thanks for your response. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by how it is wired. I'm using the "CableMod RT-Series Pro ModFlex Sleeved 12VHPWR Cable Kit for ASUS and Seasonic with the 16-pin to 4 x 8-pin PCI-e Cable." I have had no issues with this for 6 months.

I have not tried to toggle that switch from performance to quiet mode, but I will try that. I was under the impression that only changed the fan profile.

Those vBIOS will change fan and boosting profiles, including TDP, depending on what Asus does about it. That can affect what voltage the GPU core is operating at and is technically a different vBIOS. If there's something up with the primary vBIOS, then that's a mechanism to test that.

I would also test using the included adapter, I had a defective cablemod internally adapted cable that would cause similar issues, if not just straight reboots. They do mess some up, maybe if that's just a bad cable that took 6 months to degrade enough.

25 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

I tested the other vBIOS that you can toggle to with the Quiet or Performance mode switch on the top of the card and unfortunately I was still getting this error. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've added it to the growing list of troubleshooting steps I've tried.

The other thing to try is to force a lower PCIe configuration. De8aur had an issue with his RTX 4090 strix that was a fault in the PCIe bus. He'd have to run it in 8x to fix it.

I tried to repair my RTX 4090 and killed it :( - YouTube

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

8 hours ago, Agall said:

The other thing to try is to force a lower PCIe configuration. De8aur had an issue with his RTX 4090 strix that was a fault in the PCIe bus. He'd have to run it in 8x to fix it.

I tried to repair my RTX 4090 and killed it :( - YouTube

I'll certainly try that, but I'm not sure how. Do I change the PCIe configuration to 8x in the BIOS? If so, where would I find that setting?

6 hours ago, HungryHamster said:

I'll certainly try that, but I'm not sure how. Do I change the PCIe configuration to 8x in the BIOS? If so, where would I find that setting?

Intel® 13th & 12th Gen Processors*
2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 slots (support x16 or x8/x8 modes)**

Should be a UEFI setting in advanced to set it to 8x/8x, otherwise you can force it with a secondary PCIe device in the 2nd slot, if that's even possible with that card.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Hey HungryHamster, did you manage to fix the issue as I'm experiencing the same errors as you with the Strix 4090? Almost every time I boot my PC at the start of the day, my PC starts acting strangely by only showing an image on one of my monitors instead of both and the GPU seems to act very strangely in games. The FPS stutters like crazy and is very low compared to how it should be which is shown by giant spikes in the frametime graph in Rivatuner. As soon as I restart the PC though, everything goes back to normal and I can play games without issues. Each time this happens I get the same errors as you in event viewer.