7800x3d Motherboard dilemma

Greetings dear Tech Tips techs. 

Recently I have decided to go with the 7800x3d as my soon to be new cpu and pair it with 32gb of Gskill cl30 6000 mhz ram. However I find myself unable to decide on a motherboard. 

I had originally settled on the MSI b650 EDGE WIFI but reviews speak of horrid instability with the latest non-beta bios.

I have read bad things about Gygabyte motherboards and coil whine.

I have read bad things about Asus and Asrock lower tier models.

I have read bad things about Msi recent bios drivers and blue screens.

I am looking for a board between 200-300euros/dollars but it seems that every motherboard will require a bios update to run the 7800x3d and I don't know either which mobo to go for or which bios version because people have a lot to say about unstable bios versions across various threads. 

I would be thankful for any decent suggestions. 

Thank you all in advance

8 minutes ago, JurajD said:

Recently I have decided to go with the 7800x3d as my soon to be new cpu and pair it with 32gb of Gskill cl30 6000 mhz ram. However I find myself unable to decide on a motherboard. 

I am looking for a board between 200-300euros/dollars but it seems that every motherboard will require a bios update to run the 7800x3d and I don't know either which mobo to go for or which bios version because people have a lot to say about unstable bios versions across various threads. 

Thank you all in advance

You have to remember that you will ONLY read negative comments about anything. NO one is making a thread that goes: Hey, My MSI TUF Steel 911 B650 is awesome! Works 100%.   And the negative comments are probably in in the 0.1-1% of all board owners of that particular brand or board.  There are also so many other variables at play like GPU, RAM speed / compatability and more that could cause it to crash, not the board itself.
I have personally used the ASUS TUF B650 PLUS WIFI in 15+ builds with all the 7000 series CPU's without any issues.

You can find bad reviews about every single motherboard online. Its just how things are. 

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Asus B650E-E platform with 7800X3D. No Bios update was required, no problems at all so far. I've even tried some overclocking and it worked fine.

Speaking of Bios update, you can do it without the CPU. All you need is a motherboard, a USB stick and a power supply. Alot of modern boards have Quick Flash allowing you to update the Bios with nothing on the board.

Since 7800X3D is so efficient, you don't need a board with some insane power delivery or overclocking capabilities. It does everything on its own. Overclocks to 5Ghz nad only consumes 60-70W of power.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

7 minutes ago, JurajD said:

Thank you all in advance

Every motherboard is a sample of 1 when it comes to failures outside of rampant UEFI issues that AM5 has been plagued with (especially in Asus boards).

Overall, Gigabyte has the best value motherboards in my opinion, but can be hit or miss depending on the model. I was a long time Asus fan, but their quality has deteriorated over the years while proportionally increasing the price. Asrock is sleeper, but I generally only buy their niche boards than general consumer boards. MSI has a terrible UEFI that I try to avoid like the plague, but generally makes good decisions on motherboard layout/rear IO.

I would just pick a B650e board that fits your budget. If that doesn't narrow it down, then look at rear I/O, aesthetics, and any particularly unique feature they may have over the others.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

You can find bad reviews about every single motherboard online. Its just how things are. 

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Asus B650E-E platform with 7800X3D. No Bios update was required, no problems at all so far. I've even tried some overclocking and it worked fine.

Speaking of Bios update, you can do it without the CPU. All you need is a motherboard, a USB stick and a power supply. Alot of modern boards have Quick Flash allowing you to update the Bios with nothing on the board.

Since 7800X3D is so efficient, you don't need a board with some insane power delivery or overclocking capabilities. It does everything on its own. Overclocks to 5Ghz nad only consumes 60-70W of power.

Oh really. Just plug and play? wasn't there an issue with the 7800x3d frying up unless you update the bios? if you don't mind saying which board this is.

Thank you all very much. Is it even needed to update the bios for the 7800x3d to work? I have read things about 7800x3ds frying out due to EXPO or something along those lines and thus the bios updates were needed. I would prefer not to have to update the bios if possible.

11 minutes ago, JurajD said:

Oh really. Just plug and play? wasn't there an issue with the 7800x3d frying up unless you update the bios? if you don't mind saying which board this is.

I contacted the seller regarding the Bios version of the motherboard (Its Asus ROG Strix B650E-E WiFi by the way) and they said all of their Asus boards have updated Bios that won't fry your chip.

So you might want to contact the seller for clarification.

Other than that it's a high-quality B650 board with all bells and whistles you might need to build a top-tier gaming rig on. Even has the Q-Code screen for easy troubleshooting. A feature I've only seen on top tier overclocking boards, not a high end of mid-range board.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

11 minutes ago, JurajD said:

Thank you all very much. Is it even needed to update the bios for the 7800x3d to work? I have read things about 7800x3ds frying out due to EXPO or something along those lines and thus the bios updates were needed. I would prefer not to have to update the bios if possible.

On most boards you would have to update the BIOS to make the X3D chip work, Updating the BIOS on modern motherboards is extremely easy and a lot more risk free than it used to be.  Why don't you find a board you like and I can help you out with that particular board and show you exactly how you update the BIOS, if that is something you want.  Look for a board that has EzFlash or Q-Flash or similar, as you can update the BIOS without CPU / RAM in the board.

45 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

On most boards you would have to update the BIOS to make the X3D chip work, Updating the BIOS on modern motherboards is extremely easy and a lot more risk free than it used to be.  Why don't you find a board you like and I can help you out with that particular board and show you exactly how you update the BIOS, if that is something you want.  Look for a board that has EzFlash or Q-Flash or similar, as you can update the BIOS without CPU / RAM in the board.

Ah Mr. Clarkson, how sweet are you. I am currently looking at the ASUS b650e-f gaming wifi and the bios version 1413 that most people seem to be happy with. All in all it looks like a good board, albeit somewhat expensive.

Next one would be the MSI b650 EDGE Wifi

23 hours ago, JurajD said:

Ah Mr. Clarkson, how sweet are you. I am currently looking at the ASUS b650e-f gaming wifi and the bios version 1413 that most people seem to be happy with. All in all it looks like a good board, albeit somewhat expensive.

Next one would be the MSI b650 EDGE Wifi

They will all perform very equal.  Hardware Unboxed just released this monstrosity of a video.
35 B650 boards tested 😄  Have a look ( time stamps on the line to boards you like )